Insurance renewal; what would you do?

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I'm due to renew, and for the first time ever, I'm having to declare a claim. I was at fault in a minor coming together between my front near side and the rear off side of another car (2019 A3 as it happens). Total repair cost around £10K, and as you'd expect, it's hurting my renewal rate.

Obviously, my first port of call was the three broker firms that sponsor ASN. AIB, who are my current broker, the best they can do is £1,447; AF's best figure is £1,527 and Chris Knott were over £2K.

But I've also tried the comparison websites, as you do, and Admiral Platinum are quoting £874. I know the name tends to prompt derision , albeit a look at their review on TrustPilot suggests they're not actually that bad, but that is a massive saving.

Hemnce my question, what would you do?

Compared to at least one of the sponsors on here Admiral are far more trustworthy.

As long as everything is declared and they are cheaper then I would go with it in the current market.

Reactions: jdp1962
Even if you didn’t have the claim to declare, your renewal would be higher. I think most people have seen a 30/40% increase. So while your claim won’t help, it won’t be totally to blame.

I’d go with Admiral and be done with it. They’re all as bad as each other anyway. If you’re basing your decision on Trustpilot ratings, Admiral are actually doing better than AF.

A bit of help deciding to go with Admiral or not....

My wife was with Admiral when a third party hit and run writing off her parked car (Bank Holiday Sunday evening, wonder if he was drunk?). Details passed to them on the Monday along with Police incident number and grainy cctv footage and within a fortnight we had the money in the bank from a very fair market evaluation. Was also put on system as a no-fault claim even without his details which didn't affect her renewal with another company with the claim declared.

Long story short, they were very good when dealing with this.