Polybush help for rear sway bar

Stu_b7

Reaction score
Hi all just a quick question, has anyone used the polybushes for a rs4 sway bar? As I am doing the swap but the new polybushes for the bar seem quite loose like the don’t grip onto the bar?
They are for the 22mm rs4 b7 bar but they seem big and even with the clamps on I can spin them around quite freely
Is this ok or is something not right here?

To be honest the OE bushes are fine for the rear ARB and a lot cheaper, but as you have purchased poly items then best use them up.
no bush should be loose when fitted , that defeats the object of having them, that said they can be loose until the clamp is fully tightened thus taking up the any free space.

Reactions: Stu_b7
To be honest the OE bushes are fine for the rear ARB and a lot cheaper, but as you have purchased poly items then best use them up.
no bush should be loose when fitted , that defeats the object of having them, that said they can be loose until the clamp is fully tightened thus taking up the any free space.
Ok the OEM ones that came with the rs4 bar are the same code as my old OEM ones of the sline bar and they seem tighter maybe I will have a mock run and tighten the bar in place not attached to the anti roll bar links and see how tight the polybush ones feel after the clamps are properly tightened

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Have you read this article?

Have you read this article?
I have read this yes was very helpful

Found out the problem…… it must be a bar from an S4 as it’s only 20mm thick according to a digital caliper that why the bushes are loose,
Spoke to Wigan parts who I brought it from just waiting to see if I get a reply now

I was going to ask that very question , unless you know a part is correct by its part number sometimes a manual check is required if something is amiss, never rely on the seller to provide accurate info.
I always work on the basis , if in doubt , check it out.

hopefully you have sourced the problem, that said you wont have the correct part now so kinda going backwards to a dergree.

Thats twice you have been sent the wrong part, i think it will be 3rd time lucky now.

So they have got back to me but saying the bar is definitely off a rs4 b7 but why is only reading 20mm?
Feel like I’ve been messed around now

And that’s the measurement after a couple sprays of paint

Attachments

• IMG_6871.jpeg
    IMG_6871.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
Sounds like you’ve had a bit of nightmare with this, I feel your pain. Although mine is seat related.

20mm is definitely the S4 sway bar. I’d get back to the seller and show them the above photo. For reference:

SE bar = 16mm
S Line bar = 18mm
S4 bar = 20mm
RS4 bar = 22mm
H R bar = 24mm
Eibach bar = 24mm
034 bar = 25.4mm

Was it from the seller directly or through eBay?

So they have got back to me but saying the bar is definitely off a rs4 b7 but why is only reading 20mm?
Feel like I’ve been messed around now
Send them that pic and rs4 factory spec data for the rs4 ARB and then advise them that they have mis-sold the item and the description is not correct.
A clear cut case frankly.

Reactions: Rob Avant
Its been repainted in the past too so no chance of a p/n either.
Anyone can say it's off an RS4 , that doesnt mean it was or that it was the correct part to start with.
You have the size, which is an S4 20mm ARB diameter item in a pic, that is proof enough that it is not the correct part as they described or advertised.

Sounds like you’ve had a bit of nightmare with this, I feel your pain. Although mine is seat related.

20mm is definitely the S4 sway bar. I’d get back to the seller and show them the above photo. For reference:

SE bar = 16mm
S Line bar = 18mm
S4 bar = 20mm
RS4 bar = 22mm
H R bar = 24mm
Eibach bar = 24mm
034 bar = 25.4mm

Was it from the seller directly or through eBay?
It was through eBay Wigan vag parts they break a lot of Audis

Its been repainted in the past too so no chance of a p/n either.
Anyone can say it's off an RS4 , that doesnt mean it was or that it was the correct part to start with.
You have the size, which is an S4 20mm ARB diameter item in a pic, that is proof enough that it is not the correct part as they described or advertised.
Yeah that’s what I’m trying to explain to the seller
He said he is going to show me a picture of the rs4 rear frame it came off but how do I know that’s correct anyway

You wont, thats the problem unless it has a part number on it , and that's not the point, he has clearly stated it is an rs4 item, which it is not, so its is not correct and no use.

The seller is responsible for listing the item correctly as a specific part, not what it might be and what it may have come off.

I'd take the seller to cleaners if it were me on this this.

best of luck chap.

update guys so just spoke to Audi and have been informed that some of the audi RS4 models do have the 20mm sway bar fitted and that’s the reason I have been given this one, so it’s not the eBay sellers fault

I’d be checking the parts database then as when I looked last night only one the 22mm arb is listed.

Not sure why they would offer a thinner dia bar to be honest, but hey it’s Audi so anything is possible .

There was mention of some having a thicker bar depending on suspension options packs with lower tide etc, but thinner, not convinced to be honest.

Yeah I gave them the reg of a Audi rs4 b7 saloon that’s for sale on eBay and that’s the bar and 20mm thickness the Audi parts man said is for that car

8E0511409AJ is the part number for the 20mm bar for that rs4 that I gave him the reg of

looks like you are one of the unlucky ones then with that part, I honestly cant say I've seen any other threads or info with people fitting thinner ones or even being offered for sale.

still, worth making a note for future ref, not that it help you out with the one you have, why not just return it marked part not as expected due to lack of part number.

looks like you are one of the unlucky ones then with that part, I honestly cant say I've seen any other threads or info with people fitting thinner ones or even being offered for sale.

still, worth making a note for future ref, not that it help you out with the one you have, why not just return it marked part not as expected due to lack of part number.
Yeah story of my life I feel I might just put it on now don’t feel like they will swap it over or if they even have any others for sale, it’s still got to be a decent upgrade from my 18mm bar right?

it will be a big improvement , just a shame you have been messed about.

Just quit whilst you're ahead and fit it chap. :thumbs up:

I bet if some owner was looking for a rs4 20mm bar they would be like fairy dust, then all of a sudden one comes out of the wood work.

that said the 20mm bar is standard S4 fitment so not that rare at all when put in context , maybe just a rare fitting on the rs4 platform.

Yeah I will just stick it on then just that tiny niggle in the back of my head saying it could have been better
Cheers for the help if you ever see a 22mm one come about let me know

I have a spare almost new one here but it is earmarked for a project at the moment, but watch this space as it may well be up for sale as i tend to change projects like the weather these days.

I have a spare almost new one here but it is earmarked for a project at the moment, but watch this space as it may well be up for sale as i tend to change projects like the weather these days.
Well if you change you mr mind preferably before the weekend let me know lol

I've been thinking of upgrading my rear bar but being tight fisted and loving ghetto fixes, I was simply going to drill another hole on each side.
This moves the pivot point and has the same effect as using a thicker bar.
The downside is I don't know whether it'll make it act like a 20, 22, 24.???mm bar, I just know it'll work.
I'll also change the mounting brackets and bushes as the additional strain may have one snap and I've experienced that before.

Plenty of posts online about this method and calculations to determine the gain, as I can't be ***** doing the math to work it out.