Timing Belt Teeth stripped

Asahi

Reaction score
2004 A4 Avant 1.9TDI PD130 @ 220,000miles

Driving along carridgeway and thought I heard some sublte strange noises, when slowing at junction the car had a little shudder I suppose. When cruising it suddenly lost all power at the pedal then eventually the engine died. Luckily managed to steer into a side road to get recovered. Turned it over few times but just cranked and did nothing.

I assumed it had overheated but upon investigating once recovered home it looks like the waterpump gear is not straight so probably seized up and ate all of the teeth on the belt. The timing belt is tight and it's just the teeth missing. Weird as I replaced the timing belt and pump 15-20k miles ago when I got the car.

I've included some pictures below, I took the rocker cover off to have a look but I don't think it's possible to tell from here without seeing the valve/pistons right? I don't know what to look for.

I thought it might be worth buyng a timing belt kit and pump to put on and give a spin before scrapping for a whole £150. From what I've read it's highly unlikely something isn't damaged however some are lucky.

link to album

View: https://imgur.com/a/TOIllNV

Last edited:
It seems unlikely that there wouldn't be any engine damage, if your handy with the spanners then a straight engine swap would probably be the way to go.. £150 is a bit low for scrap, you could make plenty more by parting it out yourself

Reactions: Asahi
So it turns out the waterpump did sieze and ate the belt completely. The backing remained in one piece it's just cut because that's how I removed it.

IMG 2668
IMG 2396