Buying a B7 Audi brand new

B7Tourer

Reaction score
Hi fellow B7ers! I thought I'd regale you with some history since I recently acquired the contemporary catalogue to my car; most likely the very catalogue that the original owner would have looked at and priced up in May 2006, from Wakefield Audi, Yorkshire. The catalogue is dated 6/6/2006 but the prices were still then current, changing in July. My car is a more or less standard 140PS 2.0TDI S-line Avant 6 speed manual, with the only extras being GSM phone prep in the armrest, Black pearlescent paint and Symphony II 6 CD/FM/AM/Cassette; standard black Stratos cloth interior. Until August of 2006 Audi threw in the 8J x 18 5 spoke alloy wheels, we now know as 'Ronal' free; otherwise they were £1550 extra (7J x17 ' 5 parallel twin spoke standard outside of this offer); presumably in lieu of discount, though I can't be sure since I reckon my car was undoubtedly a 'company' vehicle and the long life service for the first 90K of it's life + cloth seats (I think a private buyer would have still plumped for Volterra leather even at £1250 extra - Valcona at £1650 might have been pushing it) would support that. So I've arrived at (all prices inclusive of VAT) :

Base price 2.0TDI 140 Avant OTR (number plates, delivery charge and half a tank of gas included) : £23, 205
S-Line option: £750 (the S-Line SE was quoted as a complete price but the standard S-Line had an option price, from the base model)
GSM mobile phone prep in the armrest: £540
Universal cradle: £100
Symphony II radio: £265
Black pearlescent paint: £550

Total: £25,410.

According to the Bank Of England inflation calculator that would now be around £41,798, which is not bad considering the quality of new cars these days, I reckon.

There are some anomalies in the catalogue, for instance, in order to have the GSM armrest prep, both multi-function steering wheel (standard on the S-Line) and DIS (not standard) was necessary. My car like all standard S-lines has no trip computer nor button on the end of the stalk but it does have Autocheck, service interval and door checks, including bonnet/hatch, which were apparently classed as part of 'DIS'. I wonder if all S-lines without GSM have that too, I imagine so. Neither am I sure if you had also to pay for the armrest extra (£140).

Anyway I hope some of you may find this boring nerdy stuff, born out of an idle moment, of interest. Missed the Symphony radio and BOE inflation error so edited. :)

AudicatB7

Last edited:
Reactions: swisstony, boffin486, Rob Avant and 3 others
I read the 2006 sales catalog and price list a while back too.
Based on my old bus spec and options fitted it was £32k on the road, which i took with a pinch of salt.
Then one day i came across the original purchase details for the car, it was indeed that figure give or take a few ££s.

Likewise, i noticed many options were available but had to be specified as part of another option so at the end of the day the car was basically just one big options list..lol

Reactions: B7Tourer
Hi chaps, My 2006 Avant has a factory fitted sunroof that is also a solar panel. Is that shown with a price option in the catalogue?

Reactions: B7Tourer and Charlie Farley
Likewise, i noticed many options were available but had to be specified as part of another option so at the end of the day the car was basically just one big options list..lol
Yes they were a bit mean even compared to their fellows VW Rob! I think yours was purchased by a more discerning private buyer :)

Hi chaps, My 2006 Avant has a factory fitted sunroof that is also a solar panel. Is that shown with a price option in the catalogue?
Hi Boffin, that would be £1,175, VAT included. It proudly adds: 'Uses the sun's energy to supply a constant flow of air, reducing the temperature inside the vehicle when parked'.

Reactions: ttelracs and boffin486
A worthwhile extra, pretty much does what it says on the tin! I use it all the time - Shame about the trip computer though........... :grumpy:

Last edited:
I was amazed at the vast array of options the B7 has, some well known other less so, and some are just bonkers price wise too.

Reactions: B7Tourer
My B7 S Line saloon came with a fair few general bits, but also :

QE1 - Storage package - what's this?
QQ1 - Interior light package...seems to light up all 4 footwells
PU9 - Auto dimming rear view mirror....a godsend these days!

Auto dimming mirrors - Great invention! Not got that on my Audi but do on my Merc. :smile:

I just wonder if my amazing storage package is the polystyrene compartment for my factory removeable towbar! hahahah

I just wonder if my amazing storage package is the polystyrene compartment for my factory removeable towbar! hahahah
Have you got the draws that pull out underneath the front seats? That could possible be the storage pack

Have you got the draws that pull out underneath the front seats? That could possible be the storage pack
Two new discoveries under the front seats...thank you!
Not drawers though, more like small glove boxes or giant sunglasses holders hahaha
Never knew I had those in the 6 months I've owned the car :yes: :yes:

Reactions: B7Tourer, Charlie Farley and boffin486
Took me a couple of months before I found those too!

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Matt275
Shame about the trip computer though........... :grumpy:
Yer a real man Boffin! Real men don't need namby pamby add ons like cruise control or trip computers - no siree we just drive our stripped back S-lines like the devil:racer: I really hanker for the trip computer (mainly for the bulb out + actual bulb warning - always catches me and I'll drive around with one out -like an embarrassing number plate light - until I run OBDEleven) , I'll get around to retrofitting it one day.

QE1 - Storage package - what's this?
QQ1 - Interior light package...seems to light up all 4 footwells
PU9 - Auto dimming rear view mirror....a godsend these days!
£85, £155 and £200 respectively Matt. Storage pack: front under seat storage trays, Rear cup holders x2 in armrest and lockable glove compartment (don't we all have this last one?). Interior light package: Entry/exit door lights; Make up mirrors (again?) and background lighting for centre console (what's that too? isn't that standard also?)

Last edited:
Reactions: boffin486
I suppose at the time, the most popular/ desirable options would be in rough order of preference: Diesel because of Gordon Brown, S-line option, GSM phone prep, Leather seats, Bose audio upgrade; Sunroof; fully electric and/or heated seats. Most of these are still desirable (except the diesel) in a second hand car, except for the largely obsolete GSM and the very desirable then and absolutely the most expensive option of all, DVD RNS-E Sat Nav + (£1,975 + £325 for voice control. I know some people still like this but it is totally antiquated, as are CDs and cassettes on my old Symphony) and the very best and most worthwhile upgrade I ever did was wireless Android Auto Sat Nav with full steering wheel control including voice; all for a fraction of that price and far beyond the capabilities - good leather never ages though.

At the time these models were new, I was living in Spain and bought 2 brand new Renaults in succession, 2004-7, both were fitted with Parrot and Tom Tom sat nav - the first time I'd used both; just as good (in function not in sound) as RNS-e/GSM prep and for a fraction of the option price too. I remember nearly buying a contemporary Passat estate - I wasn't really familiar with Audi then - it was around 30,000 euros, if I recall and it was fully loaded far in excess of what I have now, but no where near as pretty :) Funnily both the 2007 Renault is still newer than what I have now too, oh well...

Yer a real man Boffin! Real men don't need namby pamby add ons like cruise control or trip computers - no siree we just drive our stripped back S-lines like the devil:racer: I really hanker for the trip computer (mainly for the bulb out + actual bulb warning - always catches me and I'll drive around with one out -like an embarrassing number plate light - until I run OBDEleven) , I'll get around to retrofitting it one day.

£85, £155 and £200 respectively Matt. Storage pack: front under seat storage trays, Rear cup holders x2 in armrest and lockable glove compartment (don't we all have this last one?). Interior light package: Entry/exit door lights; Make up mirrors (again?) and background lighting for centre console (what's that too? isn't that standard also?)
Cheers B7, I think the centre console lighting is a red light that shines down to the ashtray area from the roof liner....Amsterdam red light district appearance hahahha

• Haha
Reactions: Charlie Farley and B7Tourer
IMG 8993

Center console lighting… also know as the brothel interior lighting pack

• Haha
yep, fitted to my sleeze machine too..:whistle2::haha:

• Love
Reactions: Rob Avant
I must say boys, there's always a lot for me to envy in your cars, that I wish I had on mine but that's not one of them sadly ha ha.

IMG 5678

Can’t beat a bit of red lighting :whistle2:

• Haha
Just a follow up and since I love history, no matter how unimportant, I actually contacted the original salesman, who sold my car - his name was on the Handover Checklist that I still have. He was very helpful and even ran a chassis checklist from Audi, for me. He could even remember the Symphony option! He said that GSM phone prep was getting very popular then but leather option was quite unusual and most opted for the cheaper cloth seats (maybe leather seated cars have survived better today?). He was glad to see it still on the road but couldn't help with the 1st buyer's contact (on the checklist too). The Audi printout didn't tell much; it was only serviced by main dealers up to about 60K; it just confirmed the 'Long Life' service regime and matched the service book, which I've since coded to fixed. I think I found a likely candidate in the area for the first buyer but since he only had it for a couple of years or so, I'll leave it there. In the old days you could see the addresses and contacts of previous owners in the 'log' book - I once had a Jag that had been bought new by a doctor, who I eventually talked to on the phone, and that was very interesting but then that was a different car altogether. :)

Reactions: boffin486