Looking to buy...

Jon_M

Reaction score
First post!

Currently in a Focus ST, having come from a rather uninspired M135i and a Focus RS before that

Been busy researching the S3 for the last month and there are some questions I wanted to fire at owners before making my decision regarding final spec - eg Black Edition with Tech Pro added OR Vorsprung spec?

There is about £3k difference for the Vorsprung when running the spec through "Drive The Deal" so I guess I want to know if the extra is worth paying for what you get - carbon, damper control, sunroof, 360 camera etc.

Still stuck over colour - missus likes the white and I like the yellow now that the turbo blue is no longer available

Fully aware that a newer model is just round the corner but not too fussed about that tbh... any advice would be most welcome!

Reactions: Sandra
UK packages seem a bit confusing to me, since I was able to pick options individually. Still, I did not pick the sunroof and the carbon on purpose, and I haven't really missed those, to be honest. I did pick the S3 adaptive suspension, however, and it really makes you feel like you have two cars inside one.

Strongly recommend getting whatever package features the 18-inch wheels, as these provide some additional pothole protection and comfort. The car is sporty enough once you put the gearbox in S, or the drive select into dynamic (or both), so you might as well invest some in the ride quality.

As for colors, it's really up to individual preference. I love my turbo blue, but I've seen the white and it suits the car nicely as well. The yellow - I was into that at first, but then I thought it might get old in a few months' time. Screams a bit too much, doesn't it? I'd still own one, but probably not everyone's cup of tea.

Seen some yellow ones. Even though they look nice I think it's not the color that really pops enough to be really vibrant, but rather can become old quite quickly. About a half of all 8Ys here are white so it's far from being personal, but you can't deny how well it suits the car.

Reactions: Jon_M
Been busy researching the S3 for the last month and there are some questions I wanted to fire at owners before making my decision regarding final spec - eg Black Edition with Tech Pro added OR Vorsprung spec?

There is about £3k difference for the Vorsprung when running the spec through "Drive The Deal" so I guess I want to know if the extra is worth paying for what you get - carbon, damper control, sunroof, 360 camera etc.
Hi there.

If you're going Black edition with Tech Pack Pro, then you get the sunroof and 360 cameras. Be aware that previously shortages have resulted in the 360 camera not being included - only a rear reversing camera. Before I bought in September last year , I put together a spreadsheet (using PDFs generated from the configurator) to highlight the differences.

Vorsprung specific items (versus BE+TPP) are:
- Power-operated tailgate
- Audi virtual cockpit Plus (bigger screen)
- Adaptive cruise control (versus non-adaptive. Adaptive can be added for £405 via a unlimited subscription through functions on demand in the app.)
- Head-up display
- Lane change assistant with exit warning system and rear cross traffic alert
- Lane keeping system plus semi-automatic vehicle control in a medical emergency and traffic jam assist
- Adaptive chassis control with continuous operation
- S Suspension with damper control

You've noted the differences re carbon trim, also extends to the door mirror housing. Wheels also differ.
Vorsprung has the round steering wheel (versus the flat bottom in BE) - related to the extra assistance systems on the vorsprung.

As for colour, Not the greatest selection. Having had two blue ones (8P in Sprint and 8V in Estoril) - I decided to have a change and go grey with the red calipers. So I'm biased!

Good luck with the purchase and hope the above helps.

Reactions: Jon_M and Sandra
Just looked at the configurator, surprised to see they've cut back on colour options across the range. No Turbo Blue or Tango Red available anymore. If you don't want black/white/grey or Navarra Blue then Python yellow is the only vibrant colour option available. I think it's a nice colour up close but really needs the black trim to contrast it. Looks a bit meh from a distance though so not sure I could live with it.

With a mid life cycle (modest) face-lift incoming, I wonder if the reduced colour options is just a temporary reduction until the face-lift is on the configurator. Might be worth asking the question to a dealer on that if you fancy some alternative colour choices. That said, I suspect the face lift S3 will have an uplift in price as it gets more power and the RS3 diff as standard I believe.

Strongly recommend getting whatever package features the 18-inch wheels, as these provide some additional pothole protection and comfort. The car is sporty enough once you put the gearbox in S, or the drive select into dynamic (or both), so you might as well invest some in the ride quality.
We get 19-inch wheels in the UK - no option to pick anything else. Two wheel designs to choose from based on trim level.

Black Edition:

Vorsprung:

• Wow
Reactions: vatdim and Jon_M
Just looked at the configurator, surprised to see they've cut back on colour options across the range. No Turbo Blue or Tango Red available anymore. If you don't want black/white/grey or Navarra Blue then Python yellow is the only vibrant colour option available. I think it's a nice colour up close but really needs the black trim to contrast it. Looks a bit meh from a distance though so not sure I could live with it.

With a mid life cycle (modest) face-lift incoming, I wonder if the reduced colour options is just a temporary reduction until the face-lift is on the configurator. Might be worth asking the question to a dealer on that if you fancy some alternative colour choices. That said, I suspect the face lift S3 will have an uplift in price as it gets more power and the RS3 diff as standard I believe.
Going to take a trip tothe local dealers in the next day to see the colours in the flesh, also considering the grey (one colour I have never owned) but best to see them in person I guess.

Have to say for the additional tech I am being swayed towards the Vorsprung but it depends on what deal I can secure, I had a similar spec to the Vorsprung on my M135i (albeit poorly delivered by BMW) but I have always been keen to scratch that itch thats Audi so if it can be done then I'll make it happen.

I had an interesting exchange with a dealer via Carwow who said they had access to brand new stock cars that matched my enquiry but then said that if I wanted the "extended warranty" then the car would have to be a factory order - not quite sure I understand the logic there...

I had an interesting exchange with a dealer via Carwow who said they had access to brand new stock cars that matched my enquiry but then said that if I wanted the "extended warranty" then the car would have to be a factory order - not quite sure I understand the logic there...
That sounds familiar.

I originally looked at a stock car at the dealer, but also wanted the 5 year warranty. Got told the same - must be added at time of order.
But I'm pretty sure I was told they could add the additional warranty to the car I was looking at.

Might be worth getting them to check (again?) if you are thinking of taking a stock car.

Going to take a trip tothe local dealers in the next day to see the colours in the flesh, also considering the grey (one colour I have never owned) but best to see them in person I guess.
Assuming the grey option is still Daytona Grey, it’s worth noting that it’s a (subtle) pearlescent paint, so something a bit different to the other plain and metallic finishes. I was originally planning to get the Turbo Blue, but switched to the grey after seeing it in person. I’d say it’s the classiest colour by far (IMHO) and I’m still happy with it three years later.

Assuming the grey option is still Daytona Grey, it’s worth noting that it’s a (subtle) pearlescent paint, so something a bit different to the other plain and metallic finishes. I was originally planning to get the Turbo Blue, but switched to the grey after seeing it in person. I’d say it’s the classiest colour by far (IMHO) and I’m still happy with it three years later.
I'd agree Daytona is a lovely Grey - I had a Lava grey back in the day and that was nice as well

Reactions: AdamInKent
Went and viewed all the colours today in person, as others have alluded to - the Daytona Grey is the absolute business and looks ace, the Python Yellow was actually uninpsiring in the flesh whereas the Glacier white was subtle and probably my second favourite. I wasnt a fan of Navarro Blue but the black looked ok too!

Reactions: AdamInKent
Went and viewed all the colours today in person, as others have alluded to - the Daytona Grey is the absolute business and looks ace, the Python Yellow was actually uninpsiring in the flesh whereas the Glacier white was subtle and probably my second favourite. I wasnt a fan of Navarro Blue but the black looked ok too!
I had my heart set on Turbo blue but couldn't get the spec i wanted, i always thought black was boring...until i got it and love it. Navarro blue looks great it the sun. I agree about python yellow i think it is wishy washy, preferred the previous yellow, Vegas?

Still looking but while I do - anyone able to shed any light on this little carbon extra - spotted on a new car for sale....cant find any mention of one anywhere but I'm sure its an official Audi part...

Attachments

• spoiler.jpg
    spoiler.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 30
£1500??? Ouch and not even guaranteed pre-peg carbon

Must be someone out there who makes these aftermarket?

:blink:

Update:

Finally located the car I want (including the elusive spare wheel I wanted) now thw onus is on me to get my ST shifted and quickly!!!

Its gonna happen!!!

Reactions: marshalld
Update:

Finally located the car I want (including the elusive spare wheel I wanted) now thw onus is on me to get my ST shifted and quickly!!!

Its gonna happen!!!
What colour??

Update:
ST has sold and my new S3 is on its way with a proposed pick up day of Good Friday!

Only thing I'm curious now is what tyres will it have on it? I detest Bridgestones so I am crossing my fingers that is has the Goodyear F1 Supersports on it instead. Had a VIN check done by Audi UK and it doesnt go into that much detail...

Reactions: vatdim and RS5 JON