2018 S5

s5joe

Reaction score
I have not been on here for a while but I have got myself a 2018 S5 coupe. Not too sure if it’s just me coming from a diesel but it feels lumpy when you first start it in the morning and the same for about 1 mile driving after starting it. Has anyone got any ideas. It’s done 33k with full Audi history

It's been a few months since you asked so you're probably used to it now, but It's normal until the gearbox and engine warm up.

I went from a 2.0 diesel b9 to a b9 RS5, this has a very similar engine and gearbox to the S5 and I felt the same lumpy feeling, almost as if the car is bouncing during acceleration.

If you drive off before letting the rev's settle down during the cold start it's worse. If you wait the 10-15 seconds to let the revs settle it's better but still there until it's warmer (usually within the first 2-3 minutes for me).

It's been a few months since you asked so you're probably used to it now, but It's normal until the gearbox and engine warm up.

I went from a 2.0 diesel b9 to a b9 RS5, this has a very similar engine and gearbox to the S5 and I felt the same lumpy feeling, almost as if the car is bouncing during acceleration.

If you drive off before letting the rev's settle down during the cold start it's worse. If you wait the 10-15 seconds to let the revs settle it's better but still there until it's warmer (usually within the first 2-3 minutes for me).
Hi. I do like to let the revs settle down before I move off and don’t take it over 2k. But I have had it on Vcds too and found it does have a misfire on it so going to get some new plugs and coil packs too. I have also changed the air filter as it looks like Audi have got it wrong with there intervals on this 60k no chance I am old style every 12k.
IMG 3655

Yep, I don't agree with the 60k interval either for the air filter. I'm sure when I had the diesel and I took it in for service between 2017-2020 they would change the air filter during the major service with inspection, so every 2 years for me. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking they changed this policy in the last couple of years maybe.

I used to hoover out the filter/ airbox every year (18k miles) but now it's every 6 months as I've fitted an BMC air filter. I'm stage 1 tuned so it helps with the air flow. I changed my plugs 2 years ago, not changed the coil packs yet, currently on 65k miles.

Yep, I don't agree with the 60k interval either for the air filter. I'm sure when I had the diesel and I took it in for service between 2017-2020 they would change the air filter during the major service with inspection, so every 2 years for me. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking they changed this policy in the last couple of years maybe.

I used to hoover out the filter/ airbox every year (18k miles) but now it's every 6 months as I've fitted an BMC air filter. I'm stage 1 tuned so it helps with the air flow. I changed my plugs 2 years ago, not changed the coil packs yet, currently on 65k miles.
Yer I am going to start to hover mine out too.

I am just awaiting to see if there is a deal to be done for plugs and coil packs from a supplier in the uk and change them at the same time as another one does it in the us and gives the red top packs with it saves doing it twice if you get me.