B&O Sound System .. DAB+?

Rupert49

Reaction score
My S3 Saloon was built in 2014 and I took delivery in November that year. During the configurator stage, I specified the Bang & Olufsen sound system for an extra £750.

Whilst I have enjoyed excellent listening all this time, the imminent switch over of many radio stations from DAB to DAB+ has got me wondering how I can establish whether the radio part of the B&O sound system in my car is DAB+ compatible.

My Audi dealership hasn't been able to help so far. Audi UK hasn't replied to my email. B&O have come back to me with this:

Kindly note that in order to acquire further technical assistance regarding the B&O sound system in vehicles, you will need to get in touch with your dealership or car manufacturer regarding the question as we do not officially support this anymore.

In May 2015, Harman International (which later became a subsidiary of Samsung), announced the completion of its acquisition of Bang & Olufsen Automotive car audio business. In March 2017, Tymphany, an audio ODM based in Hong Kong and with manufacturing operations in Dongchen, announced the acquisition of the engineering and manufacturing operation in the Czech Republic from Bang & Olufsen.

I suppose all I can do is to wait until Classic FM makes their much heralded switchover in January and see if I can still receive it!

Just before midnight on Monday, Classic FM DAB was playing as usual on my 2009 Roberts radio. At one minute past midnight the station went off the air. I had no option but to switch to the FM waveband to continue listening but, as this is only for quiet bedside listening while I read my book, sound quality is not really an issue.

First thing this morning (Tuesday) I started the car (2014 Audi S3 Saloon) and to my amazement and delight Classic FM blared out loud and clear as usual. It would seem that my Bose Sound System is DAB+ compatible, which is what several kind forum members have indicated should be the case!

To be honest I can’t really detect any difference in audio quality, not like the visual quality between SD and HD TV, but then we’re talking an in-car system, with all the ambient noises that entails. The main thing is, I now know for sure that when all the other stations finally switch over, I shall still be able to receive them.

Happy 2024 to Everybody!

Reactions: DJAlix
If it's of interest or significance to anyone, the software version of the MMI MIB system in my car (2014) is: MSTD_EU_AU_P3151

I can confirm that it is DAB+ compatible.