Be prepared to stop (before you add power)

allycooke

Reaction score
Morning all,

did my first Track Day at Bedford on Monday with Javelin. Fantastic weather given the time of the year.

I recently had the Thermostat housing and Water pump done by AMD Tuning who I got to datalog the car which confirmed it had been remapped but as yet (due to the 4WD rollers being inoperative at the time) we don't know the power figures. We suspect it's the usual unlock to standard Golf R tune.

The car performed really really well in terms of power and grip levels, the only let down was the brakes (standard pads, discs and fluids) meaning I could only do 1 full spirited lap after the out lap before I needed to come back in and let things cool down. Yep, had a soft pedal and smoking hot brakes when I attempted 2 or 3 laps.

So wondering what could be done before going full brake upgrade in terms of better discs, pads, fluid and maybe braided lines before major £££ spent changing calipers. I don't envisage doing LOTS of track days but maybe the odd one or two, so it would be good get to some stopping power to match the pulling power!

cheers for any advice. Cookie