Service Book EDIT

HAF1925

Reaction score
I have an A6 on a 22 plate it had its first service at Audi but I dont want to take it there again and with 25k mileage its flashing up inspection due. My reason for posting is that I cannot find the service book, Im usually scrupolous with paperwork and even more so with a £50k car and makes me wonder if I was ever issued one. Do other A6 owners have a service book and what service is due at 25K?

EDIT - spoke to main dealer, no books are issued just an online thing which I guess improves authenticity but also steers you to using Audi for services as only Audi can log into this.

Anyway, this "inspection due" was quoted at £247.96 to me for some "safety checks", (a look under bonnet and seat belt checks, stuff like that) Hmmm, I declined I dont want that and happy to wait until the oil change by mu local friendly trusted (and miles cheaper) mechanic. HOWEVER, how can I turn off the dash board message? Does it need a VAGCOM thing?

Last edited:
Non-dealers do have a means of updating the digital service record, but not quite sure how they do it.

Be aware that the first 2 years of warranty on your car are covered by Audi themselves - a legal requirement for all manufacturers selling in the UK (carry over from EU legislation), and whilst you can have it serviced anywhere it does require that the car is serviced using original Audi parts and you need the invoice from the person servicing the car to explicitly detail the parts they used in case you need to make a warranty claim. The third year of warranty (and I think Audi Assist) is provided by the Audi dealer network and it is very possible that this would be dependent on the use of Audi dealers for servicing and they could try to get out of a warranty claim. Also these cars are subject to regular software updates and not having it serviced by the dealer will mean you are likely to miss out on those as well

Non-dealers do have a means of updating the digital service record, but not quite sure how they do it.

Be aware that the first 2 years of warranty on your car are covered by Audi themselves - a legal requirement for all manufacturers selling in the UK (carry over from EU legislation), and whilst you can have it serviced anywhere it does require that the car is serviced using original Audi parts and you need the invoice from the person servicing the car to explicitly detail the parts they used in case you need to make a warranty claim. The third year of warranty (and I think Audi Assist) is provided by the Audi dealer network and it is very possible that this would be dependent on the use of Audi dealers for servicing and they could try to get out of a warranty claim. Also these cars are subject to regular software updates and not having it serviced by the dealer will mean you are likely to miss out on those as well
Hi, OK thank you. I will ask beforehand to my mechanic, if not I will just have to keep a paper trail for when its sold. Just to take up the point around the warranty - So, if I used a non Audi approved oil filter in a service lets say and the boot opening mechanism failed lets say would the whole warranty become void? I could understand that if there was additional wear to the engine because of inferior oil filter then maybe so. How serious do Audi take using non Audi parts and servicing? Also, do software updates happen online, my car says regularly about map updates.

Hi, OK thank you. I will ask beforehand to my mechanic, if not I will just have to keep a paper trail for when its sold. Just to take up the point around the warranty - So, if I used a non Audi approved oil filter in a service lets say and the boot opening mechanism failed lets say would the whole warranty become void? I could understand that if there was additional wear to the engine because of inferior oil filter then maybe so. How serious do Audi take using non Audi parts and servicing? Also, do software updates happen online, my car says regularly about map updates.
Can't say how serious Audi will take it but having had to have the instrument cluster replaced on my A6 (which would have cost in excess of £1500) and an MMI control unit replaced on my wife's Golf 8 (at a cost of £4000), both covered under warranties, it is not something I am prepared to risk. Warranty is basically insurance and a provider will do whatever they can to avoid paying out. Also it is something that could affect the trade in value at an Audi dealer when you come to sell, also if the car is under an Audi finance agreement may be worth checking that and what it says about servicing outside of the dealer network since technically you do not own the car outright.

Regarding software updates, as far as I am aware the only updates the A6 can receive over the air is the navigation data. All other software updates are done by the dealer, so you would not get them by not visiting the dealer. On my A6, they did a sw update and it caused a load of problems with the MMI system, which took the best part of 12 months until they found a software version that addressed the issues (navigation not remembering previous destinations or favourites being the main one). My wife's golf does receive OTA software updates but these seem to only relate to the MMI system and not to other core features of the car, so again any issues with things like the Starter/Alternator issue that has plagued 48v vehicles and is partly sw related would not be dealt with.

Another thought. Audi are currently offering 25% of their service plans (must be bought before 10th December) which includes the next 2 services (1 inspection and 1 oil change). Looking on the Audi UK website this works out at £476 or c£20 per month, which is pretty much what they would charge for an Oil Service, so that may be an option for you

Non-dealers which are VAT payers and "verified" by Audi I think can use erWin - The electronic repair and workshop information - to update Your digital service schedule. Anyone can access it, I use it sometimes for DIY jobs (it's pay for access), but only "verified" shops can update the digital service book.

I don't suggest skipping the inspection - it's a lot more than seat belt checks - its 2-3 pages of items to be inspected, checked, lubricated etc. Your mechanic can easily do these checks, everything he needs to do for this inspection is in erWin or he can just "google it".

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk