Heated mirrors don't work

vdk

Reaction score
Hello, I have an A6 C7 3.0l TDI 245hp, the issue i'm having is that when I turn the switch(on the driver's door) to heated mirrors, both of my mirrors don't defrost/defog(they don't get warm when i touch them) and when i check the ECO gauge it doesn't show that they've been turned on, everything else that i turn on it shows on the gauge but not the heated mirrors. I don't know if doesn't show because there is a problem with the mirrors or is it something that just doesn't allow me to turn them on. I have the car for about 6 months now and never had to use the heated mirrors until now since it's winter.
Please help.
Also the mirrors have that auto dim function(which works fine), don't know if it's relevant for the heated mirrors but just mentioning it just in case.

If both are not working I would suspect either a faulty switch or fuse. If both mirror glasses have burnt out then that will be an expensive fix as you have the dimming function as well which ups the price significantly.

How can i check if the switch is faulty, also i checked the owners manual and there is no fuse mentioned for the heated mirrors(it could be one fuse with something else, do you have any idea which fuse it is?)

Ideally need to check if the glass is heated as there are various versions, dimming usually has heated also but Audi are sneaky & they may have just made a dimming non heated version too, ideally remove glass & check behind & show us a pic, be careful as longer they're on the harder to remove, tilt & apply even pressure at the top, it's tricky so be careful as these are upto £500 a side now.

When refitting, spray white grease on rear so it's easy on & off future wise.

Not sure which fuse it would be, sorry. One option to test where the problem is would be to remove the mirror glass (see sticky at top of this forum about replacing mirror caps to see how to do this). Then using a multimeter you could see if there is current flowing to the mirror when you switch the heating on (you'll need to work out which wire is for the heating, which is earth and which is for the dimming). If power is getting to the mirror and not heating then the glass is faulty. If no power is getting to the mirror then it points to fuse, switch or broken wire. You could also check the glass to see if there is continuity on the mirror circuit. If there is continuity then the glass should OK

Yes that's what i was thinking as well, removing the glass, switch the heating and check for voltage on the cables and check for resistance on the glass to see where the connection is broken.
Do you think there is a way this could have been disabled using diagnostics?

Yes that's what i was thinking as well, removing the glass, switch the heating and check for voltage on the cables and check for resistance on the glass to see where the connection is broken.
Do you think there is a way this could have been disabled using diagnostics?
Wouldn't have thought so. Changes in VCDS tend to be functions that are software enable and this is a hardware feature with a physical switch. It is not like older generations of A6s (C5 if I recall), where the heated mirrors were on all the time. I had an A4 with this "feature" and it had numerous replacement mirror glasses that had burnt out.