Facelift A3 with Xenons - No self-levelling dance at switch on?

Mikeso51

Reaction score
My 2017 MY facelift A3 1.4tfsi Sport has factory-fit xenon headlights. These are presumably less than the 2000 lumen limit, because headlamp washers are not fitted. The automatic self-levelling on these headlights appears to operate correctly when I test it with a load in the boot, but there is no up/down "dance" at switch on.

Is this a fault, or is it correct for this particular set-up?

TIA

Xenons should have washers by law, from factory, so either its had an accident & replaced with a non washer bumper or they were retrofitted.

Pics.of headlights & the wiring to the headlights would be good.

Wrong on all counts NHN.

from the Government website:

Headlamp washing and levelling systems are a legal requirement and required if the LED headlamp or high intensity discharge lamp has a luminous intensity exceeding 2,000 lumens.

My facelift car was unquestionably factory-fitted with Xenons. This was standard on Sport models.

My car has never been in an accident or had the bumper replaced. Washers not required because light output < 2000 lumens.

My query was with regard to the automatic self-levelling system. My car has this, but doesn't go through a switch on up/down routine. I suspect this may be normal on cars like mine, but I was looking for confirmation (or otherwise)

Reactions: dantdi
Then they have changed this as it was defacto & widely known & fitted to all xenon cars.

But hey, you knows best ;)

Curious to the missing washers too. Could you PM me your reg or vin and I can check your factory build info …

Indeed it wasn’t fitted with them from factory. You learn something new everyday

Headlamp washer system8X0Without headlamp washer system

Your vehicle is fitted with D5S bulbs which I’m guessing meet the <2000 lumen requirement for MOT.

Reactions: dantdi and Mikeso51