Rear brake pad change with VCDS

Rjw76

Reaction score
Hi, Im really hoping someone who‘s done this job can help me here… I’m trying to change the rear discs and pads, and am unable to push the piston back into the calliper for the new pads to go in. Prior to starting the job I (at least thought) deactivated the parking brake with VCDS, first cycling through the handbrake and leaving it in the off position, then using VCDS and selecting “rear lining change mode” and could hear the brakes retracting. I’ve now stripped the brakes down to the point of replacing the pads, but using the caliper piston wind in tool, I can (relatively) easily rotate the piston in one direction (with with the tool this is effectively moving the piston out) but it won’t rotate and retract. It feels solid, like the parking brake is still engaged somehow.

Have I done something wrong? Any tips would be most appriciated!

Thank you!

Last edited:
yeah use vcds to retract it, wait for the lot to retract, assemble the rear brakes (no need to remove the slack between caliper and pad) do the other side the same way, when done put the car on the ground, start it up, release the e-brake, and press the brake pedal a few times. that should take care of the slack between the pads and the calipers. Apply the e-brake again try and pull away... the e-brake should be working properly aggain.

push back the piston - not designed to rotate

Reactions: spartacus68
Yup do NOT rotate the piston.

I stripped a caliper down that was sticking where it had the piston turned instead of pushed back in.
There’s loads of tiny ball bearings held in by a long spring, rotating the piston can cause these to drop out from the spring end as it becomes dislodged by the piston turn.

IMG 5715

DD1E9236 DB1F 4544 8B6C CD40D0E564E5

4A499451 9764 4009 B26A BA3AAE761119

IMG 5800

5AADF834 E1D5 439D B639 DE1A10CA1EEB

Sent from under the bridge…..

Reactions: ahtcap