Mudflaps/guards for saloon?

Simon50s

Reaction score
I washed my car for the first time today after collecting it about 4 weeks ago and noticed a couple of small stone chips on the rear quarter. Perhaps inevitable but was hoping I wouldn't see any so soon, especially after having the ceramic coating applied.

It was suggested I could have mud guards/flaps fitted to help prevent stones flicking up from the front wheels which would help. I'm taking it to my local Audi dealer on Thursday to have my summer wheels fitted and was going to ask them to fit the mud flaps at the same time. Anyone else had these fitted to their A3 Saloon?

Also, the small marks appear white on the bodywork. Is this because the primer coat is a light colour? They're more like surface scractches but seem to show up more because they appear white.

IMG 6234 v2

I think the mudflaps are the same for Saloon and Sportback. My first 8Y had the mudflaps already fitted by Audi, I think back then they did that to all cars that came to Finland as all cars seemed to have those, liked it or not. My current car came without, and it was a first thing to do to get those fitted. Cost around 100 € with installation. But I still got similar stone chips on the side of my car right under the side window. I fixed those with the touch-up paint. Not easy to do so they don't pop up even worse than the chips. I've also got some white scratches from stones I guess, I'll try to polish them later on summer, let's see how that turns out.

Reactions: Simon50s
Yes, my previous old A3 Sportback had the mudflaps from new.

With so much grit on the roads left over from winter and lots of gravel roads in Finland I'll get the mudflaps fitted. Anything to limit stonechips has to be a good thing. Shame I didn't think about it earlier.

I've ordered mudflaps and was thinking of fitting them myself. I couldn't find anything on this anywhere for the 8Y.

IMG 6277

I was assuming it would be straightforward.

Would they use the same holes as seen here with blanks?

I’ve just fitted some to a s-line sportback. The 3 lower fixings are removed plus you have to drill a couple of holes in the wheel arch liner behind the tyre. Hardest part is removing the wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_4887.jpeg
    IMG_4887.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4885.jpeg
    IMG_4885.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
Looks good but tbh drilling any holes has put me off so having second thoughts.

Not sure if I even want a garage to do it for me

I think I was unlucky with my first stone chips. I now remember one morning on my way to work something hit the car after an SUV sped past me. Probably came from one of it’s tyres at speed.

I think I was unlucky with my first stone chips. I now remember one morning on my way to work something hit the car after an SUV sped past me. Probably came from one of it’s tyres at speed.
Drilling the holes is nothing. They are on the bottom edge of the arch liner and secure the inner edge of the mudflap using a couple of plastic push clips. You only drill through the plastic and you can put your hand behind your the plastic and feel there’s nothing there