Exhaust Leak

JakeUK

Reaction score
Hi all,

I noticed my car had gotten really "boomy" recently. I have a res delete but left the valves on automatic (not coded open). Prior to the boomyness, I loved the sound and would alternate between coded open and coded normal.

All of a sudden the note became just dull and boom and it happens a lot around 1-4k revs and is fairly intrusive. I checked under the car today at cold start and could see water dripping out at the join of the res delete pipe. Got my hand under and managed to rev the car and could physically feel the air hitting me. Probably a rather decent sized leak. So I know I need to tackle that and will do it asap but I have no time this weekend and a 5 hour drive on Tuesday next week! So, I tried to code the valves CLOSED today using OBDeleven but it does not seem to be working. I am spending 10 credits as a time and getting SUCCESS but each time I check, there is activity on all 4 pipes.

My thoughts are that at start up, regardless of drive mode, all 4 valves are OPEN. I need them to be CLOSED before I code it closed right? It is likely just sending a code script that means the car cannot open or close them anymore but if they were all open in the last state, they will be stuck open right? So is this possible? If so does anyone know the correct procedure? The valves are all good as I did open them all a few months back and they definitely ran open all the time. I need the opposite now to give me some respite on this upcoming drive to London!

Many thanks in advance

Just in case anyone stumbles across this thread, it doesn't appear as though you can use OBDEleven to close the valves, it's essentially just allowing them to be turned on or off. If you turn them OFF, then they will no longer be able to actuate and the last mode they will always have been on will been OPEN (due to how these cars idle).

Also, found the leak and tackled it, I think... we will see how 12 hours of driving does on it!