S4 Brake upgrade

Neil_S

Reaction score
I've read a few threads about people upgrading the B6 to S4 brakes and this got me very interested as a next project after recently installing the Kw V2 coilovers.

I have the 1.9 TDi with the 288mmx25mm brake discs and as I understand it you can upgrade these to the B5 or B6 S4 brakes with the correct carriers and calipers?

Do any of the other cars in the VAG family have the same parts? I heard that the MKIV R32 may have suitable parts?

For the people that have done this upgrade, where did you get hold of your parts from? I assume alot of people got them second hand?

My plan was to get a set second hand and probably have the calipers powder coated and put in a new set of seals and possibly buy new discs and pads depending on condition.

Would be interested to hear anybody that has experience of doing this upgrade, if it was worth it.

I am interested in upgrading the brake lines at the same time and moving to DOT 5.1.

Anybody know of anybody parting with a set of S4 brakes? :D

Neil_S said:
I've read a few threads about people upgrading the B6 to S4 brakes and this got me very interested as a next project after recently installing the Kw V2 coilovers.

I have the 1.9 TDi with the 288mmx25mm brake discs and as I understand it you can upgrade these to the B5 or B6 S4 brakes with the correct carriers and calipers?

Do any of the other cars in the VAG family have the same parts? I heard that the MKIV R32 may have suitable parts?

For the people that have done this upgrade, where did you get hold of your parts from? I assume alot of people got them second hand?

My plan was to get a set second hand and probably have the calipers powder coated and put in a new set of seals and possibly buy new discs and pads depending on condition.

Would be interested to hear anybody that has experience of doing this upgrade, if it was worth it.

I am interested in upgrading the brake lines at the same time and moving to DOT 5.1.

Anybody know of anybody parting with a set of S4 brakes? :D

Yes, yes, B5 isn't the same and no you can't have my brakes :)

It all bolts straight on, the R32 uses the same calipers and discs (345mm) I would guess the 3.2 A3 too. It would be better to get a full S/H set up with the disc backing plates too and the A/S4 use a different little bracket for the pad out loom.

As for performance, fantastic. No issues all fine. A great 'factory' upgrade that really works...........

Romney_023z.sized.jpg

BUB :thumbsup:

jase0851 said:
are they 19,s bub ?

Factory 18's It's funny sometimes they look huge and sometimes not.

This is my fave' pic at the moment..........

Romney_027z.jpg

They look like 18's here.

BUB

I guess I better monitor the Audi/VW classifieds, anybody got any favs?

Bub they look perfect, fill the wheels alot better.

How much should I be looking to spend on a used kit roughly?

dan_b said:
What are the dimensions of the S4 front brakes and how does that compare to the stock (on the 3.0v6)?

1.8T - 288mm
3.0 - 312mm
B7 A4 - 320mm
S4 - 345mm

Elberoth said:
1.8T - 288mm
3.0 - 312mm
B7 A4 - 320mm
S4 - 345mm

Marvellous - just to double check, it's a straightforward drop in swap for S4 discs and the S4 calipers onto the B6 stock caliper carrier?

Those S4 calipers are a bit funky though, they seem still to be single-piston floating calipers? Is there a straightforward 4/6-pot alternative, or does that require more significant changes?

Would 345mm with the S4 caliper fit inside a 17" alloy or does that necessitate going up to 18"s?

Can anyone explain why wheel measurements are such a mish-mash of metric and imperial!

dan_b said:
Marvellous - just to double check, it's a straightforward drop in swap for S4 discs and the S4 calipers onto the B6 stock caliper carrier?

Yes.

dan_b said:
Those S4 calipers are a bit funky though, they seem still to be single-piston floating calipers?

Yes.

dan_b said:
Is there a straightforward 4/6-pot alternative, or does that require more significant changes?

You may gat the RS4 setup, but it costs more than comparable Brembo kit, and the choice of pads is very limited.

dan_b said:
Would 345mm with the S4 caliper fit inside a 17" alloy or does that necessitate going up to 18"s?

It fits SOME 17' wheels.

dan_b said:
Can anyone explain why wheel measurements are such a mish-mash of metric and imperial!

This is a german car. ALL measurements are metric.

Elberoth said:
It fits SOME 17' wheels.
This is a german car. ALL measurements are metric.

Quite so, but wheels are still measured in inches, whilst tyres are a combination of metric (mm width), aspect ratio (as a % of overall diameter) and the diameter of the tyre's inner profile is given in inches! :jump: Nuts!

dan_b said:
Those S4 calipers are a bit funky though, they seem still to be single-piston floating calipers?
B6 are a single piston with 2 pads,B5 are twin piston with 4 pads,both floating calipers.

Floating calipers just don't float my boat up front to be honest - having to move the whole caliper assembly first in order to move the pad seems like the wrong way round to do things, especially having seen the size of those floating parts - those are big calipers.
Above was made mention of a Brembo option - what bits are needed for that? Is it the usual find some 2nd hand calipers off a wrecked Porsche 911 trick?

Just for info, I was on the phone to vag parts earlier and it turns out that the B6 S4 caliper is around £110 + VAT each, not a bad price at all I thought. The carriers are about £60 + VAT each.

Food for thought.

Theyre Carlsson replicas.

Awesome rim, but id really love 20"s

Really must get my calipers painted in our standard colours of Subaru STI pink, as seen on my mates R32 GTR Skyline.

DSC_0621.jpg