A6 Audi phone box

demus

Fire in the hole..
Reaction score
What are people’s thoughts on the Audi phone box?
It seems when I out my phone iPhone 12 in the phone box it starts to wirelessly charge and the green bar lights up in the dash symbol, but after not much time the green bar goes out and the hope stops charging, and is quite warm.
I’ve read also that you have to register the phone box with your mobile provider to get it to transfer the signal from the external antenna to the phone, to help get a better signal?
Just wondered if anyone’s had much experience with it?

nah, registering your phone won't give you better signal. that's all directly from the phone to the cell towers. in the olden days, yes, IF you had an antenna cable connected to the phone. but that's 25 year old tech and not necessary any longer.
wireless charging is tricky because the phone -regardless of model- had to be almost perfectly centered right over that magnet/wired charging spot on the back of the phone. it shifts while you're driving and boom, wireless charging is gone...

Reactions: demus
nah, registering your phone won't give you better signal. that's all directly from the phone to the cell towers. in the olden days, yes, IF you had an antenna cable connected to the phone. but that's 25 year old tech and not necessary any longer.
wireless charging is tricky because the phone -regardless of model- had to be almost perfectly centered right over that magnet/wired charging spot on the back of the phone. it shifts while you're driving and boom, wireless charging is gone...
I must admit when reading it it sounded odd, there’s no mention of it in the manual either of such registering, just the car effectively gives you an external antenna.
Yeh the only thing I found regarding the charger were Audi supplied centering pieces to hold the phone in the correct position.
I’ve got a good 5 or 6 hour run on Monday so I’ll try and hold the phone in place and see how it goes