Pushed my bonnet down when closing it and it popped in and out where it’s soft metal

Jason1987

Reaction score
I haven’t damaged the paint or metal doing that have I? I’ve made myself paranoid now lol.

If you haven't creased it, you'll be fine - just Don't make a habit of it. When you close the bonnet, you want to let the bonnet drop from about 18" higher than the closed position to overcome the bonnet catch spring and latch properly.

Reactions: engies
If you haven't creased it, you'll be fine - just Don't make a habit of it. When you close the bonnet, you want to let the bonnet drop from about 18" higher than the closed position to overcome the bonnet catch spring and latch properly.
Well I hope it’s not creased, it looks ok but then It’s been raining lol. I didn’t push it in that badly, I just felt it push in and pop back out again. just made me worried that it might crease or can a bonnet take a bit of bending before it does any creasing?

Well I hope it’s not creased, it looks ok but then It’s been raining lol. I didn’t push it in that badly, I just felt it push in and pop back out again. just made me worried that it might crease or can a bonnet take a bit of bending before it does any creasing?
They are incredibly thin these days and if you press too hard when drying or polishing you will feel it flex - All about saving weight I'm afraid

Do as Monkey Hanger said drop the bonnet from a small height and it will close ok

I always do this rather than press down

H
They are incredibly thin these days and if you press too hard when drying or polishing you will feel it flex - All about saving weight I'm afraid

Do as Monkey Hanger said drop the bonnet from a small height and it will close ok

I always do this rather than press down
But it doesn’t do any damage when it flexes in and out does it?

On my new S3, the bonnet doesn't seem to want to close properly when I just let it drop. It closes on the right hand side but the left hand side doesn't "engage" with the clasp and I therefore have to press it down to fully close it.

Where the bonnet so much lighter these days, it's as though it's not heavy enough to close itself when being dropped.

It almost feels like the spring strut is not "releasing" until it's too far down, then the bonnet has hardly any height to "freefall" drop from?

Is this common on the new 8Y model or should I get Audi to look at it?

Reactions: Simon50s
On my new S3, the bonnet doesn't seem to want to close properly when I just let it drop. It closes on the right hand side but the left hand side doesn't "engage" with the clasp and I therefore have to press it down to fully close it.

Where the bonnet so much lighter these days, it's as though it's not heavy enough to close itself when being dropped.

It almost feels like the spring strut is not "releasing" until it's too far down, then the bonnet has hardly any height to "freefall" drop from?

It's exactly how mine feels. I try to give it a firm but gentle push down while there's still about 15 cms of a drop, so far worked alright.

I've just experienced the same issue today on my new saloon.

I opened the bonnet for the first time since I've had the car and it wouldn't drop close. In the end the only way I could get it to engage was to gently apply pressure onto the area above the catches - something I didn't want to do. I was very careful.

I also noticed that it was a bit easier to engage on the right hand side but not the left.

I was told that the bonnet was made of aluminuim so it could be that it's not having enough weight to drop firmly enough, especially if the car is new and movement/catches are stiff?

I'd also be interested to here from others with new 8Y's if they've experienced anything similar - is there a simple solution :question:

I always drop mine from a small height and had no issues. The bonnet is thin and does sometimes flex when cleaning/ drying after a wash but no damage done so far. I noticed the difference between my MK 7 Golf GTD in 2015 and my Golf R in 2019 how much thinner the bonnet was.

The bonnet skin is aluminum which makes lighter and more flexible than steel, I try pull it down with one of the clamps underneath then get my hand out of the way rather than pressing it from the top.

I have now managed to "master" this.

I bring the bonnet down until it's only got about 10 inches to fall, then I give it quite a hard "shove" downwards and it then closes OK on it's own without me having to push down on the bonnet once it's all the way down.

I have now managed to "master" this.

I bring the bonnet down until it's only got about 10 inches to fall, then I give it quite a hard "shove" downwards and it then closes OK on it's own without me having to push down on the bonnet once it's all the way down.
I'll give that a go next time.

Sometime spent reading the owners manual pays dividends.

IMG 5901

Sometime spent reading the owners manual pays dividends.

View attachment 276218
Yes, I had already read that but it just says exactly the same thing in the user manual for my old A3 Sportback 8P.

In fact I just went outside and found that the method suggested by replicant71 works - it needs a slight forced pull down at the end rather than simply letting it drop itself under it's own weight, as I could with the old car. Seems Audi just used the wording from the old user manual.

IMG 6346

• Haha
Reactions: 8YARWY and Tzsteve