What locking wheel nut do I need?

CanadaA3wales

Canadian living in South Wales - Audi A3 8V 150BHP
Reaction score
Hey all.

I've lost my locking wheel nut and need to buy another one. I can't shop on Ebay, but amazon have tons for sale and cheap.

Does anyone know exactly which locking key I need?

16" 5 star wheel if that helps.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• 20240105_112500.jpg
    20240105_112500.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 125
Audi dealership will be able to supply you with the correct one based in your vehicles vin. They will have a record of what “code” your vehicle left the factory with.

Audi dealership will be able to supply you with the correct one based in your vehicles vin. They will have a record of what “code” your vehicle left the factory with.

Then bin them once they're removed :grin::grin:

Reactions: Mazman
Then bin them once they're removed :grin::grin:
I'm not going to the dealer, they want £80.00 for a simple key..

Amazon has tons for £20.00, and the seller of my Audi had to buy one and he got it for £25.00

I can't get to the dealer anyway, surely I don't need to get the code from them, as the picture should tell people who are in the know, which one I need.

Not going to the dealer, I already said.

Seller bought one when I bought it as didn't have one. He got it for 20.00, but can't get a hold of him as he wouldn't remember as it was a dealer.

Surly there is a way of what type of key it is by looking at it?

It isn't that easy, as many variations look similar. However:

https://www.lockingwheelnutkeys.co.uk/
may help. I can't recommend as I've no experience of them.
As these things are more trouble than they are worth, I'd echo the advice to bin them and replace with standard bolts.

That's not a dealer locking bolt, it's aftermarket & it's a simple version.

Best to whack a socket onto the end & remove, then refit mcgards which have a key code & replacement service fairly easily.

Always take a pic of your key, serial key code that comes in the box anyway for replacements & of the bolt fitted to the wheels, that aids mcgard to send you a new one, albeit for a fair price.

Yes I think it's aftermarket.

I'll I am asking is... Does anyone know which nut I need to remove this, I cannot take my car to the garage, both wheels are done, one alloy broken.

I'm not asking right now about binning it ect.. I am asking which type of key do I need.

Is there a way of finding out, so I can buy one online.. Its a pretty simple question.

So far I have.. Take it to a dealer or throw them away when they are off.. But no advive on which type of key, how to get it off, it's off the road.

If people don't know what type of key it is, or how to get it off.

I'm sorry, this is urgent, I need to get back on the road. Obviously the car is mine as been posting about this car on here for 4 years lol.

Thanks all

I just advised hit a socket on the end & it will undo, then whack the bolt out of the socket with a hard long bolt & hammer then do the next one.

In other words forget the key.

I have a socket set and a hammer... This needs to be done at my house, I cannot afford for someone to come out and do it as I now need a new rim and 2 tyres.

Any Idea how I do this? Just put a socket that will fit... Then wack the socket and wrench with a hammer?

Just that, hit socket on so it sits tight on the bolt head then with a suitable ratchet that fits the socket head try to undo, if the socket just turns & bolt doesn't then either hit socket on harder to get it to stay on the bolt head or use a smaller socket.

May take few attempts but it does work & you'll need to use a vice or 2 hard bricks to hit the bolt out of the socket to reuse said socket for the next bolt.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Reactions: NHN