Rear Brake caliper woes

LeeA38P

Reaction score
I've had a niggling issue with my rear brakes which I've now sorted, I'm posting this in case it helps anyone else with a similar issue.

Ever since I bought my 2012 A3 8p in October 2023, there has been a judder on the car from 65mph plus.

The clutch and flywheel were replaced not long after I bought it to solve another judder, mainly from pull away.

I thought this might have contributed to the judder at speed, but it continued after the clutch and flywheel replacement.

The car had an MOT at the end of August 2023, which came back with no advisories, the MOT history mentioned that the off side rear caliper was binding, which was subsequently gone on the MOT in August 2023. OK great, it's been solved!
Sadly that wasn't the case.

I'd been hearing a slight high pitched squeal in the past couple of months. coming from the rear of the car.

Over the Christmas period I thought I'd investigate this noise and looked at the rear brakes.

Upon removing the OSR wheel, I was met with brake pads that were down to the bare metal on the one side. I purchased myself some new ones and set about fitting them.

And that's when the real issue reared it's ugly head.......

I tried to wind the caliper back in so that I could fit the new pads. Nope. Won't budge, not even with an impact driver on the rewind tool. Totally. Seized.

I grabbed a new caliper, fitted it, replaced all the pads, bled the system and now I have no more judder at speed.

So, if anyone has a similar judder at speed, look at your rear brakes.

Common issue on 8P rear calipers unfortunately, be careful as there's a guy on eBay selling refurb OEM calipers that leak after a short period, basically shxt refurb seals etc & he's a dxck to deal with for warranty.

Reactions: LeeA38P
Exchange unit usually Brake Engineering via your local motor factor is always a good shout.

Had to replace the first rear caliper on ours at I think was 260k so ended up doing both for good measure. As of yet at 345k it hasn’t had a front!

Reactions: LeeA38P and ahtcap
I had read that they are a common issue, especially the off side one.

Luckily my local GSF car parts had a TRW caliper in stock, as well the metal pipe that goes on it as the old one split as I was removing it from the old caliper.

Thanks for the recommendations on where to source them from, guys :)

Reactions: Darren92
Had to change mine as well 2 years ago, changed both rears for balance. Bought from ECP.

Essentially, it’s the same design from back in the days of the mk2 golf gti. Subsequently, Every golf since has the same issue. My A3 8p went through a couple of callipers during my ownership.
Excessive brake dust on the offending wheel and a “hot” brake disc after a run are the tell tail signs.

Had the same issue with my s3 8p. purchased 2 new febi rear calipers for £100. be warned both my small brake lines snapped when removing as they're so damn brittle you'll have to probably replace them too. £15 febi.