Rear wiper - random

Gmac

Reaction score
Morning folks….

My rear wiper has started playing silly buggers…. When i press the stalk forward to activate it it’ll run about 2,3 or 4 times, random amount, and then stop, then sometimes it‘ll go on its own, and yeh just seems completely random. It does sweep completely and stops where it should though! Clearly something is wrong. I’ve had a bit of a search, and it appears water ingress in to motor seems common. Is this likely to be the case, and it isn’t a relay or the stalk?

Thanks!

Reactions: spartacus68
yes water is normally the culprit, it tends to leak from the washer pipe that passes through the motor.
Had it on my old bus at 32k miles, new motor assembly under warranty luckily, but yet another B7 annoyance.

Reactions: northpole
also check your spare wheel location for wet patches, normally when the assembly starts to leak is collects in the tailgate and then drips down into the spare wheel well.

Reactions: northpole
Thanks Rob, will take a look for water in there, and will get another wiper motor ordered up from eBay. Circa £34

Reactions: Charlie Farley
No water in spare wheel well. Another question… what would be triggering it to go itself? Just driven in to work and it started out of the blue, went about 5 or 6 times then stopped… there must be something triggering it… would that be just water in the motor?

Very possibly water Ingress shorting out the electrics.

if you haven't ordered one already, I'd stump up a bit more for a proper Valeo motor. It'll pay off in the long run, trust me :)
They're around £80 iirc

Reactions: B7Tourer, spartacus68 and Charlie Farley
5f574a3d3847aa0bdd9694e8c5087922.jpg

That’s what greeted me when I opened mine up ,used to behave very erratically,this was out of curiosity,I’d already fitted new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Wow
Reactions: spartacus68 and Charlie Farley
5f574a3d3847aa0bdd9694e8c5087922.jpg

That’s what greeted me when I opened mine up ,used to behave very erratically,this was out of curiosity,I’d already fitted new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks about right.

After the second motor failed I gave up and removed the rear wiper completely. This was a few year back now, I don’t miss it at all.

Hmmm going to have to pull the fuse, was driving around last night and the thing was going permanently! That’s without ever touching the stalk! Felt like a right ****! Hahah

Will have to see what fuse it is. I did read number 36 or something like that, but that was also for the front wipers, which will be needed!

The brass or copper pipe that runs through the motor breaks, water ingress and it either seizes or shorts out the electrics. I'm sure using the rear wiper (spray) during cold-weather doesn't help.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Gmac
Got a new motor on its way! Thanks fully when i used the car today it decided to be kind and didn’t move! Lol

Fitted new motor today and all problems gone. Woohoo. Opened old one up afterwards to have a look.. yuk…

IMG 2471
IMG 2472