coolant leak

Jacob79

Reaction score
I just had an incident with my 2022 Audi RS3, mileage is 22K kilometers (around 13K miles). I had a warning in the display about low coolant and to switch off the engine. Obviously I did immediately and let the car cool off. I checked the coolant and it was indeed a bit below minimum. I filled up with the appropriate coolant (G12evo) to the max line which turned out to be around 300 ml of coolant (1/3 litre). Checking underneath the car it does not seem to be leaking so am a bit worried about this. The car is still under warranty so will obviously book it in with Audi, but just wondering if this rate of using coolant is within "normal".

Thanks

I just had an incident with my 2022 Audi RS3, mileage is 22K kilometers (around 13K miles). I had a warning in the display about low coolant and to switch off the engine. Obviously I did immediately and let the car cool off. I checked the coolant and it was indeed a bit below minimum. I filled up with the appropriate coolant (G12evo) to the max line which turned out to be around 300 ml of coolant (1/3 litre). Checking underneath the car it does not seem to be leaking so am a bit worried about this. The car is still under warranty so will obviously book it in with Audi, but just wondering if this rate of using coolant is within "normal".

Thanks

I had this once on my 2018 Daza car topped it up and it never happened again.

These cars are vacuum filled at the factory and I think it’s possible the system isn’t purged fully on the odd car.

Failing that it could be the water pump leak that still seems to affect 8Y engines.

Although you’d see witness marks of coolant around the pump area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NHN
One would hope if it's his new from factory that after 22k it would have self purged way long back, so I'd be looking for any leaks in bay & footwells to make sure nothings split.

I had this once on my 2018 Daza car topped it up and it never happened again.

These cars are vacuum filled at the factory and I think it’s possible the system isn’t purged fully on the odd car.

Failing that it could be the water pump leak that still seems to affect 8Y engines.

Although you’d see witness marks of coolant around the pump area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One would hope if it's his new from factory that after 22k it would have self purged way long back, so I'd be looking for any leaks in bay & footwells to make sure nothings split.

Thanks for the insight. I have to admit I have not really been paying much attention to the coolant-level as I don't think I ever had to fill it on my previous cars, it was always near max.
I guess it is possible it dropped at some point from say max to min, and then just slowly crept below the minimum line.
I can't see it leaking underneath the car and the level is still close to max after I filled it to max 3 days ago.
I will monitor it during the coming week and see if the coolant level remains stable.
If I take the car to Audi, I will report back what they find.

Just to give an update on this issue. I booked it in with Audi, and they did a diagnosis on the issue. Their response:

"We have sent the errand to warranty – what we can confirm is a coolant leak from the water pump.

Regarding the two other faults – we have done a battery overwatch and the result shows that the battery is defect. It can have an effect if the
control devices are left without voltage.

So we will order a new battery as well as the water pump, and as soon as the parts arrive we can book a new appointment"

The two other faults mentioned was a single occurrence of a "start/stop" error in the display and a single occurrence of a "gear system error - you can continue to drive" which both went away after restarting the car and did not reoccur since.

Reactions: Daggerit