Facelift Nextbase GW 522 Fuse

J0N

Reaction score
2019 S3, Stop/Start and Keyless.

My dash cam seems to have a mind of its own, sometimes it works and sometimes it randomly switches off and I’m wondering if it’s down to the fuse I’m using to piggyback the hardwire kit.
I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that F40 for the 12v sockets is no use because of the stop/start feature although I disabled mine with VCDS.
All the other fuses have permanent power, is this because the car is keyless and if so, how long does the power remain once the car is locked?
I was going to try the fuse for heated seats but I don’t want to end up with a power drain.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends if you're going to use parking mode, if so then permanent is the only way, ideally find a new fuse point to utilise, piggybacking isn't how I usually install cams, tbh the nextbase old series are bit flaky anyway.

Reactions: J0N
I’ve had the dashcam for a few years, this will be the 3rd car it’s been in and apart from the app being poor it’s been pretty good.
Surely the fuse for heated seats is switched and will eventually power down when the car has been locked for a period of time?

[mention]NHN [/mention] I connected the dashcam to the rear screen heater fuse and I thought all was well but I’m getting the same issue, I’ll re check the earth tomorrow but I really don’t think it’s that?
In your experience and bearing in mind that you said older Nextbase units are a bit flaky, if the battery is goosed would this stop the unit from reliably powering up even though it’s hardwired?

I've just fitted a Nextbase to my car. I piggybacked of the rear wiper supply as it's a non critical circuit. I had great fun trying to get it to work with ignition on, but found the issue was that the Nextbase circuitry which prevents it draining the battery decided the lowish voltage of my original battery is such that it needed protecting. Start the engine, and the battery voltage will allow the camera to work. The car seems quite happy with the battery though. Starts on the button and start/stop works fine.
It was only after plenty of internet searching I found these cameras need a permanent supply to operate parking mode. As ever these days the lack of information with the equipment is a real nuisance.

I tried to charge mine in the house for the recommended three hours after which you’re supposed to switch the camera on and time how long the battery takes to fully deplete, mine didn’t charge at all. After waiting for days between emails from Nextbase’s p!ss poor customer support I’ve eventually been sent details on the battery replacement service (£35). I sent in a ‘ticket’ for this yesterday so we’ll wait and see what their response is?

I tried to charge mine in the house for the recommended three hours after which you’re supposed to switch the camera on and time how long the battery takes to fully deplete, mine didn’t charge at all. After waiting for days between emails from Nextbase’s p!ss poor customer support I’ve eventually been sent details on the battery replacement service (£35). I sent in a ‘ticket’ for this yesterday so we’ll wait and see what their response is?

Ah, yes, I can believe it. I actually bought two of them as I was kitting out two cars. Charged them both as required and found the battery on one was hopeless. It ran for under two minutes after charging before going flat. (Mind you the other one isn't much better!) It also wouldn't fully switch off. I didn't bother with Nextbase and suggest you don't either. You don't have to deal with them. Just do a Google search for 'UK Consumer rights for faulty goods'. Your consumer rights mean your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer and the retailer is responsible. I returned mine to the retailer stating the problem and requesting a refund. I bought a replacement elsewhere. I stayed with Nextbase after the problems as I liked their specification and I had fitted all the wiring.

I got mine for Christmas in 2019, this is the third car it’s been in so it hasn’t done too bad. They say a fully functioning battery only lasts 8 - 10 minutes when not receiving power from the car, mine won’t even charge. Batteries are around £10 but it involves soldering, send it to them and it’s £35 with 6 months warranty, I can take that. I’ve always been happy with the 522GW in itself if you take the card out and put it in a computer. The iOS and desktop apps are utter gash, as it seems their customer support….

Ah, ok, I'd assumed it was relatively new. I'd guess there's every chance that a seriously degraded battery is upsetting the electronics and causing causing the problems. I've just looked at video from my camera to see how it looked and like you I just plugged the card into my desktop. Worked fine and I've not bothered with the apps.