Intermittent 3k RPM Limit - Idle 170 BRD

Matt275

Reaction score
Hi,

06/56 170 BRD S Line with 62k miles.
Firstly, I'm really not sure how long this has been happening, but seems odd to me.

Ok, I have discovered today that at full temp idle, sometimes it won't rev over 3k RPM - no big deal I guess, but say 5 seconds later (without recycling the ignition) it will happily rev past 3k RPM.

Whilst driving it doesn't go into limp mode or 6k RPM limit, and goes through the full rev range etc.

As I say, I don't know how long this has been happening as I've never actually revved it as such on idle, but I tried it today after a 15 mile drive, and discovered it.
Any suggestions?

I haven't plugged it in to see if any codes, no CEL / EML to report. Any ideas where I could have a look at a hard fault perhaps?

Sticky vanes needing an Italian tune up?

I can't seem to edit my post, but I think what I'm experiencing is perhaps a safety feature.
On idle, it only hits the 3k RPM rev limiter with the clutch down or partially depressed.

Clutch fully up and it revs freely past 3k RPM while stationary.
Whilst moving, clutch down and it revs past 3k freely.
Must be to stop people doing silly launches / safety feature, I just wasn't aware of it.

I can launch my Subaru, that thing just anchors itself on all 4 corners and gets down! I rarely do it though, but man it takes off.

The vehicle was fixed! In the event that your vehicle is tossing codes P0100 and P0101, read this!!! Some way or another, my 10 amp EFI NO. 2 circuit was totally destroyed, as Yamae referenced is a basic piece of our vehicles' tasks. Once more I exchanged over a 10A from my horn to supplant the blown wire, left the battery separated for a couple of moments to reset the PC, and everything is great! Joined are some photographs of the circuit enclose my 99. My finger is pointing at the 10 amp meld you really want to check.

snaptube vidmate

Hi,

06/56 170 BRD S Line with 62k miles.
Firstly, I'm really not sure how long this has been happening, but seems odd to me.

Ok, I have discovered today that at full temp idle, sometimes it won't rev over 3k RPM - no big deal I guess, but say 5 seconds later (without recycling the ignition) it will happily rev past 3k RPM.

Whilst driving it doesn't go into limp mode or 6k RPM limit, and goes through the full rev range etc.

As I say, I don't know how long this has been happening as I've never actually revved it as such on idle, but I tried it today after a 15 mile drive, and discovered it.
Any suggestions?

I haven't plugged it in to see if any codes, no CEL / EML to report. Any ideas where I could have a look at a hard fault perhaps?

Sticky vanes needing an Italian tune up?
Yes, I had this issue on my previous Mk5 Golf GTI (I think it was this or the A3 TFSI) and I spent ages looking into the issue until Googling informed me that when in neutral or similar it will not rev past 3k. I'm sure you could get it mapped out but I quite liked the idea once I knew it was a feature and not an issue.