Not So Awesome GTI

enc

Reaction score
Applied for a quote to supply and fit plugs to my A3, 1.4 TFSI.

After a few days, i received a reply...

plugs 4 X NGK PZKER7B8EGS £80.80 PLUS vat = £96.96

LABOUR TO FIT PLUGS £61.68 PLUS VAT = £74.25

I dont have an issue with the labour ... i believe they can be a ******* to fit and that is why i wasn't going to do them myself... but £96.96 for the plugs :wtf:

4 X NGK PZKER7B8EGS can be picked up anywhere for around £40.00

i asked Awesome GTI to check the price they quoted for the plugs ... I'm still awaiting a reply :whistle2:

Applied for a quote to supply and fit plugs to my A3, 1.4 TFSI.

After a few days, i received a reply...

plugs 4 X NGK PZKER7B8EGS £80.80 PLUS vat = £96.96

LABOUR TO FIT PLUGS £61.68 PLUS VAT = £74.25

I dont have an issue with the labour ... i believe they can be a ******* to fit and that is why i wasn't going to do them myself... but £96.96 for the plugs :wtf:

4 X NGK PZKER7B8EGS can be picked up anywhere for around £40.00

i asked Awesome GTI to check the price they quoted for the plugs ... I'm still awaiting a reply :whistle2:

Gotta pay for the fancy premises somehow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: enc
Actually it is standard practice, any garage that provides the parts these days will charge a 100% ex vat ontop of the provided part... this is why i do maintenance myself. Yes i hate doing it most of the time but i just can't deal with those prices... just go and have new tires fitted... everywhere around my area charges 20 quid (incl VAT) for it... I almost lost my cool with my tire place when they told me the fitting price... apparently they do it so people are more inclined to buy the tires from them at way higher prices but fitting is included. It still worked out cheaper for me to supply my own tires of the brand and specifications I wanted than buying their offerings with fitting included.

Gotta pay for the fancy premises somehow

:pirate: not out of my pocket :friendly wink:

Actually it is standard practice, any garage that provides the parts these days will charge a 100% ex vat ontop of the provided part... this is why i do maintenance myself. Yes i hate doing it most of the time but i just can't deal with those prices... just go and have new tires fitted... everywhere around my area charges 20 quid (incl VAT) for it... I almost lost my cool with my tire place when they told me the fitting price... apparently they do it so people are more inclined to buy the tires from them at way higher prices but fitting is included. It still worked out cheaper for me to supply my own tires of the brand and specifications I wanted than buying their offerings with fitting included.
it stinks. especially considering the plugs will have been at trade price to them. why not sell them at the RRP like all other traders?

Reactions: northpole
look what arrived £41.00 including delivery...

ZJXnRBZ.jpg

thb3qyl.jpg

Reactions: northpole
Its called profit, and sadly if you go to any trader for work to be carried out they will charge you their rates whether they are half price on the web or on the high street.
The only way round it is to DIY, which is why so many owners opt to do just that.
A lot of garages won't use parts supplied by the owner for just that reason, they won't make any profit on the parts supplied.

Reactions: 8YARWY, Audi Bairn, enc and 1 other person
That aside, aswome GTI are known for being expensive for everything, but they have a lot of products so kinda have a monopoly of the online market.

I purchased a Wasa motor freewheel direct from wasamotor on boxing day evening (tues), it was here 8.30 thursady morning £160 door to door , gti want £190 for the copy from VIS, so why pay £30 more for a copy of the original design , no reason at all but some people just think gti are the place to go.

Reactions: 8YARWY, enc and northpole
The only way round it is to DIY, which is why so many owners opt to do just that.
... and what I ordinarily do Charlie :thumbs up:only reason I initially approached Awesome GTI is because its close to home and removing the coil pack can be a palava on these engines.

.... right, im off to google "Wasa motor freewheel" :redface new:

Reactions: Charlie Farley, 8YARWY and northpole
Its called profit, and sadly if you go to any trader for work to be carried out they will charge you their rates whether they are half price on the web or on the high street.
A lot of garages won't use parts supplied by the owner for just that reason, they won't make any profit on the parts supplied.

Yeah I get that but they will still be getting those plugs at well under £10 each, there’s greedy and there’s really greedy.

I order material all the time in my business but there’s no chance I could ask a customer to stand double on it…..

Reactions: Charlie Farley and enc

I’ve recently had a crap experience with Macclesfield audi, £520 to have brake fluid left on 2 calipers, pollen filter not changed, oil filter housing bleed nipple not reset, resulting in a leak, and kept waiting for 1 & a half hour before being given the car back.

I only get it done at Audi to preserve the warranty / service history yet Audi dealers are the worst of all.

Reactions: SCC9, Charlie Farley and enc
I’ve recently had a crap experience with Macclesfield audi, £520 to have brake fluid left on 2 calipers, pollen filter not changed, oil filter housing bleed nipple not reset, resulting in a leak, and kept waiting for 1 & a half hour before being given the car back.

I only get it done at Audi to preserve the warranty / service history yet Audi dealers are the worst of all.

Yeah, and people go on about the importance of full MAIN DEALER service history :shrug:

Reactions: 8YARWY and Charlie Farley
Yeah I get that but they will still be getting those plugs at well under £10 each, there’s greedy and there’s really greedy.

I order material all the time in my business but there’s no chance I could ask a customer to stand double on it…..

Agreed but it is still just down to profits, the more a business can squeeze out of a customer the more they will do it.
All businesses profit out of materials, in the gardening sector which I'm in, profit margins on trade plants can be very lucrative, and you would be shocked at the markup involved, that said in this line of work profits can keep a business going over the winter months when the weather puts the brakes on things.
Swings and round abouts really , but in GTI's instance it may just be sheer profit to be honest or they have massive overheads to cover, or greedy shareholders.

Reactions: enc and 8YARWY
I can buy in very large olive trees trade for £900 +vat , they retail at £3500 and sell really well.

that may sound a lot per unit but with expensive plant machinery to run and maintain , seasonal changes in work loads etc, those profit are quickly depleated , its those overheads again, they are allways present.

Reactions: enc and 8YARWY
jup and that is why I refuse to have maintenance done at those prices...

I’ve never really had a bad experience with awesome but their parts are expensive. They do have a price match policy but I think they bank on people not knowing about it or not bothering with it. I wonder if they’d honour the price match policy on parts when they are supplying AND fitting?

When I bought my coilovers a few years back, I found them £100 cheaper elsewhere and they price matched it for me no issues.

Reactions: enc and Charlie Farley
I used them for my KW coilovers too a couple of years ago, way more expensive but they had the best delivery time so kinda sealed the deal really, not used since though as i normally get from other sources cheaper.

I have contacted them for a cost for new plugs and coil packs to supply only they gave me a cost for the coil packs and said they would give me a 5% discount on them as for the plugs they asked for my reg and got nothing back. Sent them a chase up email for them to read it and they still never responded absolute joke and now with tps shut to walk in Audi it is.

I have contacted them for a cost for new plugs and coil packs to supply only they gave me a cost for the coil packs and said they would give me a 5% discount on them as for the plugs they asked for my reg and got nothing back. Sent them a chase up email for them to read it and they still never responded absolute joke and now with tps shut to walk in Audi it is.

I’ve recently started using these for OE parts.
Really impressed with them and bigger discount than TPS.

Email Nicki Powell.

info@ceautomotive.co.uk

9b1af4fb4a0aedcf4f1b4f85999d5357.jpg

Reactions: enc and s5joe
You should be able to fit them yourself if you have a socket set. I got my 1.2 A3 a set of plugs for only £55

GSF parts

You should be able to fit them yourself if you have a socket set. I got my 1.2 A3 a set of plugs for only £55
Hmmm, I've always done my own servicing, but after watching a few youtube videos it appeared swapping out plugs can be a pig of a job on this engine. that was the reason I initially approached Awesome GTI.
As it happened, it turned out to be the case with my car. The mechanic who fitted them charged me £30 but said three out of four coil packs were a ******* to remove... he ended up using compressed air apparently.