Heating Controls

NigelG

Reaction score
So this is a new one. Add it to the list of things that are broken and don't work (on my wifes 8Y, 21 Plate A3 S-Line Sportback)
Anyone else experienced this?

Pressing the Climate control upwards to increase the temperature, does nothing on either side of the car. Remains at whatever the temperature currently is. The button 'Clicks' when lifted upwards to increase, but nothing happens. It started first on the right hand side (left hand one worked ok), but now, two weeks after the right side stopped working, the left hand one has as well! It does click and decrease the temperature when going the other way downwards (but can't then turn the temperature back up again! So at the moment, it's stuck on 20 degrees.

Given it's HIGHLY unlikely that both manual switches happen to have failed within weeks of each other .. I can only put this down to possibly yet another software 'bug' (or "feature"!)

I started a topic on this ages ago as I was having the problem in the drivers side. I eventually found that holding the switch in the direction that is not working firmly for that seemed like a long time helped and if would start working again. I agree with that I also thought it was software related given the way it was behaving but some people on here have had the switch replaced.
As a work around when it happened I figured out that you could change the temp by using the voice control ‘hey Audi’.

Reactions: Revulike
Are you supposed to leave the climate on all the time? As I’ve been leaving it off bit canon gets steamed up easy so I don’t think any air comes in when it’s off? I can’t see a way to have it on so it gets air circ without the aircon being on the energy consumer

Are you supposed to leave the climate on all the time? As I’ve been leaving it off bit canon gets steamed up easy so I don’t think any air comes in when it’s off? I can’t see a way to have it on so it gets air circ without the aircon being on the energy consumer
If you look at the image above you'll see the middle button switches Air Con off and then you'll go into normal blower mode which you can adjust speed etc

I always leave mine on at the temperature I want so it does what it's supposed to do which is climatise the car

If you look at the image above you'll see the middle button switches Air Con off and then you'll go into normal blower mode which you can adjust speed etc

I always leave mine on at the temperature I want so it does what it's supposed to do which is climatise the car
Ah course lol I missed the ac button. Also, when I set it to auto, it doesn’t show me what vents it’s coming out of, Does auto just use all the vents? And what does the a/m button do?

Ah course lol I missed the ac button. Also, when I set it to auto, it doesn’t show me what vents it’s coming out of, Does auto just use all the vents? And what does the a/m button do?
Auto does all the vents to bring the car to temperature

A/M button is for recirculation which shuts the outside vents and then only keeps cooling the air inside the cabin - Good for when the cabin is getting more comfortable it doesn't have to work as hard (saving you fuel) by dragging in hot air and then have to try and cool it down

For example when you first get into a hot car it's probably hotter inside than outside and as you drive it pulls the air through and starts to cool it down to your setting (say 20 degrees) but once the car is cooler than outside you don't want to keep dragging in 30 degrees of heat, so it closes those off and continues cooling the current inside temp to reach your target

You can also set Auto Recirc on in the MMI under Air Conditioning which means if you're behind a diesel bus for example it would auto close the vents until that moved away

You shouldn't keep the A/M button on all the time though because you do need clean air coming in at some point - I have a feeling it turns it off after a while automatically but not sure someone else might be able to confirm

The simplest way to use the climate control to its fullest extent is to select Auto = On , recirculation = A and let the Drive Select Mode manage the A/C setting of ECO/ON. Then all you have to do is set the temperature you want and the car will select the best combination of vents, air con, recirculation mode and air temperature to maintain the cabin at your chosen temp. If the windows mist up, hit the demist button for as long as necessary. If you are heading into polluted air, temporarily set Recirculation to M. (The benefit of climate control is that the car does the work of managing the ventilation controls for you.)

Reactions: vatdim and STmichael
The simplest way to use the climate control to its fullest extent is to select Auto = On , recirculation = A and let the Drive Select Mode manage the A/C setting of ECO/ON. Then all you have to do is set the temperature you want and the car will select the best combination of vents, air con, recirculation mode and air temperature to maintain the cabin at your chosen temp. If the windows mist up, hit the demist button for as long as necessary. If you are heading into polluted air, temporarily set Recirculation to M. (The benefit of climate control is that the car does the work of managing the ventilation controls for you.)
What do you mean about the drive select? Didn’t know that has anything to do with the climate lol? So there’s no way to have it all off but have air coming in? Even with air con set to off it’s still showing air con on the energy consumer

Last edited:
What do you mean about the drive select? Didn’t know that has anything to do with the climate lol? So there’s no way to have it all off but have air coming in? Even with air con set to off it’s still showing air con on the energy consumer
Yes, unless overridden, Drive Select affects aircon. When Drive Select = Economy; A/C = Eco. When Drive Select = Comfort or Dynamic; A/C = On.

I’m not sure why you would want it all off? How much difference does it make to fuel economy in a car like the A3/S3?

Yes, unless overridden, Drive Select affects aircon. When Drive Select = Economy; A/C = Eco. When Drive Select = Comfort or Dynamic; A/C = On.

I’m not sure why you would want it all off? How much difference does it make to fuel economy in a car like the A3/S3?
I just didn’t want the aircon on constantly and not sure what temp I want, I just wanted it off and the vents letting outside air in as normal

I just didn’t want the aircon on constantly and not sure what temp I want, I just wanted it off and the vents letting outside air in as normal
What you are describing is normal for a car without automatic climate controls. (Ie old style with manual controls for the mix of cold/warm air and blower speed). With climate controls, the idea is that - like your central heating at home - you just set the temperature you want: the car then automatically regulates the temp out of the vents and blower speed to achieve your set temperature and keep it there. The aircon compressor will only run as much as needed to keep humidity down and the cabin at your set temp.

Reactions: Jason1987
What you are describing is normal for a car without automatic climate controls. (Ie old style with manual controls for the mix of cold/warm air and blower speed). With climate controls, the idea is that - like your central heating at home - you just set the temperature you want: the car then automatically regulates the temp out of the vents and blower speed to achieve your set temperature and keep it there. The aircon compressor will only run as much as needed to keep humidity down and the cabin at your set temp.
I’ll have to fiddle with the temps later and leave it on one

Reactions: AdamInKent
I started a topic on this ages ago as I was having the problem in the drivers side. I eventually found that holding the switch in the direction that is not working firmly for that seemed like a long time helped and if would start working again. I agree with that I also thought it was software related given the way it was behaving but some people on here have had the switch replaced.
As a work around when it happened I figured out that you could change the temp by using the voice control ‘hey Audi’.

Thank you for that update (and apologies for my delay in responding). I've got her to try that and the displays shows 'Climate Control Not Available' (or something like that), so that doesn't work for her (although that does work in my 22 plate A3). Holding the buttons in for a short period, or being more forceful with the pull also doesn't work, so she's booked it for the workshop, but they are very busy and not got a spot until late December!

I'm having the same issue with my A3 2000 (17,000km) a couple of weeks out of warranty. was in the shop for a recall last week and came back stuck on 16degrees. The good people of Audi was €600 to replace. Audi have refused to do it as a "goodwill" gesture. Voice control got it back up to 22 once hasn't worked since. Any advice?

Hello

I had this last year, where the temperature would only go down, (used voice to increase until it was fixed. Audi had to fit a heater control switch (drivers side) they had it in stock, so could be a regular issue.

When I have air con on or on eco on a high temp, it’s using more consumption than having it on “off” on a high temp. As heat comes from the coolant for free, should I not have the aircon on at all?

When I have air con on or on eco on a high temp, it’s using more consumption than having it on “off” on a high temp. As heat comes from the coolant for free, should I not have the aircon on at all?
The aircon is removing moisture from the air in your car. So switching it on reduces the chances of your windows misting up.

I leave the aircon in ON or ECO mode all year round and let the climate system decide when to run the compressor (if you leave the energy display on, you can see the energy use of the climate system vary throughout the journey as it makes more or less use of the aircon and ventilation fans).

Reactions: Jason1987
So this is a new one. Add it to the list of things that are broken and don't work (on my wifes 8Y, 21 Plate A3 S-Line Sportback)
Anyone else experienced this?

Pressing the Climate control upwards to increase the temperature, does nothing on either side of the car. Remains at whatever the temperature currently is. The button 'Clicks' when lifted upwards to increase, but nothing happens. It started first on the right hand side (left hand one worked ok), but now, two weeks after the right side stopped working, the left hand one has as well! It does click and decrease the temperature when going the other way downwards (but can't then turn the temperature back up again! So at the moment, it's stuck on 20 degrees.

Given it's HIGHLY unlikely that both manual switches happen to have failed within weeks of each other .. I can only put this down to possibly yet another software 'bug' (or "feature"!)

View attachment 271640
Interesting, did you get it resolved? The fan button on my car (one to the right) is doing something similar. It won't let me click to increase, but if I press the max/demister the bars go all the way to full. But when I click them down manually, I can't click it back up again. Booked in for 28th Dec. Car still under warranty which I would hope this would be covered under. Hope you got yours sorted.