B8.5 Slow and steady project

Stickystuff

Reaction score
Afternoon all, I’ve been on the forum on and off for many years. I’ve currently got a project S3 which I’m part way through and this is sort of my daily as I’ve also got a company van I use.

I thought I’d document a few things that I’ve done to it since I purchased it back in December.

It originally had the 5 spoke alloys but I came from an C6 A6 and preferred those so I swapped them over before selling the A6. Plus the tyres were in much better condition.

I also fitted a removable towbar and hide/stow away wiring with a dedicated module all programmed into the car to activate all the proper processes on the car. I had a bit of help from you guys and also on the VCDS forum for the correct programming code to make it work!

Attachments

• IMG_2143.jpeg
    IMG_2143.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2064.jpeg
    IMG_2064.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3061.jpeg
    IMG_3061.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
I’ve also just fitted an CarPlay screen too. I didn’t realise how cheap the reversing cameras were at the time so I’ve just ordered one to fit soon. It’s a great way to connect my phone(iPhone) without the use of a cable.
IMG 3062

The only downside is that I need to take the Speedo binnacle housing off and modify it to accept the new back plate for the screen. I’m currently driving with it off although it doesn’t affect any performance just visual.
Other than that for how much it was I’m impressed with the quality and fit.
Another thing is I had to remove the radio and heater controls… as the heater control has a sensor for temperature in it wucks air in and you can see it’s never been cleaned out so very dusty
IMG 2926

View attachment IMG_2925.jpeg

I also had to remove the glove box in order to fit the 4G aerial and the GPS aerial. There are 2 USB connectors that I’ve put into the glove box.

Despite it being an S Line it is actually a basic spec car and doesn’t have a light in the glovebox so I’ve just run them through that slot for now. I may see if there are some sort of adapters/brackets to hold them in a better position at some point.

View attachment IMG_2947.jpeg

But I can access my songs Spotify etc and use my phone satnav as you can see and all my phone functions. Other than that the normal radio is also functional and the MMI settings are accessible.

I’m hoping to get the camera in the next week and spend a few hours fitting it. I need to figure out the best route for the cable. When I put the car into reverse it automatically blanks the screen and shows the usual green yellow red lines which also bend when I turn the steering wheel so I just need the camera now.

I’ve got a similar android setup in my B8. Heat gun on the rear plastic or gentle pressure took the black backing off that the original screen was housed behind. If you’re leaving it there and not removing when you sell it’s simple enough.

I’ve had my reverse camera ready to go for a well but I haven’t got round to running the wires.

Grizzly, What did you do about the Chrome trim? that looks to be coming off with the original screen panel. It's all loose, but on mine I also need to remove the backing from around the dial binnacle and then refit that, they are separate panels but there is a section that is melted holding them together.
I've contacted someone too see if they can scan the original and the new one and see if they can 3D print me a combination so it all clicks in properly, they haven't come back to me yet though.

I feel like it will just vibrate when I put it together as it just sits on the screen panel and doesn't secure. Have you got any photos of how you fitted yours?

I believe in the b8 there two separate trim panel at each side of the main dash binnacle.

Once I had the main trim piece which was sliver and the black housing attached which had the original screen in off I loaded them popped the black backing off.

From there the metal cage to fit the new one went on and bolted/screwed into the original screen holes, followed by the original silver trim piece that I had separated from the black housing. Then the new black plastic backing plate for the android screen clamped it all in place. Before I connected the screen.

I don’t have any pictures of me fitting as I only tend to take after shots it’s always a second thought and I never seem to do it in the moment.

This might help you out though:

View: https://youtu.be/0S5CctGAxSM?si=FaSC_bSkQUMFlFci

Ah interesting, thank you, I watched another video they did on a Q5 and they removed the original trim, where as on this one it looks like it goes over the old trim.

I will have a go at fitting it back in tonight and seeing if it will fit over the original. My B8.5 doesn't have a split trim like the one in the video, it goes all the way across the speedo and radio etc.

Thanks for the video should make it easier to figure out now without removing things

I went to fit it last night but my super glue had dried up. I managed to find some model plastic cement but it doesn’t dry quickly. I’m going to try and fit it all back up today. I thought that I had to take the original screen panel off so started to split it down.