Coolant Sensor Leaking

THE MONSTER

Reaction score
1997 A4 B5 1.8t Sport AEB Engine.. Noticed my water Res was losing fluid
so looked about usal suspects and noticed at the back of the engine white residue on the bottom of the flange where the Coolant Sensor sits.

I am suspecting it's coming from the Sensor housing and maybe the 0 ring as shot it..Temp is normal just the leak..
My problem is what Sensor do I replace it with mine is the Blue one at the moment and the top lead connection is square shaped..

I have been Audi not knowing exactly which one I wanted but I think it's discontinued anyway,so cannot get a genuine one by the look of it..
Reading on other posts I think I maybe need the green 4 Pin Part number 059 919 501..

How about this one https://www.autodoc.co.uk/febi-bils...MI9KiP4JOGhQMVY5RQBh3J0QzPEAQYASABEgKxbPD_BwE

Last edited:
If your sensor is working, could it be worth seeing if you can get a replacement O ring? It could be a standard size that you might find in a set of O rings

If your sensor is working, could it be worth seeing if you can get a replacement O ring? It could be a standard size that you might find in a set of O rings
Hi, Thankyou for your reply..I actually thought about that myself and the 0 ring is still available at Audi...

I supose it depends what condition the Sensor is in thinking that maybe it's the original Sensor ..
I have had the car since 2007 and have not changed it..

But as far as I know you cannot get an original from Audi it is discontinued..

I was actually thinking of VW the Passat in fact which some models have the 1.8t AEB Engine I wonder if they are still available..

I would need to know the exact part number of mine to see if that would be an option..

Reactions: alpesh26
Hi, Thankyou for your reply..I actually thought about that myself and the 0 ring is still available at Audi...

I supose it depends what condition the Sensor is in thinking that maybe it's the original Sensor ..
I have had the car since 2007 and have not changed it..

But as far as I know you cannot get an original from Audi it is discontinued..

I was actually thinking of VW the Passat in fact which some models have the 1.8t AEB Engine I wonder if they are still available..

I would need to know the exact part number of mine to see if that would be an option..
I have taken the Sensor out now and the Part Number is 059 919 501 B Audi say they don't see that number on their computer..

I have ordered a new 0 ring and C clamp will fit Wed and I have cleaned my sensor up and fitted it back in Flange pipe..

But it still leaks and it looks like it maybe coming from the Flange itself which is another common fault apparently..

God knows how you get at that really is tight to the bulkhead with room just to get your hand in but you cannot see all around it...

Fit the new seal first and see how that goes. If it’s leaking from the plastic housing itself it’s tricky to do but you just need patience and small hands! I had the pipe split and break off which want easy for me to do but my dad could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk