Reverse camera not the correct aspect ratio

dmcd808

Reaction score
Hi, just received my Audi A3 Sportback.

The reverse camera is squashed and not the correct aspect ratio, pics below along with my software versions.

I saw a similar thread on this and wondered if there is definitely a fix for this?

Thanks
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_2719.jpg
    IMG_2719.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_2720.jpg
    IMG_2720.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2715.jpg
    IMG_2715.jpg
    842.1 KB · Views: 116
It's because of the fisheye-like lens, the pic looks normal.

I had a Golf Mk7.5 before, it had the camera behind the VW logo which tilted out when the camera was activated. Therefore the aim angle was better and the lens could be less wide and still show a good view. That was indeed better, I feel the Audi camera isn't too useful.

Yes, maybe it’s normal, but my old Mazda 3 camera angle was better than this, so not great attention to detail from Audi here.

Same thing with my 2024 RS3 and it's awful. The reverse camera in my Golf R Mk7.5 looks a lot better!

I am starting to think it’s a software bug but I suppose it makes sense if the camera is fish eyed like the other guy said.

I have the same problem on my new RS3 and this is not correct. Looks like the frame and line timebase wiring has got crossed from the camera and is not anything to do with the camera being fisheye which I don’t believe is true as there would be some vignetting on the corners . The problem doesn’t seem to be in the screen as it is correct when being used by other sources (i.e. navigation, radio etc.).

As other people are having the same problem then is is most likely a design problem in the initial wiring design and needs to be corrected by Audi then rolled out to all owners.

This really does need to be rectified as is makes the reversing camera quite useless as it becomes a distraction and not an aid

I agree, I don't know why other models such as Q5 is normal and the A3 are different?

I suppose the best thing to do is go the dealer and look at other A3's cameras and see if it is just ours or all A3's?

I have the same problem on my new RS3 and this is not correct. Looks like the frame and line timebase wiring has got crossed from the camera and is not anything to do with the camera being fisheye which I don’t believe is true as there would be some vignetting on the corners .
I think the software is compensating the lens distortion and as the view is wide, the image shows horizontally squished.

Had a Q4 for a day last week, it looked the same. I also think the resolution of the camera is ridiculously bad compared to about any other ones out there in new cars. Some other Audi models have been better.

Yes, I drove a 23 Mazda 3 and the camera was a lot sharper than my a3 model.

Looks like they have used a 720p camera to save money and all other new cars use a 1008p but just speculating.

We had an Audi demo tour last weekend, I took a test drive of the higher end models available there. Drove A6 Avant, A7 and E-Tron GT RS and noticed the cameras weren't actually much better in those models. The GT had a 360 camera but in those muddy conditions it was totally useless, all you saw was grey blur.