Steering wheel

CallumHoward

Reaction score
Hello I’m new the a4(2019) I’m coming from an A3(2017) where I had a custom steering wheel, is it possible to swap these over, would it fit?

I also need to swap the buttons as the a4 has a virtual cockpit. Could this be done?

There is no space inside the wheel to swap the buttons over, meaning you'll have to get a steeringwheel that has the same connector for the airbag and buttons that is on your audi a4 already. Plus don't forget the steeringwheel module needs to be able to support the buttons(rhe one on the a4 already does) so it's just a case of finding a steeringwheel with matching internals.

I put up a link to an online parts database in the topic called parts request... I think it's the last entry in that topic. I suggest you look up what model steeringwheel and part number it is before you end up getting the wrong one.

There is no space inside the wheel to swap the buttons over, meaning you'll have to get a steeringwheel that has the same connector for the airbag and buttons that is on your audi a4 already. Plus don't forget the steeringwheel module needs to be able to support the buttons(rhe one on the a4 already does) so it's just a case of finding a steeringwheel with matching internals.

I put up a link to an online parts database in the topic called parts request... I think it's the last entry in that topic. I suggest you look up what model steeringwheel and part number it is before you end up getting the wrong one.
Sorry I don’t understand so if I was to swap the buttons from the a4 wheel to the a3 they wouldn’t work because the a4 airbag connector is different to the a3?

the connector is on the slip ring, all the cables connect to that one connector... so abs, multi function buttons, and (if you have them) flappy pedals... those all connect through that one connector on the slipring... the slipring isn't always completely populated with pins... this depends on the part number of the steering module.

that all said, remove the airbag on the A3 first now look for space to add those buttons... yeah wait there is none as the lot completely filled up and there is no part you can pop out to add the buttons. you'll need a different steeringwheel that carries another part number, plus keep in mind the connector to the slipring needs to be the same one thing with these audi's if you look at the colour of the connector that goes to the airbag of your a3 and your a4 you'll notice if they are the exact same colour sheme or not (it's how you know if you got the right one immediately)

and if you still don't get it: go to ebay and look at the respective models steeringwheels with the airbags... and the cables that connect to the slipring. you'l soon see what i am on about.