Fuel Cap not locking

Ads_Essex

MY17 S1 Comp | Stage 1 | JR5 17x7.5J |
Reaction score
I didnt see any threads on this, just two on the A1 side but they didnt really give me the answer I was looking for..

Hi can anyone help me with the problem of why my fuel cap on my Audi A1 11 plate it just stop locking last week,I've checked the Fuses,the mechanism looks fine just won't stay locked help please thanks

The fuel cap on my S1 doesnt seem to lock.

Is there a timeout for it, meaning it'll still be unlocked for a short period after locking?

I ran an autoscan but didnt see any errors reported with it.

Cheers

It should lock immediately, just leave flap open, lock the car, see if the mechanism works, if not then it's goosed & needs a new unit, without checking it could be same as the A3, A6 etc units where the water ingress kills the solenoid, if so then new one needed & possibly surrounding trim, that's my 1st input anyway.

Pic of your flap lock will help me to see if it's the same type.

Reactions: Ads_Essex
It should lock immediately, just leave flap open, lock the car, see if the mechanism works, if not then it's goosed & needs a new unit, without checking it could be same as the A3, A6 etc units where the water ingress kills the solenoid, if so then new one needed & possibly surrounding trim, that's my 1st input anyway.

Pic of your flap lock will help me to see if it's the same type.
Thanks man. Yep, with it open (and with the rod pushed in as if it was closed) it doesn’t turn on locking and unlocking. Before I unlocked the car I tried it, and hours after it was last locked it was still open.

Here are photos -

IMG 5650
IMG 5649

Cheers

Last edited:
If the solenoid has failed (very common it seems), the workshop manual suggests it's destructive and you have to replace the whole plastic mount which is very annoying.

If the solenoid has failed (very common it seems), the workshop manual suggests it's destructive and you have to replace the whole plastic mount which is very annoying.
Ah I feared that. Didn't realise it was common. Cheers mate, I will get on to the dealer for a replacement.

Ah I feared that. Didn't realise it was common. Cheers mate, I will get on to the dealer for a replacement.
Yeah it's a bit of a stupid setup, I've not looked to see if it can be done without the destruction but here's the start of the process - you can see the markings where you jam the screwdriver on your photos, definitely destroys it:

The trim doesn't get destroyed, but it does leave 2 small holes, the process is to replace both unfortunately, done it for various cars that share that solenoid lock, they all suffer the same fate, water ingress which rusts things solid.

Reactions: Ads_Essex
The trim doesn't get destroyed, but it does leave 2 small holes, the process is to replace both unfortunately, done it for various cars that share that solenoid lock, they all suffer the same fate, water ingress which rusts things solid.
There are 4 clips on the A1/S1 that have to be released and as you can see above, Audi's own workshop manual states replacement is required. How do you do it to leave only 2 small holes? - asking for when these go NLS

Tbh once you've got 2 then sometimes you can manipulate the other 2 to not be broken so to speak, but each to there own methods lol.

Audi's manuals are not really that economical or necessarily the best way, so I read but don't always follow.

There are 4 clips on the A1/S1 that have to be released and as you can see above, Audi's own workshop manual states replacement is required. How do you do it to leave only 2 small holes? - asking for when these go NLS
So no magic then :) I think if mine fails I'll remove the solenoid, not like mine gets left anywhere for very long anyway.