After six years with a troublesome early C7 Allroad, I'm considering a newer second-hand model: should I go for a low mileage late C7 or an early C8?

Krickyjink

Reaction score
Some advice please, guys n gals,

I have owned a 2015 C7 AUDI A6 3.0TDI 215bhp Allroad since 2018, and have taken it from 40 K to 130K initially with main dealer servicing, and latterly the village garage (-who had previously looked after a couple of my BMW 525iX's very well). Things started going downhill, since when it has felt that the car has owned me, just over a year ago when the Audi 'threw' a diesel injector. Both that injector, and another found leaking on inspection, were cleaned and reseated, and their stripped retaining bolts' sockets heli-coiled back into the cylinder head (-and new bolts used at my insistence, given the torque-tech issue). The same problem had occurred with another injector two years before -an unsettling, but in the event, a durable repair.

However, on the latter occasion, a smell of diesel persisted, about which the garage said they weren't surprised and reassured me, citing heavy prior cylinder head diesel contamination. MPG was satisfactory on a 140-mile test drive, to Bristol and back, and I set out on a trip from Worcestershire to Scotland to see a newborn granddaughter.

Just short of Tebay, the steering suddenly became oddly uncertain, traffic density was thankfully low and, in drizzle at dusk, I slowed to 40mph without braking on a serendipitous stretch of uphill gradient, and gently eased the vehicle into the nearside lane, whereupon it suddenly spun anticlockwise thro 180º and then, pointing south, slammed its offside into a nearside crash-barrier along the hard shoulder, incurring modest damage to front and rear offside wings.

No other vehicle was involved. Highways Agency recovered me to some nearby off M-way services, the police remarking on a strong smell of diesel, as well as noticing diesel on the road under the car. The Highways Agency recovery man complained that the diesel transferred to the soles of his boots lubricated them on the rubber pedals of his truck.

I called the AA, to diagnose the source of my diesel leak, my hoping that were this identified and fixed, then I might be able to drive the vehicle home, safely. The insurers' flatbed truck was otherwise going to take 48-72hours. The AA identified a loose (ie completely detached) low-pressure diesel return pipe as the source, then left the scene saying they shouldn't have attended a vehicle involved in an RTA. Left to my own devices, I reattached the diesel return, using a cable tie to secure it. After testing the steering on a few circuits of the now deserted services' parking lot, tyres dry and diesel dissipated, I gingerly headed back down an empty M6 at a sedate 50mph, my arriving uneventfully home at daybreak. A new OEM diesel return system was duly fitted and the bodywork repaired by the insurers. And then another injector reseated.

The body-shop remarked upon an engine oil leak, for which a cracked offside rocker-cover was blamed and replaced. However, the oil leak persisted, and the garage fingered a leaking front crankshaft seal. They stripped off the front of the car for access, removed the pulley, replaced the seal and then put everything back together again. About 50 miles later, the Audi invited me to top-up the engine with a litre of oil... Pulling off the M5, I could see the front crankshaft seal dripping again. Reading about the subject, I noted that a £75 Audi special tool was recommended for the seal replacement job, as well as the use of some high-temperature superglue at £40/tube. I sourced a Victor Reinz OEM seal, which was handily supplied with a bespoke plastic disposable fixing tool in the box, and ordered the expensive special glue. The Seal was replaced a second time by the village garage and, at my instigation, the rocker cover CCV apparatus on the nearside bank checked for blockages.

Before I could replace the car, an AdBlue System Fault advisory appeared on the instrument console with '650miles to no restart'. Diagnostics indicated an intermittent NOx sensor fault. Replacement corrected the NOx sensor diagnosis, but the AdBlue System Fault notice persisted, along with an illuminated orange engine light, further diagnostics indicating an ostensibly new 'low reductant pump pressure' fault. The AdBlue injector nozzle appeared 'as clean as a whistle'.

Time for a visit to the main dealer. They confirmed the 'low reductant pressure' error, and whilst discovering that the Adblue pump is physically working, with measurable output, they suspect a defective pressure sensor, an integral part of the pump, and have recommended pump replacement (£800 + Labour @ £169/hr + VAT). Inspection also leads them to suspect an ongoing oil leak, as well as a mysterious coolant leak (-pink liquid was identified in the engine 'V' as well as dripping beneath the car, where admixed with oil, it besmirched their workshop floor). Coolant level in the expansion/top-up tank was satisfactory. Another injector was leaking, btw. Divers other sundry issues were identified. They appeared quite shocked; I was sad.

When I have had the AdBlue pump replaced, the ECU reset, the question of the oil and coolant leaks sorted, and the injector reseated, it will be time to dispose of the vehicle and buy a younger model. For various reasons, I genuinely need an A6 Allroad, so the choice lies between another slightly later (eg 2018) low mileage (eg 30K) C7, or a somewhat higher mileage C8, my planning to spend £25-30K. Fortunately, I do not need to sell the good sense of this to a significant other.

So here's the question: how much of this tale of woe is down to recognised age-related C7-specific problems which I might avoid with a C8? Or might a leap into an even more technologically complex' C8, whilst avoiding groundhog-day, be a frying pan-fire job? Either way, I'm thinking entry-level, not biturbo.

Obviously enough, I'm posting this in both the C7 and C8 forums.

I look forward to folks' opinions and considered advice.

Thank you,

Chris Poole

Sorry to read about all the recent issues with the AllRoad. I have owned 2 C7 Avants (both 2.0 Diesel) and 2 C8 Avants (one a 40TDi and the other a 40TFSi), so hopefully vena provide some helpful perspective for you.

You don't say if you are looking for another AllRoad or a regular Avant (assume not a saloon). The C8 AllRoad was only available for a comparatively short time and dropped from the range last year so you will probably struggle to find many. Looking at the C8 platform in general, the initial launch specs of the cars were either 40TDi (FWD) or 50TDi (Quattro), there was a 55TFSi (quattro) for a short period but that was dropped and latter there a 45TFSi (Quattro) and 45TDi (Quattro) were also added and finally a 40TFSi (FWD). The 50TDi was dropped sometime (I think) in 2022 so all C8s now are 4cyl.

The C8 was the first foray into mild hybrid (12v for 4cyl and 48v for 6cyl) and the early cars suffered from hesitation when accelerating, especially from slow speeds. A software update resolved that. There are issues with Starter/Alternator on both the 12v and 48v systems. The 12v cars had an Audi recall to replace the starter/alternator, I think this affected mainly cars built up until some point in 2020. On the 48v cars there is an ongoing issue with the BSG failing and leaving drivers stranded. lack of replacement parts have seen cars of the road for weeks (although this mainly seems to be a US problem, but then most of the A6s sold their are 6cyl not 4cyl). Cars built after October last year have a new BSG and this is now being used to replace those that fail.

From a technology perspective the base C8 is essentially a C7 with TechPack and the C8 with TechPack takes the technology to the next level. Personally I prefer the C8 over the C7. The base 4 cyl engine on the c8 has c200bhp so not far off the power of your AllRoad. The 4cyl Quattro cars (45) have c245bhp. The C8 was criticised for its touch screens, however you very quickly get used to is and all the necessary functions are available at the top level so no need to go hunting in sub-menus to turn on heated seats, like some other manufacturers. Cars built from late 2020 (changed to MIB-3 form MIB-2, identified by USB-c sockets in armrest) have wireless apple CarPlay, rather than wired. Android Auto is still wired. Early cars had issues with overly sensitive Audi Assist and there were also many issues with software faults in the MIB-2 system. The MIB-3 software seems better although not perfect. As standard the C8s do not have a space saver spare, could be specced as an option, instead they have a can of gunk and a compressor.

You will no doubt gets loads of advice saying buy c7, buy c8, don't touch egos etc…, my only recommendation in buying a C8 is to buy one with a really solid warranty. They are complex cars (as is the c7 in all honestly) and if things go wrong they can be frighteningly expensive. I had to have the instrument (not virtual cockpit) display replaced because of a fault (turn indicator light stayed on) and had I paid for it, it would have been £1300 for the part alone.

Reactions: spartacus 68
Sorry to read about all the recent issues with the AllRoad. I have owned 2 C7 Avants (both 2.0 Diesel) and 2 C8 Avants (one a 40TDi and the other a 40TFSi), so hopefully vena provide some helpful perspective for you.

You don't say if you are looking for another AllRoad or a regular Avant (assume not a saloon). The C8 AllRoad was only available for a comparatively short time and dropped from the range last year so you will probably struggle to find many. Looking at the C8 platform in general, the initial launch specs of the cars were either 40TDi (FWD) or 50TDi (Quattro), there was a 55TFSi (quattro) for a short period but that was dropped and latter there a 45TFSi (Quattro) and 45TDi (Quattro) were also added and finally a 40TFSi (FWD). The 50TDi was dropped sometime (I think) in 2022 so all C8s now are 4cyl.

The C8 was the first foray into mild hybrid (12v for 4cyl and 48v for 6cyl) and the early cars suffered from hesitation when accelerating, especially from slow speeds. A software update resolved that. There are issues with Starter/Alternator on both the 12v and 48v systems. The 12v cars had an Audi recall to replace the starter/alternator, I think this affected mainly cars built up until some point in 2020. On the 48v cars there is an ongoing issue with the BSG failing and leaving drivers stranded. lack of replacement parts have seen cars of the road for weeks (although this mainly seems to be a US problem, but then most of the A6s sold their are 6cyl not 4cyl). Cars built after October last year have a new BSG and this is now being used to replace those that fail.

From a technology perspective the base C8 is essentially a C7 with TechPack and the C8 with TechPack takes the technology to the next level. Personally I prefer the C8 over the C7. The base 4 cyl engine on the c8 has c200bhp so not far off the power of your AllRoad. The 4cyl Quattro cars (45) have c245bhp. The C8 was criticised for its touch screens, however you very quickly get used to is and all the necessary functions are available at the top level so no need to go hunting in sub-menus to turn on heated seats, like some other manufacturers. Cars built from late 2020 (changed to MIB-3 form MIB-2, identified by USB-c sockets in armrest) have wireless apple CarPlay, rather than wired. Android Auto is still wired. Early cars had issues with overly sensitive Audi Assist and there were also many issues with software faults in the MIB-2 system. The MIB-3 software seems better although not perfect. As standard the C8s do not have a space saver spare, could be specced as an option, instead they have a can of gunk and a compressor.

You will no doubt gets loads of advice saying buy c7, buy c8, don't touch egos etc…, my only recommendation in buying a C8 is to buy one with a really solid warranty. They are complex cars (as is the c7 in all honestly) and if things go wrong they can be frighteningly expensive. I had to have the instrument (not virtual cockpit) display replaced because of a fault (turn indicator light stayed on) and had I paid for it, it would have been £1300 for the part alone.
Thanks. My fault for such a long posting, but 6 lines up from the bottom, I say that 'I genuinely need another Allroad'. But your perspective, born of experience wuith the C7 and C8 Avants is much appreciated, not withstanding their different engines from the Allroad, so thank you very much. BSG's are new to me! Jeeze! Did the C8 Allroads have them? As for the spare tyre, I hate space-savers; prior to the last 12 months' problems, the space server was my main bugbear. I'd have paid extra for a standard wheel & tyre... When one has a puncture, its never 'convenient' and the last thing one ever wants to do at the roadside is deal with extra tech/hassle of having to inflate a tyre (at 120dB!). Whosoever designs a 'space-saver' into a vehicle has no empathy for a punctured poor punter!

Sorry, missed the bit about you needing an AllRoad. All C8s are mild hybrid (our in the case of the TFSie a full hybrid) so have the starter/generator.

You will almost certainly find greater choice if you look for a late C7 model than a C8. I think most people looking for a car capable of some light off-road duty when down the SUV route and hence few AllRoads were sold leading to both A6 and A4 AllRoad being dropped from the UK market.

I really wanted an Allroad C8 to replace two Allroad C7s but was after a BiTDI which doesn't exist on the C8. So I ended up with an S6 and have found I don't miss the Allroad's softer ride. I do think the C8 Allroad is the best looking C8 though.

The C8 is just a development of the C7 really so I'd not be confident that any issues had been ironed out; but equally you may just have been unlucky with your current car. Unless you go for the 55TFSI you'll have another V6 diesel in the C8 Allroad which may put you off.

It does look like C8 Allroad prices are finally coming down, though I think they're holding up better than other A6 Avants still. I'd imagine there are deals to be done.