Tyres 19” wheels

SimonS38Y

Reaction score
IMG 6930
Just bought lovely S3. Love it, great condition, only 15,000 miles. But there isn’t that much tread on the Bridgestone Potenzas. Wondering what to replace them with. Do I need ao tyres? Like the rim protectors and would ideally like them again. But have had Michelin PS4s before, do people think they are better than the Potenzas, or even PS5s. Or is there something better. Would quite like them to last longer next time. Handling important, also comfort and noise levels. Any advise and experience appreciated.

I had those Bridgestones on an S3 that l had briefly from Sept-Dec, l note on the one that l’ve got now that they’re Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports! Might be worth giving them a try as l had Michelin PS4s on a Focus ST and found them a tad soft!‍♂️

I had those Bridgestones on an S3 that l had briefly from Sept-Dec, l note on the one that l’ve got now that they’re Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports! Might be worth giving them a try as l had Michelin PS4s on a Focus ST and found them a tad soft!‍♂️
Thank you, hadn’t thought about Eagles. Will check them out.

having had PS4S's on my 8V previously, and loved them, my new 8Y just over 1 yr old had the Goodyear F1 supersports, have found them the equal in all respects compared to the PS4S's so much so when I need to replace them in about 12 months, unless the new PS S5 is proven better, I will likely go the Goodyears again, the rim protection on them is fantastic.

Reactions: Jon_M and SimonS38Y
I can highly recommend Goodyear Assymetric 6, brilliant tyres, excellent on wet roads, 8 months od rain on average in UK, very quiet also. One of the best tyres I've had in recent years. Have these on my current M140i and will be putting them on my new S3 when I get it........

Whatever you do, don't replace those Bridgestones with more Bridgestones - they're awful Michelin PS5, Michelin PS4S, or Goodyear Eagle Supersports are the way to go.

The Bridgestones might not be as worn as you think for the mileage - the versions supplied with the cars only come with a starting 5.9mm tread.

Whatever you do, don't replace those Bridgestones with more Bridgestones - they're awful Michelin PS5, Michelin PS4S, or Goodyear Eagle Supersports are the way to go.

The Bridgestones might not be as worn as you think for the mileage - the versions supplied with the cars only come with a starting 5.9mm tread.
Interesting, I thought they seemed worn for 15k miles. Thanks for the advise. Leaning towards the eagles I think.

Do you think the supersports are better than the asymmetric 6 thought they sounded the best so far on reviews?

Do you think the supersports are better than the asymmetric 6 thought they sounded the best so far on reviews?
I've had supersports on an A4 and they were great. I have no experience with the Asy6, but perhaps like Michelin, they are natural successor e.g. michelins had PS4 and the higher performance variant PS4S, but the PS5 is seen as a successor to both the PS4 and the PS4S. The Goodyear F1 Supersports were around when the Eagle Asy 5s were out.

Generally, Michelins seem to last a little longer than Goodyears, so I would go for them unless there's a difference in price, but performance wise, they'reas good as each other.

I usually use Costco for tyres - they're careful with your alloys and cycle between Goodyear,Michelin and Bridgestone for additional savings e.g. £100 off 4 x 19" tyres in addition to their already decent prices. With the additional savings they're usually significantly cheaper than the likes of black circles.

Reactions: SimonS38Y
I've had supersports on an A4 and they were great. I have no experience with the Asy6, but perhaps like Michelin, they are natural successor e.g. michelins had PS4 and the higher performance variant PS4S, but the PS5 is seen as a successor to both the PS4 and the PS4S. The Goodyear F1 Supersports were around when the Eagle Asy 5s were out.

Generally, Michelins seem to last a little longer than Goodyears, so I would go for them unless there's a difference in price, but performance wise, they'reas good as each other.

I usually use Costco for tyres - they're careful with your alloys and cycle between Goodyear,Michelin and Bridgestone for additional savings e.g. £100 off 4 x 19" tyres in addition to their already decent prices. With the additional savings they're usually significantly cheaper than the likes of black circles.
That is for your input, will definitely get Michelins or Good Year. Guess can’t go too wrong with any of those. Will probably go on whatever is cheapest.

Goodyear F1 on both our RS3 and TT and both on 19-inch Audi Rotors - cannot fault!
And yes, have had other rubber on both...

Goodyear F1 on both our RS3 and TT and both on 19-inch Audi Rotors - cannot fault!
And yes, have had other rubber on both...
Great feedback thank you, are they the asymmetric ones or the supersports?

Goodyear F1 supersports about £130 a corner at Costco right now, but current offers are on Michelins. When the offers rotate to Goodyear, there'll be £100 or £120 off a set of 4, making them about £100/105 per corner plus about £8.60 valve and balance each.

Haven’t done anything about the tyres yet. Checked the pressure on the Bridgestones and they were 30 at the front and 28 at the back. This is way below what they should be: 41 and 37. Quite surprising as I bought the car from an Audi dealership. However the upshot is it handles so much better, flatter and more like a hot hatch. But on the Bridgestones the ride is much harsher. I don’t really mind, but it could be a bit more forgiving. Based on experience does anyone know if the mps4s or the eagle f1 asymmetric 6 is better for ride quality on an s3 without adjustable dampers?

Finally made a decision, managed to get Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for the same price as the Eagle F1s, being fitted on Saturday. Hope they are good.

Reactions: Tzsteve
Pilot Sport 4S,s fitted and immediately the car feels so much better. Still firm but not crash. Only done 100 or so miles but very happy with the decision. Seems to handle similarly, although not pushed too hard yet.

It astounds me why VAG fit such crap tyres at the factory - I must assume they get those Bridgestones far cheaper than Goodyear/Michelin alternatives when buying in bulk. I still haven't got rid of my Bridgestones yet, but I know the car will feel so much better when I do.

Not VAG only, at least Benz also uses much Bridgestones. It seems some tyre manufacturers make very big deals with car companies. Few years ago every European car seemed to have Pirellis. Earlier all Volkswagens came with Hankooks. Those were actually good tyres. I didn't particularly like the Pirellis under my previous car but at least they were precise on dry. Bridgestones... Well, I drove 1000 km with those and then swapped to Goodyear.

It astounds me why VAG fit such crap tyres at the factory - I must assume they get those Bridgestones far cheaper than Goodyear/Michelin alternatives when buying in bulk. I still haven't got rid of my Bridgestones yet, but I know the car will feel so much better when I do.
Definitely. I changed them early because of impending MOT and a bulge in the sidewall of one tyre. Also I think the previous owner ran the Bridgestones at low pressure to make the car more comfortable so they had worn more at the sides than the centre. But recommend Michelins (or F1s) when you change.

Not VAG only, at least Benz also uses much Bridgestones. It seems some tyre manufacturers make very big deals with car companies. Few years ago every European car seemed to have Pirellis. Earlier all Volkswagens came with Hankooks. Those were actually good tyres. I didn't particularly like the Pirellis under my previous car but at least they were precise on dry. Bridgestones... Well, I drove 1000 km with those and then swapped to Goodyear.
I've had Bridgestones for years on new VAGs. The first was a 2007 Golf GT Sport TDI 170, next was a 2013 Golf GTD, a 2015 Golf R, a 2018 and 2019 Polo GTI+ came on them, as did 2 x 2021 ID3s. Then my 2023 S3. Had a few Sciroccos in between on Pirelli P7s and an A4 on Goodyears.