TPMS

soprano54

Reaction score
According to Audi my S3 is fitted with direct TPMS and therefore l should be able to see individual tyre pressures somewhere in the MMI! Or have l got the wrong end of the stick?

Not sure what yours has, but mine uses the ABS encoders to measure the relative speed of each wheel and detect low pressure in the tyres from the relative change in speed. So with this system you won't see the actual pressures.
In my car's manual it says to check the tyre pressures (when cold) then confirm. This gives the baseline for checking the speed of rotation.
In my old Skoda Superb this was particularly sensitive, to the point that if you had, say, one tyre on 3mm and one tyre on 7mm on the same axle this would set it off (and continue to do so until the tyres were similarly worn).

Reactions: soprano54
This one has me perplexed, 100 miles into ownership, driving home the other night I get the light on the dash to say loss of tyre pressure...so fearing the worst I pulled into the nearest layby to check for a puncture and....nothing - all tyres as they should be. So grabbed the manual and searched for way to check tyre pressures (and yes its in there HOW to do it) but nothing in the MMI...just the option to set the pressure and no physical indication of what the value for each wheel is...strange as its been on every car I have had for years...

My A6 says direct tpms in the tech specs in myAudi but like ElDingo's prior Skoda Superb (and mine) the TPMS is ABS based. Before you'd register the tire pressures when moving (or at least I thought you had to do that as it was possible and the rotational speed was being measured) but on the A6 you can ONLY store the "pressures" when the car is stationary.

(On another point what you can and cannot do in the MMI whilst the car is moving is hugely inconsistent!). The Superb was very sensitive and gave many a false alarm. Audi - not once so far.

A3 Tpms is a strange one. Went off twice, in 3 yrs, both times no actual loss of pressure (have handheld thing to check). First time it went off I just swapped tires fronts with rears and vv went off only after 100 miles of driving, 2nd time was a week ago, after swapping passengers (4 of us inc driver) from fronts to back and probably disrupted the balance, went off after 15 mins of the swap. Parked up car and came back to it 4 hrs later notice still there so checked, pressures normal with handheld thing, reset it 'store tyre pressures' then it was fine