Porsche 991.1 to 8Y RS3?

Mysil90

Reaction score
Hi!

Anyone coming from Porsche 911 to the RS3, and want to share their experience?
I currently own a 991.1 4S, but am looking to order a new RS3 in Exclusive color. I know most people go in the opposite direction, som I'm curious to see if anyone has switched from Porsche to Audi.
The RS3 wil be around €20.000 more expensive than my current car, new cars are very expensive here i Norway (€96.000 for a new RS3).

I went from a 992C4S to a Macan Turbo, to a Panamera eHybrid, to a Boxster 4.0GTS and finally into my 8Y RS3!
This is the 3rd RS3 I’ve had (8V, then 8V facelift) and it’s the best all round car for me at this point in time.

I LOVED my 992 C4S - an absolutely amazing car… probably the best car I’ve ever owned. However, not great for transporting 3 additional adults and 3 dogs :sweatsmile:
If you need something more practical, smaller, newer tech, reasonably economical, pretty quick, and reasonably well built then the RS3 is a great option

I went from a 992C4S to a Macan Turbo, to a Panamera eHybrid, to a Boxster 4.0GTS and finally into my 8Y RS3!
This is the 3rd RS3 I’ve had (8V, then 8V facelift) and it’s the best all round car for me at this point in time.

I LOVED my 992 C4S - an absolutely amazing car… probably the best car I’ve ever owned. However, not great for transporting 3 additional adults and 3 dogs :sweatsmile:
If you need something more practical, smaller, newer tech, reasonably economical, pretty quick, and reasonably well built then the RS3 is a great option
Thanks for your reply!

I'm worried the RS3 won't feel special, the way a 911 feels special. Every drive is an experience. The 991.1 is also a very engaging drive, even at low speeds. I've owned cars before, that needs to be driven hard, before you can feel that they are not normal cars.

Thanks for your reply!

I'm worried the RS3 won't feel special, the way a 911 feels special. Every drive is an experience. The 991.1 is also a very engaging drive, even at low speeds. I've owned cars before, that needs to be driven hard, before you can feel that they are not normal cars.

In my view. A RS3 is a downgrade from a 911
You will feel it as something unspecial for sure

It is a great car, quick, with many good things. But it is a hatchback and a A3 at the core

Can I ask what is your rationale?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply!

No problem!

I think you need to test drive the RS3 if you haven’t already.
I love my RS3 but it does not drive like a 911. It’s a rapid little hatchback (in my case) which ticks all the boxes for practicality / grip / tech / safety / … but it is not as connected to the road as a 911. I agree, the 911 always felt like an occasion but to be fair it rarely even broke sweat coping with daily driving in the UK.
If I won the lottery I’d probably buy another 911… although to be honest I actually preferred the fun-factor of the Boxster GTS.

In my view. A RS3 is a downgrade from a 911
You will feel it as something unspecial for sure

It is a great car, quick, with many good things. But it is a hatchback and a A3 at the core

Can I ask what is your rationale?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Of course.

I don't expect it to be at the same level of specialness as a 911.

I have many reasons for wanting to swap.
- Petrol cars will be banned in Norway from 2025, so this is the last chance to buy something new
- I've wanted a Merlin Purple car for years
- Road noise in the 911 is painful on long drives
- The 911 is 10 years old, and you can feel it in the suspension (bad roads)
- I want something with newer technology
- I can always buy another 911, there's loads of them, currently 260 cars for sale in Norway

No problem!

I think you need to test drive the RS3 if you haven’t already.
I love my RS3 but it does not drive like a 911. It’s a rapid little hatchback (in my case) which ticks all the boxes for practicality / grip / tech / safety / … but it is not as connected to the road as a 911. I agree, the 911 always felt like an occasion but to be fair it rarely even broke sweat coping with daily driving in the UK.
If I won the lottery I’d probably buy another 911… although to be honest I actually preferred the fun-factor of the Boxster GTS.
Thanks for your insight. I have driven one 2 years ago, but I have driven (and owned) many different cars since then. I have booked a test drive in January. Was really impressed by the car last time, so hopefully it will be just as good this time.

I realize the RS3 is a downgrade in specialness and entertainment, but I hope it is a better compromise than the 991.

Reactions: drgav2005
Thanks for your insight. I have driven one 2 years ago, but I have driven (and owned) many different cars since then. I have booked a test drive in January. Was really impressed by the car last time, so hopefully it will be just as good this time.

I realize the RS3 is a downgrade in specialness and entertainment, but I hope it is a better compromise than the 991.
I’ve had 3 911s and now on my 3rd RS3. They are great little cars - I especially love the Sportback since it is so practical. The 8Y handles really well and is more engaging than the previous 8V. Surprisingly good in comfort mode if you want to take it easy and smoothly across rough tarmac… like most of the roads in the UK!
The Merlin purple is a great colour choice!

Had my test drive this Monday. It was freezing (-20c), so got to test the car in slippery conditions.
I had a blast! It's comfortable when you want, and hysterical when you want. Exactly what I'm looking for. Therefore I ended up ordering, with delivery estimated August/September.

• Love
Reactions: IanL-RS3, Terminator x, kayemill and 4 others
Had my test drive this Monday. It was freezing (-20c), so got to test the car in slippery conditions.
I had a blast! It's comfortable when you want, and hysterical when you want. Exactly what I'm looking for. Therefore I ended up ordering, with delivery estimated August/September.
Can't believe these cars are still on a 7 to 8 month wait

Reactions: Mike.46 and 8YARWY

Nice one!

I went Exclusive too. I recently test drove a G80 M3 and I realised I hadn't given the RS3 the respect it deserves. The RS3 is better then the M3 in a few ways but the M3 is 50% more expensive.

I recently test drove a G80 M3
What put you off? I compared the F80 M3 to the 8V and wasn't convinced for what I need. Don't think the G80 moves things along. D3 Alpina would be different but not at that price.

What put you off? I compared the F80 M3 to the 8V and wasn't convinced for what I need. Don't think the G80 moves things along. D3 Alpina would be different but not at that price.
For context, I've had 10 M cars. Last was a lovely F82comp which I kept for 4 years. (F87M2 before, F80M3 before that etc etc..)

I put off driving a G8x because they're so f'ugly but I was quite interested in a Touring.

The brakes are unpredictable and steering feel is dodgy. It may have been the car because the one I drove didn't want to self-centre the steering when pulling out of a junction.

The amazing thing about it, considering how much it weighs, it the chassis' ability to change direction and stay flat. Very Porsche-like. But the steering feel itself - unpredictable and unnerving in some cases.

But, the RS3's brakes are far superior and the steering is more direct and natural in the RS3.

I didn't even feel that fast. I have, before I collected mine, watched YouTube videos comparing them and wondered why the RS3 was even in the picture. Well, now I know!

I am test driving a Touring in a few weeks... I can't see it helping any man-maths though.

Reactions: flybynite
I am test driving a Touring in a few weeks... I can't see it helping any man-maths though.
Yeah I have had a few BMWs over the years including a few Ms. I was very tempted when I drove an Alpina D3 touring year or so ago but it would have been a stretch and I'd have had to lose the RS3. I think the steering and brakes are improved over the M version, less fidgety.

What stopped me was partly the extra cash to change it but more the fact that if I didn't like it I would never find an 8V daza like the one I have again. Nothing much else on the horizon for me.

Yeah I have had a few BMWs over the years including a few Ms. I was very tempted when I drove an Alpina D3 touring year or so ago but it would have been a stretch and I'd have had to lose the RS3. I think the steering and brakes are improved over the M version, less fidgety.

What stopped me was partly the extra cash to change it but more the fact that if I didn't like it I would never find an 8V daza like the one I have again. Nothing much else on the horizon for me.

The current B3 looks interesting. No pig-nose and same engine tuned for more Torque...

The current B3 looks interesting. No pig-nose and same engine tuned for more Torque...
Yeah I meant B3 not D3 as finger trouble typo above. The B3 I drove was the earlier version without the wraparound dash but basically the same as the current car. Same S58 engine and most importantly for me suspension tuned more for the crappy UK roads. Still very tempted.

Reactions: rngDeadeye
Yeah I meant B3 not D3 as finger trouble typo above. The B3 I drove was the earlier version without the wraparound dash but basically the same as the current car. Same S58 engine and most importantly for me suspension tuned more for the crappy UK roads. Still very tempted.

Interesting...

Only other problem is the B3 will come with some crap alloys one way or another!

• Haha
Only other problem is the B3 will come with some crap alloys one way or another!
Have to agree, not been a fan of most Alpina alloys since the ones fitted to mine in the 80s

But I've never let that put me off buying a car, I either put them in a box for when I sell the car and run something better, or I use them as winter wheels and keep a good set for the summer. Sometimes they grow on me, like the 8V blades did and I just run with them, maybe in a different colour. :icon thumright: