3.0tdi engine oil what doo you use?

Adrian1871

Reaction score
after test driving 3 cars audi 3.0 tdi different dealers im wondering what engine oil people are using as the 3 in the midlands are i drove had soot on manifolds, when started didn't sound very healthy from outside rattled and was just niosey!
i ended up getting a 3.0tdi from glasgow 400 miles away car has the ultimate spec car was owned by a skoda dealership the owner of the dealership owned the car so wasn't a trade in ect, on collection the car was so so quiet on tick over compared too all the rest i could just here the injector tick noise very impressed might be due too the paperwork ect for warranty work stacks!!! oil on service records is showing shell helix ultra 0w/20 !!! then the penny dropped we use 0w/30 5w/30 i think they have used the perfect oil for this engine as being v6 taking a while too warm up ect short journeys this oil is in my opinion what we should be using if anyone knows any different im here for advice?

I am pretty sure that the correct oil spec for all C8s is vw 508.00/509.00 and this equates to 0w20 so the dealer has been using the correct spec oil for the car.

Reactions: Adrian1871
When the engine is stone cold and car not been used for few days is normal to hear something. All working on max just to try and warm up the cat. This is all fault of the new EU eco rules. I doubt that oil grade will change anything here. These engines always been little louder at start. As long as you don’t hear chain rattling its all normal.