Help Please Trying to understand how thieves broke in (no visible damage to windows, but drivers door key barrel removed)

matt5594

Reaction score
So my car was broken into this week and they managed to code a key and almost got away. But how did they get in, there was no broken windows, no other damage except that the drivers side key lock barrel was completely gone.

Does removing the barrel simply unlock/open the door? It shouldn’t, right??

I don’t have access to the car at this time, but if there isn’t a barrel present in the door and if the car is locked by the fob, will that the handle open the door? Also, could the thieves, assuming they didn’t destroy the barrel when they removed it, could they simply insert the barrel back in and do whatever it is they did the first time round?

I simply don’t get how they got in, in the first place!

Usually they use a locksmith key device on the barrel to get in and then obd tool to code a new key.

View: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10214872591470771&id=1306595718

Mine was stolen that way couple of years ago. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/399379/?amp=1

Not sure why they would have taken the barrel but in theory they can create a copy key to get in if they put it back in

Sent from my NE2213 using Tapatalk

I’m hoping that’s not the case as I don’t want to have to get a whole new lock and keys from Audi but then it seems pointless if they can just do this again. The taking of the barrel is the part that’s really throwing me, if you can get in with that thing, quickly code a new key to turn off the alarm etc, then why go to the bother of taking the barrel.

Assuming that they coded my key out of the system, even if I could get in by putting my key into the barrel then locking or unlocking the door, what then, what’s the point as I couldn’t drive it anywhere as my key is no longer recognised by the car/immobiliser.

It’s just making no sense why they took it.

I see from your link that your one was keyless entry, right? Mine isn’t, it has a fob which unlocks via a button press but I didn’t think those types of fob were vulnerable to the keyless repeating signal thing to get a car to unlock?

any car with a key barrel in the drivers door can be opened by removing/pulling or breaking the barrel out of it... no removing it doesn't open the door but once it is out you can operate the the little lever that moves the mechinsm so it slides to the open position. (that is with any locking mechanism by the way) so you hurting your head about getting a new key barrel put it won't stop thieves... it makes it harder for them to get in. So best to put it back.... and keep your eye on the car as they'll come back for it.

any car with a key barrel in the drivers door can be opened by removing/pulling or breaking the barrel out of it... no removing it doesn't open the door but once it is out you can operate the the little lever that moves the mechinsm so it slides to the open position. (that is with any locking mechanism by the way) so you hurting your head about getting a new key barrel put it won't stop thieves... it makes it harder for them to get in. So best to put it back.... and keep your eye on the car as they'll come back for it.
Hmm, problem is that they took the barrel.

unless you fill it up with a metal plate (welded) there is nothing you can do about it... but think twice about that one because if you pull the battery from your remote(battery replacement) it'll loose sync with the alarm and the key will be needed to open the door. So you can re-sync your keyfob (re-sync is done with the ignition barrel not the door barrel)

unless you fill it up with a metal plate (welded) there is nothing you can do about it... but think twice about that one because if you pull the battery from your remote(battery replacement) it'll loose sync with the alarm and the key will be needed to open the door. So you can re-sync your keyfob (re-sync is done with the ignition barrel not the door barrel)
Ah, I just need a temporary measure whereby the door will only unlock with the fob, I don’t have a spare barrel at the moment to put it it’s place.

go to the scrappy and pull off the barrel outer cover from a drivers doorhandle than fill the hole up with some aluminium foil, slap the cover on and call it a day until the barrel arrives. the doorlock will work of the remote unless you pull the battery out or you drop it and the battery looses contact. than you'll have to re-sync it. It'll be temporary and will make it a little harder for thieves to just walk up to your car and open the door.

Last edited: