And I drove over a steel railway sleeper....

rickquattro

Reaction score
......in the fast lane of the M6 near Penrith at about 85mph. The car in front jinxed and cleared it, I hit it! The front left punctured immediately so off to the hard shoulder and fit the emergency spare. The police Volvo goes past southbound to rejoin and clear it, then pulls in behind me to ask if everything is ok. Two bent rims and two replacement tyres and a lot of hammering by the tyre guy sees me cautiously back on the road to Edinburgh facing a big bill for new rims. The truck was no where to be seen. I doubt that the guy munching on his Ginsters pie even knew he lost the thing off his truck. Fortunately it didn't join anyone in the front seet of their car.

And it's only Friday 13th today. I am staying in bed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

Rick

That's bad luck fella, gotta feel for you. And it's probably a good idea for you not to move from bed today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Bad news mate, but it sounds like it could have been much worse.
Glad you are okay.

Sorry to hear but yes, could have been worse. My boss's wife had similar experience when the tailift off of a lorry dropped off in front of her Not fun!

Off topic but V5Ade, how do you find the golf as have been offered a low mile V5 but not sure if going to like as much as my A3 1.8t

A friend of mine had a V5 but got fed up with the low MPG (I think he was getting under 20mpg most of the time), and got an A3 TDI Quattro. He said the A3 felt better built and he much preferred it to the V5.

Similiar thing happened to me in my golf days. One of those massive yellow drainage pipes. Glanced the side of the car as it fell off the truck carrying it.

However I did get the company truck name and reg, and was fortunate to catch up with the driver (his delivery was only 400m away.)

Damage to sill was paid for no questions asked by thier insurance.

Suggest you investigate M6 camera footage. As two new rimms and inevitable suspension damage will be costly. (I know cause I've done that one too in my S3..)

I would hope that the police would find out who's load it was and ******* them about it, but they might just get it moved and leave it at that.
I'd try contacting them, reminding them they spoke to you, and asking if they have details about who's load it was, so you can chase up and see if there's any way you might get compensation.

The V5 is a cracking car when it's running well! I love mine, however it looks like they have also been affected by coil pack problems.

Mine is thisty, but I can get 38mpg on a motorway, and I normally average 25mpg round town. I will dip below 20mpg but you have to keep the revs very hight to do that.
I sounds great as standard, but it was even better when I got my Milltek fitted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Camera footage is no good - I went through this recently. After an incident on the motorway I phoned the Highways Agency - they do have camera's but due to data protection they are not allowed to store the footage.

The police can store the footage but only if it affects the road network.!

Oooh, sorry to hear that Rick, not good at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif My brother-in-law almost had the same thing months back when a lorry shed it's load on the M8. Fortunately he missed most of it.

My pal nearly cause an accident on the M77, just as you leave Glasgow on a hill. We stopped on the hard shoulder behind my other pals MG midget that had broken down and tried to find out what the problem was. I looked back at his Citroen BX to see it slowly rolling down the hill (disc had cooled and contracted) I ran back any leaned in the open window and started to pull at the handbrake but to no avail. I also tried to punch it into a gear, this didnt work either. At this point the car was a jogging pace and was half way out on the 'slow' lane. I got out and tried to get in the car properly so I could stand on the brakes, but as I tried to get in the door, I jammed my hand in the door (god knows how but it hurt like hell!)

Fortunatly my pals arrived and got behind the car to stop it, but I was in the slow lane by this point. I'd hate to think what could have happened!

Been on the phone to Audi and for my A3 thats two wheels at £286 each and two tyres at £175 for the pair....May just get the other Alloys that I wanted a bit earlier than expected......

Yeah, my old BX did exactly the same - had parked it on the drive, and a mate came back and said "nice parking mate". I looked out of the window it was slap-bang in the middle of the cul-de-sac. Handbrake was on, we couldn't push it anywhere, but it must have rolled back itself. Glad I had the wheels straight or I'd have taken out a wall or two.