Retro fitted reversing camera / passenger dipping mirror

Trevolly

Reaction score
Hi all

Im wondering if anyone can offer any advise with an issue I’m currently having. In 2017 I was contacted by Audi Crawley (Inchscape back then) and was offered an Audi A3 Black Edition Saloon as the original customer had pulled of the deal. The car was fully specked apart from a reversing camera and I said to Audi Crawley that that was something I wanted. Audi Crawley suggested a retro fitted reversing camera and they paid for it to be fitted and coded by a third party company.

The reversing camera has worked for nearly seven years now along with everything else in the car and there has been no issues. The car has only been serviced, MOT’d etc by Audi and at no time did this retro fit cause any issues. The car has also been covered for its life by an Audi Official Extended warranty and there has been work carried out to the car by Audi under this warranty (fuel flap wouldn’t open and the water pump failed).

In August 2023 I had an accident and needed work carried out to repair the car. The car went to a garage owned by Directline as all the Audi garages near me were busy and were quoting 2 months for the repair. All repairs were fine and all worked in the car so all was good. In Feb this year I noticed that the lacquer on the passenger side front wing was peeling so I contacted the repair company and they said it was covered by a 5 year warranty so that was all good.

The work to the wing was done well but after a couple of days I noticed that the passenger side wing mirror wasn’t dipping when reversing so I contacted the garage and said about the issue. They assured me that they wouldn’t have touched the wing mirror but to bring it in to check. I did and they said that the mirror was connected , there was no damage and the car wasn’t showing any errors - they couldn’t work out why the mirror wasn’t working.

I booked the car in to Audi Brighton under the extended warranty. Today Audi Brighton have called and said that the retro fitted reversing camera is the reason the passenger wing mirror is not working. I explained that the reversing camera was retro fitted under the instructions of Audi Crawley and that the reversing camera AND the dipping mirror have worked together for the last 7 years and I can’t understand why the camera would be causing the parking mirror to fail after this time. The car has operated with both for 7 years with no issues.

Audi Brighton have gone away saying that they think the only way to get the dipping mirror to work is to disable the reversing camera but are talking to their higher technicians?!?!

So to underline - the dipping side mirror is official and part of the Black Edition package but this is the feature that isn’t working - the reversing camera is retro fitted and is working.

Can anyone offer any help or advice on this issue.? If I told AudI to disable the reversing camera would it be able to be re-enabled? Obviously all the physical parts are there as it’s been in place for 7 years.

Yes. Both fold in and the heated mirror option works. Everything was working perfectly and together. It just won’t drop when the car goes in to reverse and Audi Brighton say its the retro reversing camera. I think the garage that sprayed the wing have done something with the coding tbh.

I was just looking at your site funnily enough.

I hesitate to suggest this, but sometimes the obvious things can be overlooked.

Have you set the mirror selection switch to the n/s mirror before you go into reverse?

Cannot see the reversing camera causing issues with the mirror dip however without knowing how the camera has been retrofitted it’s impossible to know for sure. Would also need to know what testing has been completed in order to arrive at this conclusion.

If this was me I would, in addition to scanning for any obvious errors:

1) check the coding for the mirrors to make sure all is correct.
2) disconnect the reversing camera to prove the diagnosis.
3) if camera disconnection allows mirror dip to work then reverse engineer the camera installation.

Who at Brighton have you been taking with?

Hi All. The issue has all been sorted. Apparently an expert at Brighton looked and apparently reset the car and then had to do several software upgrades which allowed both the reversing camera and the mirror dip to work. Not sure why it would stop working when everything was fine for 6 1/2 years. Thanks for replying all.

As these are not officially available audi retrofits i doubt that “software” updates would have resolved the issues as coding etc would have been returned to stock, ie the retrofit coding removed, during said updates. My guess is that updates have been performed and then someone that knows what they are actually doing has manually coded the retrofits as needed. Glad its all sorted :)