Drive shaft prematurely worn.

Pie-eyedpiper

Reaction score
I had both front drive shafts changed on my 2.tdi on 13/3/23 at 179987 mls.
Just checked today (190143 mls) as there is a knocking on right lock, thinking it must be one of the suspension arms, can't be the drive shafts.
IMG 20240120 131816932 HDR
IMG 20240120 131825809 HDR
The OS shaft has about 5mm of longitudinal play and the outer boot is in tatters.
Doesn't this seem to be prematurely worn, at 11 mths, for any make of drive shaft? The manufacturer gives a 3 yr warranty.

Wow, that doesn't look good for 11 months.
Possibly a bad batch with that rubber boot which isn't flexible enough and is more like a plastic so doesn't have enough suppleness. Made a lot worse in the cold temperatures we've had these past few weeks. @Charlie Farley noticed something similar but opted to return new ones before fitting them and they were replaced with a note that there was some manufactured with poor quality boots, (I think). He'll chime in at some point I'm sure and is in a better position too comment than me.

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper
I had both front drive shafts changed on my 2.tdi on 13/3/23 at 179987 mls.
Just checked today (190143 mls) as there is a knocking on right lock, thinking it must be one of the suspension arms, can't be the drive shafts.
View attachment 273781View attachment 273782The OS shaft has about 5mm of longitudinal play and the outer boot is in tatters.
Doesn't this seem to be prematurely worn, at 11 mths, for any make of drive shaft? The manufacturer gives a 3 yr warranty.
Evening chap, are they Apec units?

@Pie-eyedpiper , just found your original thread and you did go with Apec, as did I and had the exact same issues .

Both my shafts were shot, same split boots and floppy joints in only 8 months.
They have a 3 year warranty so you need to claim on the warranty through the dealer your purchased them from.

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper and ttelracs
If they don't honor the warranty (it does happen, if you can't hand in the receipt), go for J&R driveshafts, UK made and even the cheapest version is made to last longer than the OEM counterpart. I've been using them for years, on both highly tuned cars cars and factory spec cars.

@Pie-eyedpiper , just found your original thread and you did go with Apec, as did I and had the exact same issues .

Both my shafts were shot, same split boots and floppy joints in only 8 months.
They have a 3 year warranty so you need to claim on the warranty through the dealer your purchased them from.
Thanks Rob, did you get anywhere with a claim?

Reactions: northpole
If they don't honor the warranty (it does happen, if you can't hand in the receipt), go for J&R driveshafts, UK made and even the cheapest version is made to last longer than the OEM counterpart. I've been using them for years, on both highly tuned cars cars and factory spec cars.
I doubt they'll honour the warranty, they'll find a reason. And I would only want my money back, not replacements.
Did you buy J &R driveshafts direct from them?
What was the price like?

Just seen the price on eBay.
They're dirt cheap. Can you confirm they're ok?

Thanks Rob, did you get anywhere with a claim?
Yes i did.
I was going to just write them off then thought , hell no, these were just under £300 and i'm not letting that go lightly, decided to have a chat with Apec directly.
They said they don't deal with warranty issues for driveshafts but any claims will be handled by a separate company and the defective units need to go back to the point of purchase.

Anyway, I started to lose my cool with them and hung up.
Had a chat with the retailer I purchased them from the next day, told them the format , he asked for the invoice, but they had it on their system, milage details etc , left it with them to look into.
A couple of days later they called me back to confirm Apec will replace them free of charge under warranty, and they were aware of ongoing issues with them.

The only downside is that I had to pay for the replacements up front and the retailer will refund my card once apec have received them back, not an issue as such as if I went elsewhere I'd need to pay for new ones.

Spoke to the retailer on Friday and they confirmed apec had recieved them and were just waiting to process them, at that point, I nearly lost my cool again but the retailer assured me there wasn't an issue and id be fully refunded, so that where I'm at .

Reactions: ttelracs, Pie-eyedpiper and northpole
Yes i did.
I was going to just write them off then thought , hell no, these were just under £300 and i'm not letting that go lightly, decided to have a chat with Apec directly.
They said they don't deal with warranty issues for driveshafts but any claims will be handled by a separate company and the defective units need to go back to the point of purchase.

Anyway, I started to lose my cool with them and hung up.
Had a chat with the retailer I purchased them from the next day, told them the format , he asked for the invoice, but they had it on their system, milage details etc , left it with them to look into.
A couple of days later they called me back to confirm Apec will replace them free of charge under warranty, and they were aware of ongoing issues with them.

The only downside is that I had to pay for the replacements up front and the retailer will refund my card once apec have received them back, not an issue as such as if I went elsewhere I'd need to pay for new ones.

Spoke to the retailer on Friday and they confirmed apec had recieved them and were just waiting to process them, at that point, I nearly lost my cool again but the retailer assured me there wasn't an issue and id be fully refunded, so that where I'm at .
So it's a very recent issue then Rob?

I really don't want replacements, just a refund. And I bet you had to return them at your own expense? Was your car off the road for some length of time whilst all this was going on?

My car is due it's MOT in 5 weeks, so think I'm going to have to go elsewhere (probably as @northpole suggests) and then fight the claim.
I'm not fitting them myself, so the falling thing is more fitting charges too.

I think I might give them a go. But them being so cheap, makes me wary.
Mate I have been using them for years even on high torque big bhp builds they never missed a beat. It's why I keep going back to.that brand... I don't know how they manage to manufacture them so cheap, but the quality is outstanding.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

So it's a very recent issue then Rob?

I really don't want replacements, just a refund. And I bet you had to return them at your own expense? Was your car off the road for some length of time whilst all this was going on?

My car is due it's MOT in 5 weeks, so think I'm going to have to go elsewhere (probably as @northpole suggests) and then fight the claim.
I'm not fitting them myself, so the falling thing is more fitting charges too.
The offside started within the first month of fitting, the clip on the wheel side was loose and just wouldn't nip up and grease chucked everywhere, I cut it offin the end and put another one on , which was fine for a few months then a split appeared in it, then a few weeks ago the nearside split big time , thats when I'd had enough of it all and contacted Apec then my supplier.

After the supplier advised me Apec will honour the warranty without question , that suggested that they were aware of issues, which was confirmed by my supplier as it was the first set they have had to return, they were surprised at Apec's response as well.
Anyway, they ordered me a new set which arrived the next day, I had to pay which i was aware off, and fitted them soon after, the sooner I returned them to the supplier the sooner the warranty claim would be refunded to my card.

In that way, i was only off the road for a few hours to swap shafts.
Returns were free , i just dropped them off to my local supplier.

I would get yours back to Apec for a full refund chap, you will need to go through the source that supplied them though, that's how Apec work, so with that in mind you will still need to get a new set from somewhere, apec won't do anything until they get the faulty ones back, been that route and its a non starter.
I supplied the purchase date of mine and the milage accrued from fitting to point of notification, i think i had covered approx 3k miles in 8 months and
had the speedo milage to prove it, they really dont have a leg to stand on given the short time of fitment and nature of failure.

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper and northpole
The offside started within the first month of fitting, the clip on the wheel side was loose and just wouldn't nip up and grease chucked everywhere, I cut it offin the end and put another one on , which was fine for a few months then a split appeared in it, then a few weeks ago the nearside split big time , thats when I'd had enough of it all and contacted Apec then my supplier.

After the supplier advised me Apec will honour the warranty without question , that suggested that they were aware of issues, which was confirmed by my supplier as it was the first set they have had to return, they were surprised at Apec's response as well.
Anyway, they ordered me a new set which arrived the next day, I had to pay which i was aware off, and fitted them soon after, the sooner I returned them to the supplier the sooner the warranty claim would be refunded to my card.

In that way, i was only off the road for a few hours to swap shafts.
Returns were free , i just dropped them off to my local supplier.

I would get yours back to Apec for a full refund chap, you will need to go through the source that supplied them though, that's how Apec work, so with that in mind you will still need to get a new set from somewhere, apec won't do anything until they get the faulty ones back, been that route and its a non starter.
I supplied the purchase date of mine and the milage accrued from fitting to point of notification, i think i had covered approx 3k miles in 8 months and
had the speedo milage to prove it, they really dont have a leg to stand on given the short time of fitment and nature of failure.
And how are the new ones?
Were you happy putting the same make back in after all the hassles?
Did you fit new inner flange bolts each time? That's not cheap either.

Mate I have been using them for years even on high torque big bhp builds they never missed a beat. It's why I keep going back to.that brand... I don't know how they manage to manufacture them so cheap, but the quality is outstanding.

Been looking at some reviews.
One from a few years back say they are good quality. Recent reviews don't talk very highly.
They might have swapped to different materials.
I suppose you pays your money.......

Been looking at some reviews.
One from a few years back say they are good quality. Recent reviews don't talk very highly.
They might have swapped to different materials.
I suppose you pays your money.......
As I said, got them right now and they are just fine. Had them on my previous car also and the car before that, etc... I have never had a problem with any of their driveshafts.

A sad state of affairs, how many people have bought Apec or had these fitted at a garage only to be stuffed 6-12 months later. A lot of us here are spanner monkeys so can remove and replace etc, but still a pain. If you're not, it's another major expense when few of us have the spare money hanging around.

FYI i changed my OS driveshaft on the account of the inner cv boot leaking not longer than 3 months ago I replaced it with a J&R driveshaft ( at that price it's cheaper and way faster than replacing the inner cv boot) long story short it's better quality than the OEM one that came off... (would be as that one was old) so for a recent review I'd buy the same brand again if I need to change a CV boot.

A sad state of affairs, how many people have bought Apec or had these fitted at a garage only to be stuffed 6-12 months later. A lot of us here are spanner monkeys so can remove and replace etc, but still a pain. If you're not, it's another major expense when few of us have the spare money hanging around.
I'm fairly proficient with spanners, are they really a pig to change, inner bolts hub bolt, boots etc?
I was charged £189 (Inc new inner bolts, are they necessary?) by a garage last March. I could do without that expense on top.

FYI i changed my OS driveshaft on the account of the inner cv boot leaking not longer than 3 months ago I replaced it with a J&R driveshaft ( at that price it's cheaper and way faster than replacing the inner cv boot) long story short it's better quality than the OEM one that came off... (would be as that one was old) so for a recent review I'd buy the same brand again if I need to change a CV boot.
I really am tempted at that price, moreso if I do the job myself. Then if they do wear out it's not a biggie, saving garage costs to replace.

If yours is a manual changing the driveshafts is a piece of cake! not as much if it's a autobox... just so you know i found that out the hardway... took me a bit longer than i anticipated... oww and you can re-use the bolts as long as they come out properly. not the main ones but the one at the gearbox side. The J&R driveshaft comes with a bolt for the hubside anyway. I don't bother even asking how much it'll cost anymore... I know i can get the parts ( in most cases, new and cheaper) than what they will quote me. The amount spend on doing it myself can be a nightmare if you have to deal with the upper pinch bolt on the suspension.. but drive shafts? nope DIY is the way to go. Safe money buy better quality parts than oem, spend a few hours or so to replace them (in most cases) and call it a day. ( per hour you're saving 60 pounds ex vat.)

Last edited:
I really am tempted at that price, moreso if I do the job myself. Then if they do wear out it's not a biggie, saving garage costs to replace.
Just a bit of an update for you chap which maybe of help with your decision.

I had a chat with a very helpful chap at Apec this afternoon, managed to speak with the guy from tech support,not the normal muppets in customer services.
Outlined my situation and that others had suffered the same failures within a a short time frame and what was the position re warranty cover and replacements.

He categorically said that they would refund me the full amount that I paid for the replacements and that it was due to the process of warranty being handled by another company that i was required to pay for the replacements up front and a full refund would be authorized in the next few days.
When I asked what the problem was with these shafts failing, he said they noted an unusually high number of similar cases in June last year (2023) and after a further investigation the Rubber boots were found to be faulty, they changed suppliers and with cv boots made from a different rubber composition which has addressed the failures .

They have not had any mechanical failures to date with this shaft other than wear and tear related to the failed faulty boots.

Very helpfull guy indeedy and kinda put my mind as ease now.

So I'm happy to carry on using them.

@Pie-eyedpiper , I'd just get your old ones back to apec asap and you will get a full refund the same as in my case.

Allmost forgot , the Apecs come with the stretch hub bolt. :yes:

If fitting them yourself, a very straight forward process and more so if you use the right method.
You need a decent torque wrench and very strong long breaker bar or a steel extension tube to extend the handle lenght as the hub bolts can be really tight.

on refitting they need 200nm plus 180% hence the long breaker bar.

do 200nm first then the 180% with the breaker bar .

30 mins a side, if you need any info on removal let me know as i've done it so many times on the old bus i have it down to a fine art..lol

If fitting them yourself, a very straight forward process and more so if you use the right method.
You need a decent torque wrench and very strong long breaker bar or a steel extension tube to extend the handle lenght as the hub bolts can be really tight.

on refitting they need 200nm plus 180% hence the long breaker bar.

do 200nm first then the 180% with the breaker bar .

30 mins a side, if you need any info on removal let me know as i've done it so many times on the old bus i have it down to a fine art..lol
Thanks Rob, I am going to tackle it myself. Having just done the subframe, wishbones, shock, springs and track rod ends on my A2, I'm feeling up for it.
Just sorting out a high torque wrench now, and watched a lot of YouTube videos on it.

I might still need further advice however.

Reactions: northpole and Gmac