End of an Audi Era

elan2s

Reaction score
Have had Audi's continuously since 1997 (1 A4 Saloon, 2 A6 Saloons and then 5 A6 Avants) I today exchanged my A6 for this VW Tiguan.

My A6 was now out of the Audi warranty and given the very high cost of things if they should go wrong I was looking to change my car, buying an extended warranty did not seem to be good value compared to getting a new car. Additionally, for those not in the UK, we have an additional annual vehicle tax for cars that had a MRP of over £40k which this year had risen to £410. Given the mileage I now do, having stopped working full time, I struggled to justify this additional cost. I therefore wanted to get something under the £40k threshold but still having similar space to the A6. My wife has had a number of Golfs (Mk6, Mk7 and Mk8) and is currently on her second Mk8 Life so not new to VW. The Tiguan ticked all the boxes, and has only just been released in the UK (this was the first one my sales person had handed over)

img_3289_1e4655132812a938869ce90ecc1dcc6b1331619b.jpeg

I looked at getting a Q3 but the offer from Audi (even at a VIP customer event was) laughable (the salesman agreed!), even more so as the Q3 will be replaced soon with a version based on the MQB-Evo platform, that this Tiguan is based on. The Tiguan also has the new MIB-4 infotainment system and this is a big step up from the MIB-3 system in the Golf and A6.

This car is a 1.5TFSi with MHEV, basically the same engine that is in the Q3 35TFSi.

Whilst I no longer have an Audi I will continue to drop by and try to help other posters get the most out of their A6

Reactions: 45bvtc and Sandra
Happy new car mate, and don't blame you for dumping audi, I'm considering this also having just shelled out 2300 for a replacement alternator for my C8 A6 50tdi. I will never buy another diesel audi with all the added emissions rubbish on them.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Reactions: elan2s
Happy new car mate, and don't blame you for dumping audi, I'm considering this also having just shelled out 2300 for a replacement alternator for my C8 A6 50tdi. I will never buy another diesel audi with all the added emissions rubbish on them.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk
I think the use case for a diesel these days is very questionable, unless you do very high mileage and it is under warranty or someone is paying the bills. The costs and risks associated with all the additional stuff is simply too expensive for the normal owner. How many people (even if Audi owners are probably in a higher income group than many) have a spare £2-3k hanging around to pay for an unexpected bill like a BSG or replacement AdBlue system? My experience of selling the Audi (I traded it in for ease as I cold probably have got a bit more from WBAC or Motorway) is that the prices for trade ins has softened somewhat over the past few months. I only cleared a couple of thousand over the finance settlement figure and even that had reduced from when I ordered the car at the end of March to delivery.

Congratz on the new car. I also sold my a6 2019 with huge discount just to get rid of pain and stress of owning worst car ever made.
Now driving an older b8.5 a5. Times have changed with Audi, nowadays their reliability seems to be one of the worst.

Sorry to hear you've sold the A6 but glad you'll still be around on here as you're a fount of knowledge on these cars and have helped me out a few times.

Good luck with the new car - latest model looks nice and I'm yet to see one on the road. Don't think I'd get on with the massive Tesla-style screen though.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you've sold the A6 but glad you'll still be around on here as you're a fount of knowledge on these cars and have helped me out a few times.

Good luck with the new car - latest model looks nice and I'm yet to see one on the road. Don't think I'd get on with the massive Tesla-style screen though.

Thanks for the kind words and I am glad I have been of help to you over the years.

The standard screen, which I have, while still fairly large (12.9”) is smaller than the optional 15” one that many of the press launch cars had. In use, I am finding it not much different to the screen in the A6 and it is certainly more responsive. The tiles and custom short cuts mean you can get to what you need quickly and safely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk