Fk fk fk fk fk.

SJon

Reaction score
I just bought a new battery for my car, the old one wasn't holding charge (Alternator worked fine, delivered 14v)

So I tried to fit the battery today, and for some reason, the battery poles are at the rear of the battery, not the front.

Stupid me, I fitted the battery with the poles facing forwards and without thinking, fitted the negative to the positive and vice versa. A fan came on and the poles started getting very hot, so I pulled them off after a few seconds (<15s)

Have I just turned my car into scrap? What kind of damage am I looking at?

Only one way to find out, fit battery correctly & turn car in, check for any systems not running.

Reactions: northpole
Yeah, unfortunately that requires an extension, the leads aren't long enough to fit as it is, and without a car, I can't go to the shop and get one. So gonna have to wait for my wife to get home so I can get to the shop.

Can't you buy a battery with poles correctly positioned.

Can't you buy a battery with poles correctly positioned.
I've already got this one. I didn't know they were reversed (Otherwise I would have bought a different one.) I bought this online, returning it will cost more than getting an extension.

Ok, so I managed to jerry rig an extension so that I can test the car. I've got OBD11 so I ran a diagnostic, there's a couple of sensor faults which I think might be related to battery low voltage or something, and the car key has become deprogrammed, otherwise, I think I got away without too much damage. The car starts, which is a bonus.

Anyone know how to programme a car key through OBD11?

Ok, found a YouTube video showing how to do it. So It's all good.

Think I got off lightly there.

now go and get the right battery for your car... I'd go online and click and collect that way when the otherhalf comes home you can ump in her car and pick it straight up... that is if they have it in stock... so always call them before buying online ;)