Lost Instrument Cluster

thomp1983

Reaction score
Hi all,

I sent my instrument cluster off for repair and the courier company have lost it so I'm now looking into options for replacing it and getting the car going again.

I can buy a second hand cluster, ecu and key set and fit them but this will leave me with incorrect mileage (car has done 69k so really want the original mileage restored.)

Buy a new cluster and have it programmed but this will involve getting the car transported to a dealer and then seeing if they'll accept changing the mileage or insist it is left at zero.

Have the immo coded out of my ecu, fit a second hand cluster and live with the mileage being wrong and the immo light being on all the time.

Can anyone think of any other options?

Thanks
Chris

Hi was it a red or white cluster? I’ve been able to build them in the past from the engine ecu data but your other option would be to get the ecu, dash and keys etc and have the mileage corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: thomp1983
Hi all,

I sent my instrument cluster off for repair and the courier company have lost it so I'm now looking into options for replacing it and getting the car going again.

I can buy a second hand cluster, ecu and key set and fit them but this will leave me with incorrect mileage (car has done 69k so really want the original mileage restored.)

Buy a new cluster and have it programmed but this will involve getting the car transported to a dealer and then seeing if they'll accept changing the mileage or insist it is left at zero.

Have the immo coded out of my ecu, fit a second hand cluster and live with the mileage being wrong and the immo light being on all the time.

Can anyone think of any other options?

Thanks
Chris

Claim through the courier company,

Once a replacement cluster have been programmed the mileage will be correct as it’s stored in the cars system

Also a dealer will be able to read the mileage out of the engine ecu like we can with vcds

It's a red cluster from a 2005 model.

The courier companies compensation will only cover a second hand unit and no consequential losses so isn't much use to me.

A local scrap yard has a ecu/cluster/key set for £60 which isn't too bad, can I program any model differences with vcds?.

Can anyone recommend a company for adjusting the mileage?

Thanks
Chris

It's a red cluster from a 2005 model.

The courier companies compensation will only cover a second hand unit and no consequential losses so isn't much use to me.

A local scrap yard has a ecu/cluster/key set for £60 which isn't too bad, can I program any model differences with vcds?.

Can anyone recommend a company for adjusting the mileage?

Thanks
Chris

I’m no expert but I think, if you had had it plugged in with vcds and wrote down the cluster ’soft code’ you could have just replaced the cluster and copied the code to it. Then everything would be as it was.
Since you haven’t then it’s more complicated

Screenshot 20231127 201021 comgoogleandroidappsdocseditorsdocs

I've got the above from a full vcds scan I did that I sent to the repair company ready of them to repair the cluster

View attachment 272395

I've got the above from a full vcds scan I did that I sent to the repair company ready of them to repair the cluster

I believe a replacement cluster can be coded in with those values, like I say I’m no expert on this and hopefully someone else on here can confirm this. Obviously you can get access to vcds so could ask them too, but sure it’s now easy to do.

Ok so the ecu kit I've been offered the ecu numbers are the same bar the last 2 letters, my original ecu is 03G906016FF and the kit ecu is 03G906016BA

Both ecus show as being for a bkd engine I just don't know the relevance of the last 2 letters?

I'm assuming apart from the mileage if I fitted the kit I would need to alter the soft coding and vin in both the ecu and instrument cluster, can both these things be done with vcds?

Thanks
Chris

Ok so the ecu kit I've been offered the ecu numbers are the same bar the last 2 letters, my original ecu is 03G906016FF and the kit ecu is 03G906016BA

Both ecus show as being for a bkd engine I just don't know the relevance of the last 2 letters?

I'm assuming apart from the mileage if I fitted the kit I would need to alter the soft coding and vin in both the ecu and instrument cluster, can both these things be done with vcds?

Thanks
Chris

I don’t understand why you’re changing the ecu when you only need a cluster coding in.
Just alter the details from your old one to the new.
Here are pictures of mine

I was under the impression the immobiliser code is in both the ecu and instrument cluster and if they don't match the immobiliser light will stay permenantly lit

I was under the impression the immobiliser code is in both the ecu and instrument cluster and if they don't match the immobiliser light will stay permenantly lit

That I don’t know unfortunately, sorry

I'm reasonably certain it's right, it was a company that disables the immo on the ecu that told me and recommended I find a matching set

Reactions: Abi