Bonnet catch stuck closed. Cannot lift bonnet up.

subaru swift

Reaction score
Hi folks, the bonnet handle in the car as become loose, now the bonnet is stuck down and locked. It feels like and sounds like the cable as snapped or come off the catch in the bonnet area.

I've taken it a place, and theyve removed the undertray and the front audi grill but no luck.
They say being the a4 2.5l v6 quattro there is little to no room to get any tools up from the ramp to the catch like in some help videos, and no where on the catch itself on the bonnet to flick open.

Hence any ideas folks please??
I'm in Stoke on trent, Staffordshire.

What do I do asap??

Regards

Kenny

Hi folks, the bonnet handle in the car as become loose, now the bonnet is stuck down and locked. It feels like and sounds like the cable as snapped or come off the catch in the bonnet area.

I've taken it a place, and theyve removed the undertray and the front audi grill but no luck.
They say being the a4 2.5l v6 quattro there is little to no room to get any tools up from the ramp to the catch like in some help videos, and no where on the catch itself on the bonnet to flick open.

Hence any ideas folks please??
I'm in Stoke on trent, Staffordshire.

What do I do asap??

Regards

Kenny
Kenny,

I hope you found a solution.
A top tip with sticky bonnet catches is to have someone repeatedly 'pump' down on the bonnet evenly (with both hands) above the catch at the same time as you gently but firmly pull the release handle.
If you sync your efforts the bonnet will release.

Then carefully remove your dashboard binnacle by carefully pulling it out, remove the fuse holder cover in the end of the dashboard (with the driver door open - there's a small slot at the bottom just big enough for you ignition key to help lever it off) and then start on the 3 bolts (10mm) used to hold in the plastic shroud from below and around the steering column.

With this removed you can access the boot release handle. One T25 (I think) torx bolt holds the handle to the side of the inner wing.

The boot release cable has a bobble on the end which sits in a cup within the moulded plastic handle. It lifts out without much fuss.

Buy a new handle from eBay. Plenty out there - new or used. Seat Cupra/Golf etc use the same. Just match the part number printed on your boot release handle.

Refit and clean/lube your bonnet catch.