Sportback Lots of errors and warnings = ABS sensor

Ben E

Reaction score
2016 PFL RS3. Standard. 30k miles

Driving home, more lights than a Christmas tree appear on dash and screen.

Symptoms on dash:

TPMS warning light (on screen and light)
Headlight calibration warning (on screen)
ABS errors
Auto hill hold warning ( on screen)
Traction control warning ( on screen)
+ a few others i think

Scanning with Carista obd dongle :

22 ecus scanned
14 returned errors below
  • Can network gateway
    • Static current: too large
  • Engine
    • Databus error value received
  • ABS
    • Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS): Signal Malfunction
    • Electromechanical parking brake control module: Wheel speed sensor implausible signal
    • Rear Right ABS wheel speed sensor: Range/Performance
  • Power Steering
  • Back up Camera
  • Steering Column lock

Lots of research suggested a possible battery fault. I tried charging battery overnight. No effect, errors returned after clearing.

Solution:

Really whats going on here is one main error:
  • Rear Right ABS wheel speed sensor: Range/Performance
and 13 sub related other errors because of this.

Replacement of rear right abs/wheel speed sensor fixed the issue. Audi Part number WHT003856A (With cruise control) ... Bosch equivalent part number 0986594525 (with cruise control) that i fitted

E.g if this happens to you, check your ABS sensors, Carista can do a live readout of sensors. I confirmed my rear right was all over the place on a short slow test drive, One minute it would show a speed of 120mph, the next 0, all while doing an actual 30mph across the other sensors.

IMPORTANT NOTE WHEN CHANGING ABS/WHEEL SPEED SENSOR ON AUDI A3/S3/RS3 …. If you have a cruise control stalk, in any form, you must purchase the abs/wheel speed sensor WITH cruise control support. Audi sometimes label this as ‘with adaptive cruise control’. Don’t let the word adaptive fool you. Mine is not adaptive. If you have ANY cruise control you need the one ‘with adaptive cruise control’. Otherwise the car will throw a new error: ‘Rear right ABS wheel speed sensor: incorrect component installed’ Visually the ABS sensor with and without cruise control support are identical in every way, Apart from resistance. Make sure you get the correct one! I had to learn the hard way and buy both. Also note you need to buy the correct sensor for the corner you are working on. You cannot swap an offside, to a nearside , or front to back etc

Once you have changed the abs sensor, see YouTube (it’s easy), you will need to clear all errors with Carista or VCDS. Note the TPMS light will not go away until you drive and the wheel rotates.

The Faulty part (audi part number WHT003856A, there has since been 'B' and 'C' revisions of this part). Visually it looked fine, but was knackered inside.
. IMG 5245

The errors in carista prior to fixing:
IMG 5208

The bosch replacement ( offside rear right with adaptive cruise control support )
Screenshot 2024 05 02 at 92558PM

All those warnings fixed for £20 of sensor.

Hope this helps someone in the future !

Last edited:
Reactions: northpole and BIGDEK
Also worth noting: ABS sensor torque = 8NM.

Nice and gentle when torquing the screw, it's only a plastic sensor. Hand tight plus a smidge more is all that's needed.

Last edited:
Had this very same issue a few weeks back.
2015 PFL rs3.
ATE abs sensors are the ones Audi use.
Bit the bullet and ordered and fitted a febi bilstein one, colour and part numbers match. Also got another one for the driverside. Also some new stainless torx screws.
So far so good.

Sent from my SM-S921B using Tapatalk