Advice

paroni_

Reaction score
Okay i have an interesting case here. I have S3 8L which motor has been swapped from AMK to AGU because AMK blew up. I'm pretty sure its runnin on S3 ECU, also have S3 intercoolers and maybe a fuel pump. The question is how I can make more power so that the AGU is on par with the stock AMK engine, turbo swap ofc and injectors.

Guess a map would be the path as I assume the amk was the 210 & agu is the 225, based on you stating you have an S3.

I had an apy 210 & revo to 265 iirc, was an amazing map tbh, little volatile but still loved that car for 7-8 years.

Guess a map would be the path as I assume the amk was the 210 & agu is the 225, based on you stating you have an S3.

I had an apy 210 & revo to 265 iirc, was an amazing map tbh, little volatile but still loved that car for 7-8 years.
You mean hp with those? If so agu is 150

Ahhh, that's another story, your have to confirm if internals are different, given it's a 150 I'd say it probably is in numerous ways, badger bill is the person tuner to ask if this is possible.

What AGU parts are being used? Surely you're still using the stock AMK ECU, and they've transferred over the VVT and cam shaft sensor.. and inlet manifold, exhaust manifold and K04 turbo? And just replaced the block and head?

In which case the only physical differences are missing 1mm shims under the exhaust valve springs, and 19mm pins (instead of 20mm) on the connecting rods..

Reactions: NHN
What AGU parts are being used? Surely you're still using the stock AMK ECU, and they've transferred over the VVT and cam shaft sensor.. and inlet manifold, exhaust manifold and K04 turbo? And just replaced the block and head?

In which case the only physical differences are missing 1mm shims under the exhaust valve springs, and 19mm pins (instead of 20mm) on the connecting rods..
It's a whole stock AGU engine, no VVT or sensor

Is it using a cable throttle or DBW? If it's using cable then it's probably using the M3.8.x ECU, which is a pretty simple and "dumb" ECU, doesn't even use a wideband sensor.
The bad news is that less and less people want to touch that ECU as it usually requires physically soldering a new chip onto it (although you can flash some 3.8.x by feeding power to the correct pin in the OBD port, but not all of them). I live in Poland and couldn't find a single tuner within 150km radius that would want to tune it.
If you want to tune it yourself you can look for a P&P "standalone" ECU, I'm using one right now from RM racing electronics and while it's not a perfect ECU and lacks some features, it's certainly possible to tune it well enough so that it's enjoyable to drive (takes some time if you're new to tuning though)

That being said, AGU is a pretty durable 1.8T, it has the forged crank and some solid pistons, however just like other 1.8T - the rods are the weak point, so you have to be pretty conservative with the torque. I had it in my Octavia and I have it right now in my A3. Stock engine w/ a k03s and a downpipe makes ~210-220hp (didn't dyno it yet, but feels similar if not a bit faster than my previous 1.8T in an Octavia that dyno'd 210hp / 380nm, I lowered the peak torque a bit after the dyno)
Stock AGU with the right tune can probably get close to 200, but the k03 is what's limiting its performance, especially on a stock TIP and DP.

Is it using a cable throttle or DBW? If it's using cable then it's probably using the M3.8.x ECU, which is a pretty simple and "dumb" ECU, doesn't even use a wideband sensor.
The bad news is that less and less people want to touch that ECU as it usually requires physically soldering a new chip onto it (although you can flash some 3.8.x by feeding power to the correct pin in the OBD port, but not all of them). I live in Poland and couldn't find a single tuner within 150km radius that would want to tune it.
If you want to tune it yourself you can look for a P&P "standalone" ECU, I'm using one right now from RM racing electronics and while it's not a perfect ECU and lacks some features, it's certainly possible to tune it well enough so that it's enjoyable to drive (takes some time if you're new to tuning though)

That being said, AGU is a pretty durable 1.8T, it has the forged crank and some solid pistons, however just like other 1.8T - the rods are the weak point, so you have to be pretty conservative with the torque. I had it in my Octavia and I have it right now in my A3. Stock engine w/ a k03s and a downpipe makes ~210-220hp (didn't dyno it yet, but feels similar if not a bit faster than my previous 1.8T in an Octavia that dyno'd 210hp / 380nm, I lowered the peak torque a bit after the dyno)
Stock AGU with the right tune can probably get close to 200, but the k03 is what's limiting its performance, especially on a stock TIP and DP.
I'm pretty sure it's runnin S3 ECU so it's not M3.8?

If it has an S3 ECU then it'll be running the ME7.5, but that ecu will be using a DBW throttle. If it has cable throttle, then it'll be running one of the older M3.8 ecus, I don't think either one can run the other type of throttle (correct me if I'm wrong though).

If it has an S3 ECU then it'll be running the ME7.5, but that ecu will be using a DBW throttle. If it has cable throttle, then it'll be running one of the older M3.8 ecus, I don't think either one can run the other type of throttle (correct me if I'm wrong though).
Haven't really checked which throttle it is runnin but AGU doesn't have VVT and I have constant check engine light because it is missing. That's why I think it has S3 ECU because it thinks that something is wrong with the engine

Mechanically there is not much difference between tranverse 1.8t engines... swapping the AMK engine to an AGU in principle would not effect power assuming you are using the S3's K04 turbo etc...

The main differences between AMK/AGU is AGU has a large port head and no VVT... you would need to fit VVT ideally to bring things back to spec but also note that VVT/non VVT inlet cams are slightly different with the VVT cam having a slight offset on the centre lobes...

Just because the AGU is essentially in a 150hp spec car doesn't mean its 150hp now as the extra power in the S3 is from the larger turbo so swapping an engine like this won't drop your power as such

VVT on the AMK/BAM engines is actually used partially for emissions (replaces the need for Secondary air pump) and from memory on the K04 turbo'd engines its also held on for a bit to help spool...

<tuffty/>