OEM Rear coil spring height

clarke2744

Reaction score
Good evening all,

I’ve replaced a broken rear coil spring on my 2015 RS3, with an ‘OE replacement’ from Eibach through AutoDoc. The new spring is 281mm, comparing to the broken old one piecing the broken halves together it looks closer to 275mm or so. I can’t decide if the car now looks higher on the ‘new’ side compared to the old, and if this would be expected with a new spring until it settles in, if that’s a thing?

Easy way to answer is does anyone know the OEM stock spring size? I’m failing to find anything other than lowering springs when I search online.

Many thanks,

Ben

That's the main reason you replace things like that in pairs unless you are sure the other one is new/nearly new.

If one has broken on a 2015 car then I would bet the other is nearly 10 years old and likely weakened. Yes there will be some settling but the car will likely not be level until the other one is replaced.

Reactions: 8YARWY
Yup always replace in pairs anything suspension related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: flybynite
Agreed - I’ve got a second to do the other side for that reason. Just wanted to check if anyone knew what the stock sizes were before I fitted the second, incase I return them back to AutoDoc.
That's the main reason you replace things like that in pairs unless you are sure the other one is new/nearly new.

If one has broken on a 2015 car then I would bet the other is nearly 10 years old and likely weakened. Yes there will be some settling but the car will likely not be level until the other one is replaced.

Can't see any sizes listed in ErWin or ETKA but it is academic if you have the right part. You have to be careful buying aftermarket from Autodoc etc as you will get a part that fits but may not be the exact one. You have to cross check not just the Audi part number but check the manufacturer (Eibach etc) lists their part number for your car.

I would still buy in pairs as any aftermarket will be generic from the likes of Eibach. OEM are generally made by the likes of Sachs or Boge

Check the ride height from wheel centre to underside of the arch on level ground. They should all be about the same with the rears maybe up to 10mm lower. (which is why many, including me, use TT spring pads to raise the rear a touch on many VAG cars)

That should give you a baseline

I buy lots of stuff from Autodoc but if I were buying a pair of springs for the RS3 it would be from dealer or TPS with the correct part for the chassis number. Quite a few factory options for these cars. If I was buying a full set for lowering etc then maybe different.

Can't see any sizes listed in ErWin or ETKA but it is academic if you have the right part. You have to be careful buying aftermarket from Autodoc etc as you will get a part that fits but may not be the exact one. You have to cross check not just the Audi part number but check the manufacturer (Eibach etc) lists their part number for your car.

I would still buy in pairs as any aftermarket will be generic from the likes of Eibach. OEM are generally made by the likes of Sachs or Boge

Check the ride height from wheel centre to underside of the arch on level ground. They should all be about the same with the rears maybe up to 10mm lower. (which is why many, including me, use TT spring pads to raise the rear a touch on many VAG cars)

That should give you a baseline

I buy lots of stuff from Autodoc but if I were buying a pair of springs for the RS3 it would be from dealer or TPS with the correct part for the chassis number. Quite a few factory options for these cars. If I was buying a full set for lowering etc then maybe different.
Thanks, sorry for the tardy response. All fitted, I think it’s about 8mm higher than before (appreciate it may settle some more). What I also am unsure about is if it’s slightly softer on the rear now. Out of interest you say you’ve used the TT pads to raise the ‘lowered’ rear - I assume this is after you’ve lowered the car all round? (Next step if I decide the handling is out, is lowering the rear 10mm or so, but with those pads)

Thanks, sorry for the tardy response. All fitted, I think it’s about 8mm higher than before (appreciate it may settle some more). What I also am unsure about is if it’s slightly softer on the rear now. Out of interest you say you’ve used the TT pads to raise the ‘lowered’ rear - I assume this is after you’ve lowered the car all round? (Next step if I decide the handling is out, is lowering the rear 10mm or so, but with those pads)

Haven't lowered a car for ages, happy with the ride height, the RS3 is already lowered enough IMHO. It is just some VAG cars come from the factory with the rear at the lower limit of tolerance and the front at the upper limit, quite annoying but you do also get the tendency when lowering the car also, hence the common use of the thicker TT pads.

8mm is nothing, it will settle most of that and the rest was probably your old knackered springs. Sounds OK to me.

Before you criticise the handling too much I would check the front joints and suspension. iron block is notoriously hard on the front. If it has not been refreshed already it will likely need attention.

Front could do with some bushes at some point I agree, but could this ‘new’ softness be due to it now requiring mag ride recalibration if it’s very slightly higher?

but could this ‘new’ softness be due to it now requiring mag ride recalibration if it’s very slightly higher?

More likely that is how it is meant to be and not the crashy ride you get when the car is lower than it should be either through age or lowering. You can see if it needs reprogramming with VCDS and see the error but you need VAS or ODIS to reset the height.

Only other thing is that it may be the 'Eibach' springs might be for generic A3 car, but if it was the back would be more like 15mm high. Again I would check the Eibach part number on Eibach web site or contact them direct.

Mag ride calibration requires Odis I’m afraid.
Done loads over the years with @DJAlix
Owners always agree it makes a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: clarke2744
Thanks very much both - See how we get on over the next few weeks. Appreciate the help so far