Driving in the snow

Scott Petrie

Reaction score
Hi I have a 2023 A3 saloon black edition s-tronic. Has anyone got any tips for driving in the snow? Its not quattro and is an absolute nightmare. I had to get pushed out my work car park tonight and it was barely on a slope at all. As soon as I hit snow I just spin. Even going up a slip road onto the dual carriageway I was slipping. Total waste of time in the snow!

No tricks, just drive slowly and carefully, very gentle on the accelerator. With winter tyres there's no problem at all. Audi is actually very capable car in the snowy conditions, but there's just no snow grip with regular tyres. Tried that once when winter came suddenly, drove 100 meters and when the car went straight in the first corner, I drove back, changed the tyres and got late for work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 45bvtc
Treat each pedal as though it is an unboiled egg, amd make every steering input as gentle and smooth as possible. Don't do anything suddenly.

And yes, if things are as bad as you're describing and you're unable to maintain safe control through technique alone, a set of winter tyres may be your only option.

Last edited:
Reactions: vatdim, Mr Freeze and AdamInKent
Hi I have a 2023 A3 saloon black edition s-tronic. Has anyone got any tips for driving in the snow? Its not quattro and is an absolute nightmare. I had to get pushed out my work car park tonight and it was barely on a slope at all. As soon as I hit snow I just spin. Even going up a slip road onto the dual carriageway I was slipping. Total waste of time in the snow!
Please go watch:
View: https://youtu.be/7l2cMlNRX_A

And here on my RS3 the difference between summer and winter tyres:

Winter tyres RS3

And it's not just about 'traction' but braking and steering also - and quattro doesn't help with braking and traction.

Snake winters

No worries....

Reactions: Mr Freeze and AdamInKent
And it's not just about 'traction' but braking and steering also - and quattro doesn't help with braking and traction.

No worries....
He's right, for years I had impreza's and awesome 4 wheel drive and sure footed ....in all conditions except snow/ice. As pointed out brilliant for traction and grip going UP but coming down, well then you are like any other car , in my case I was just a big sledge with gold wheels :)

Winter tires and gentle inputs is the way to go.

Funnily enough for many years my Dad was a fan of Mercedes but whenever we went across to switzerland for skiing, it was literally the worst car ever. Like a big bar of soap. Which is why at the bottom of the hill on the flat they had signs that said . Fit snow chains now.

Michelin CrossClimate2 tyres are your friend here. Have them fitted to all mine and my parents vehicles and never an issue. They're on a mix of fwd, torsen quattro and a haldex 4wd

Reactions: AdamInKent and swisstony
Michelin CrossClimate2 tyres are your friend here. Have them fitted to all mine and my parents vehicles and never an issue. They're on a mix of fwd, torsen quattro and a haldex 4wd
Any all season tyre will outperform the standard fit summer tyres in snow. They are a good compromise between summer and winter tyres, for those of us who live in a temperate climate who don’t want the hassle of changing and storing two sets of tyres. They outperform summer tyres below about 12 degC (IIRC) and don’t degrade as badly as winter tyres in warmer months.

Any all season tyre will outperform the standard fit summer tyres in snow. They are a good compromise between summer and winter tyres, for those of us who live in a temperate climate who don’t want the hassle of changing and storing two sets of tyres. They outperform summer tyres below about 12 degC (IIRC) and don’t degrade as badly as winter tyres in warmer months.

I use to have 2 sets of wheels for each vehicle (summer set and winter tyre set) as there never was a good (imo) allseason tyre available. I too got fed up having space taken up by sets of wheels and having to change them over. Allseasons suit UK roads fine, maybe not in the far north of Scotland but here in NI they're the most wise decision for all the snow/<7degc we get.

Reactions: AdamInKent
If the outside is covered with snow, best if you do not even drive on summer tyres. If you live somewhere where may get snow, next tyre change get some all-seasons. If you live somewhere where snow is a given, get a separate set of winters on steel rims (ugly black ones). Else get a pair of snow socks (for tyres) in case you get stranded, after some sudden snow. Myself, I drove with my 1.0 Ibiza DSG, when the road were slushy, some snow and around -2, with summer bridgesetones Potenzas, I took it easy, used engine to brake, left plenty of distance to the other brave motorist and 'forced' it to start in 2nd gear when moving off. Shame they did away with 'winter' gear on the Autos, remembered back in the 90s I was in a car with auto, and had a snowflake button, which made the car start in 2nd gear. I'm based in London, where winters are usually 6-8 degrees, so I will stick with my summers and not go out when there is snow expected or everywhere.

I used to live in Austria where it's compulsory to have a set of winters and summers, even at -20 completely snow covered, nothing special hapens, at 6am, the tractor comes and shoves snow on the roads to the side, and every car just get on with this on their winter tyres. Even on the highway, cars still go at 80-100kmh (maybe in summer they will go 120-130kmh).

Came here to ask the same question. Couldnt beleive the wheelspin form a light pedal. At a junstion wiht a barely there slope . Worst was my neighbours were having a chat at the corner as well.
Have to llok for some winter wheels and tyres when the weathwe heats up. No deals to be had just now.

Even our SQ5 with permanent 4-wheel drive come mid-November to mid-April gets winter rubber:

P1010203

We need (needed) to get to hospital Chemo appointments whatever the weather!

Tis your ONLY contact with terra-firma - HELLO!

Reactions: J4mieB
hey, what make are these please?
265/40 21 Continental WinterContact TS860 S on 21 inch x 9J ET35 AUDI S5 Rotors running 31/27psi front/rear:

P1040995

Cannot fault 'em...

Reactions: J4mieB
Does anyone know what size options I would have if I went for a set of steel wheels with winter tyres? Currently I have 235/35-19.

Hi Scott,
Here is a tyre comparison site

Check that the 16" wheels will fit over the brakes etc. And that you can get the tyres in the size you want.
I was going to look for some 17 or 18 alloys when i get around to it.

What sizes does the B pillar sticker say with the M+S marking? In my car it recommends one step narrower width than for summer tyres.

Does the OP have Bridgestones fitted? Nearly every time I buy a VW or Audi, I end up with Bridgestone Potenzas or Turanzas. My S3 have them. They are absolutely *****, I don't know how they are marketed as premium tyres. The only good attribute is their wear rate, because they're rock hard. Bridgestones in the Summer are like Michelin Summer tyres in the Winter, Bridgestones in the Winter are just atrocious.

2WD with great tyres will trump Quattro on crap tyres every time.

Reactions: 45bvtc and AdamInKent
For snow driving and I say snow, not thin a thin layer of wet slush , you need snow chains.
Once snow is compacted it makes no difference whether you have 2 WD or 6WD, the tread will become full and compacted you are just driving a large lump of steel on a skid pan .

Unless you have something with serious off-road aggressive tyres then keep a set of chains in the boot.
Winter rubber is great for winter roads but still has limitations in the white stuff.

For snow driving and I say snow, not thin a thin layer of wet slush , you need snow chains.
Once snow is compacted it makes no difference whether you have 2 WD or 6WD, the tread will become full and compacted you are just driving a large lump of steel on a skid pan .

Unless you have something with serious off-road aggressive tyres then keep a set of chains in the boot.
Winter rubber is great for winter roads but still has limitations in the white stuff.
That situation is so infrequent in the UK (far more infrequent for Surrey than the high ground in Co.Durham, Northumberland and a lot of Scotland), I would just avoid driving on those days. Chances are, in that situation of heavy snow, roads will be pandemonium if not closed due to everyone else trying to drive on summer tyres. Most of the UK not living "out in the sticks" can get away with decent Summer tyres (Michelin / Goodyear / Uniroyal / Continental) with a bit of caution, given our mild winters.

Agreed but if you are in a location and find yourself in need of traction in snow which is beyond the ability of normal tyres then having a set of snow chains in the boot will be very beneficial.
They will fit in the boot and use little space and will give the driver just that added bit of traction that may make the difference.

I have friends that live in Gourdon near stonehaven, they just leave a set in the boot of every car they own, run winter tires but when the need arises they wack on chains, works for them .
But like most things, its depends on how deep the snow is .

It makes me chuckle sometimes, all these SUV and Chelsea tractors owners that go out in the snow, albeit 1mm worth, and just get stuck reversing out of their driveway...lol
23" alloys with sports tires and they think they are unstoppable, they have no idea frankly, just watching them slide around in a carpark is classic.

Manual gearbox/low range setting, low speed and some wheel traction. :thumbs up:

I have friends that live in Gourdon near stonehaven, they just leave a set in the boot of every car they own, run winter tires but when the need arises they wack on chains, works for them .
But like most things, its depends on how deep the snow is .
When, Charlie, did you last have 24-hours of snow lying in Surryshire!

Here in Staffordhsire is typical:
A1 snow

And we're just back (Chemo run) with the SQ5 - 4 x winter rubber and all... :racer:

here at the ranchero, it was around 2013 when it was a lot. :thumbs up:

• Haha
Ah yes , but you don't know my previous driving experience over the last 43 years, just because I live in Surrey doesn't mean I don't drive or have driven in all these less-than-ideal conditions,far from it, trust me i know all about driving in snow in the uk and europe.

But hey, it is easy to assume from ones location that they have no idea about some subjects,:whistle2:

Last edited:
On packed or light snow my S3 seems pretty sure-footed. On ice, systems kick in early enough to prevent most of the slippage. Overall seems decent with proper winter tires like my Goodyear Ultragrip Performance 3.

Still haven't had the chance to get a feel for it in deeper snow, where I'm worried if you run out of clearance things may quickly deteriorate.

418925640 1105466327115859 3107538127371202903 n