Creaking from front end

ian.f

Reaction score
Hi Forum,
Looking for some advice please.
I’ve got a very loud creaking sound coming from the front end. It doesn’t happen when running until I apply the brakes and/or turn a sharp-ish corner.
It’s been through three different garages and had all components checked and nothing found as faulty.
I’ve captured a video of the noise and wondered if anyone has had a similar issue?
Any help greatly appreciated!!

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/KITjRUb7PEg?si=hPkUNiIj6W_pdbfE

What's the mileage? You can hear a little noise before you turn. It's not a knocking sound, more like something isn't sitting tight. I'm tempted to say top-mounts. On my wife's BMW i3 - the bearing race actually sheared with aluminium oxide corrosion. It had a similar noise. Road spray eventually gets into the bearing and dries it out or corrosion sets in. Anyway - just a guess. If you've been to three garages they mist have checked all the usual suspects including ball-joints on the multi-link suspension. Pay special attention to the coil spring - as any friction on the top mount will show in the spring, but possibly only under load.

To check you'd want the front raised both sides, then go hard lock to hard lock and see if that reveals any sound, with road wheels off and someone's ear at each axle. It's doing it under load - so that might not reveal anything. You could try a magazine under each tyre (reduces friction) with the vehicle lowered and see if that throws up anything and turn the steering wheel. You could also try some silicone spray on ARB joints to see if that isolates the fault.

What's the mileage? You can hear a little noise before you turn. It's not a knocking sound, more like something isn't sitting tight. I'm tempted to say top-mounts. On my wife's BMW i3 - the bearing race actually sheared with aluminium oxide corrosion. It had a similar noise. Road spray eventually gets into the bearing and dries it out or corrosion sets in. Anyway - just a guess. If you've been to three garages they mist have checked all the usual suspects including ball-joints on the multi-link suspension. Pay special attention to the coil spring - as any friction on the top mount will show in the spring, but possibly only under load.

To check you'd want the front raised both sides, then go hard lock to hard lock and see if that reveals any sound, with road wheels off and someone's ear at each axle. It's doing it under load - so that might not reveal anything. You could try a magazine under each tyre (reduces friction) with the vehicle lowered and see if that throws up anything and turn the steering wheel. You could also try some silicone spray on ARB joints to see if that isolates the fault.
Thanks for the reply.
The video isn’t the best but you’re right, it’s a creaking noise…sounds like somethings ripping in half! Mileage is 79k, ish.

It’s got me stumped, but to be fair I’m no mechanic…just have my experience to go on; but as it’s been checked and no issues 3 times (plus an MOT) it must be something outside the normal failures.
I have noticed two other issues the May or may or be related:
- after hitting bumps, or man hole covers at 40+ mph, the car rides the initial bump ok but then as it settles, the car lurches to left or right (depending on which wheel hits the bump)
- on full lock, there’s a good deal of vibration and feedback that may be normal, but I haven’t noticed it before

I’m going to try and have a few hours with it myself on the weekend and see if there’s anything abnormal…and I’ll definitely try what you suggest.

Cheers

Reactions: spartacus68
Closing this thread off; I’ve now had the lower control arms, both front and rear, replaced on the front end. Had the ball joints done as well.
Mechanic showed me the removed parts and whilst there was some minor signs of wear, we agreed that they didn’t really look dead.
However, when driving the car now, there is no more creaking and the front end feels much more solid. Still a little jittery, but much better.
So I guess it wasn’t one specific part, but accumulation of all of them?

Reactions: spartacus68