Anyone sheared a rear hub bolt

A3AudiBen

Reaction score
Has anyone Sheared/snapped a rear Hub bolt whilst torquing it up? I have just fitted my rear hub, with the 12 point-internal star type bolt onto my bkd A3.
I got to 70nm plus 70 degrees(aiming for 90') when I heard a faint crack a bit like a wheel bolt being un cracked but more muffled.
Do you think that was the bolt breaking or a bedding in creak?
It still feels under tension but I know it may be only held by a small number of threads, with not much tensile strength. FWIW the bolt, from a well established UK parts brand, had no strength labeling on it, unlike the original, which I had been tempted to reuse, have I been silly for trusting the new bolt.
Before I order a new bolt and worry silly that I will have a massive bolt sheared off in my hub shaft, does anyone have any possitive or negative experiences for me.
I have sheared ordinary bolts whilst undoing and they go slack as they silently break but I have never snapped a big stretch bolt.

Is this the bearing bolt, cause if so then they're usually 180-200nm, plus degrees, subject to bolt head type iirc in elsawin.

I would remove it & check, cause you do t want that stuck in there as it's a world of shxt to remove.

Hi, yes, it is the rear bearing bolt, like a torx, with the Internal 12 points not like the fronts with the external 12 points.
I used an SKF bearing on the other side and with a four foot scaffold pole on my breaker I could only get to 70nm plus 90 degrees and I am a big lad. I cannot immagine getting to 180nm plus degrees.

Urm I'd have to check Elsa when my head's straight.

Reactions: A3AudiBen
I'd definitely be having a check asap
It is okay. I was a bit angle dislexic. I had tigthened to 70nm(with abit of wet thread lock) plus 170 degrees when I heard the crack. It turns out I had snapped the pin holding the knuckle on my braker bar, phew. I know that is under spec, so have blown £14 on a pair of new bolts and will try again.

Reactions: ahtcap and enc