Question on Tyres

norad97

Reaction score
Hi, I am a fan of Goodyear tyres on my Quattro and are coming to the end of life.
The price of tyres now are very expensive and been searching for a deal but still alot of cash.
As I dont travel to work anymore so car not doing many miles a year I was thinking of decent part worn tyres,
talking to my local part worn tyre man, they cannot supply me with Goodyear, but they can supply Mitchelin with good tred.

So has anyone or is running Mitchelin tyres on there car.

Michellin tires aren't known for tramlining etc... but part worn tires can show problems if the previous car they were on had alignment or toe issues... just so you know. This in no way says anything about the brand but everything about the previous car they were on, but good part worn tires should be checked and have even ware....

Reactions: Charlie Farley
…and if they check out okay then you shouldn’t have any problems. Ive used many part worn tyres before with no problems

Reactions: northpole and Charlie Farley
Would it not be better to get brand new more budget friendly tires what you know the history of as they are new. Would have no garentees of part worn tyres and they may have had repairs in the past. For myself a part worn in to get me out of trouble til payday if I can't not use the car till then

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Reactions: northpole
Most people have zero issue buying a second hand set of alloy wheels and don't replace the tyres before fitting them to their own car.

There's little to no difference in doing the same but just keeping your own wheels.

Personally in that situation I'd prefer secondhand Michelins than brand new crap.

I say that as someone with Micheline PS4's on his Avant. And having not long ago fitted a pair of new cheap crap tyres to the rear of a Quattro I was selling and twice had the rear end step out on me because of how bad the grip was on them. Absolute trash. And that was a Quattro!

I fitted a set of Uniroyal Rainsports on my B7 RS4 Avant many years ago and as good as they are (various sets on different vehicles with great results) they were struggling with cornering and the power, could easily feel them start to "give" when cornering at three figure speeds on sweeping bends, up here we have plenty opportunity for pushing your motor hard, there's no substitute for a quality performance tyre.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

I have used nearly new used tires a lot over the years and you get what you pay for in many instances.
The problem with good used tires is getting ones that are not worn unevenly, even a small amount of uneven wear across the tire can have negative effects, you then end up with issues an ultimately end up buying new and wasting money in the long run.
Just one of those things, you are effectively buying another car's alignment and issues if they had any, that said there are good ones out there too.
On a side note, on a lot of the b7 a4's they have Servotronic PAS which can be very sensitive to road surfaces at certain speeds so any issues with tyres will become very apparent and an issue.

For me i'll be sticking with new F1's , but if I was in Richards shoes with low usage a factor then good used, branded performance tires would be a good plan.

Reactions: norad97 and northpole
there are some budget tires though that are just about decent look at tire comparisons and you'll find there are a few that punch above their weight, and are fine for a daily driver, if you leave the performance part out of it... so if you just do a lot of city/town driving than those will be a better option than used premium tires. just remember after some ware the premium tires perform the same as new good budget tires. last comparison I watched the braking distance between the best budget tire and the cheapest premium tire was a good 30 meter difference (60mph to a full stop) remember these where brand new tires. A worn budget tire once ware sets in are worse than premium tires with the same amount of ware... so yeah the choice is yours.... the only part that is good is that a full set of budget tires might cost less than half the price of a full set of premium tires, so replacing them early for new is still cheaper.